Sponsored by:

E55 Restoration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 e55
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
yes you are right about TCU name. Passenger floor board under carpet is where it is located. Should be an easy swap to go back to factory unit. unplug aftermarket flashed unit plug in factory unit, they are not VIN coded like ECU. Yes, TCU tune is just a reflash of the factory unit.

Can you clear the Trans codes with your reader?

I am under the impression that those had to be cleared with a Mercedes SDS?

Perhaps BBirdwell will chime in, he one of the rockstars with these cars, I take his word as automotive e55 gospel
I am not sure if I can clear the codes, I did take the car on a long trip with my family and the transmission was great. I've put about 500 miles on it, since the repair/service, I think I fixed it. I am going to throw the oem computer in to see how it responds to that.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:25 AM

2003 e55

New bumper installed
Old 03-02-2017, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
. Nice!
The following users liked this post:
Harambe (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 722 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Good to see you have it back on the road and restoring it to its glory.

I would posit that the code (shown as "past" code) was mechanical-hydraulic. The transmission (IIRC) will shift and stay in 3rd gear or the last known good gear. The limp home mode can be cleared by just a key on/off.

If the code is caused by an electrical fault, the transmission will only engage 2nd gear or reverse. Expect the shift from Park or Neutral into either of those to be harsh as the electronic control is deactivated. In the case of an electrical fault, the limp home mode can only be cleared by use of the diagnostic system.

Sorry to miss all the fun but the last month was spent troubleshooting and modifying an energetic particle detector that was having some serious issues. It's for an upcoming solar exploration mission and launch dates don't wait so there was a wee bit of pressure on the team to identify and correct the problems. :-)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
did you get the fuel tank replaced free yet?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:00 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by bbirdwell

I would posit that the code (shown as "past" code) was mechanical-hydraulic. The transmission (IIRC) will shift and stay in 3rd gear or the last known good gear. The limp home mode can be cleared by just a key on/off.

If the code is caused by an electrical fault, the transmission will only engage 2nd gear or reverse. Expect the shift from Park or Neutral into either of those to be harsh as the electronic control is deactivated. In the case of an electrical fault, the limp home mode can only be cleared by use of the diagnostic system.

Sorry to miss all the fun but the last month was spent troubleshooting and modifying an energetic particle detector that was having some serious issues. It's for an upcoming solar exploration mission and launch dates don't wait so there was a wee bit of pressure on the team to identify and correct the problems. :-)
Thanks for the information. When I replaced the conductor plate the filter was not attached to the valve body. I think that cleared up most of the problems I was having. It still has a slow engagement when going from park to reverse, and reverse to drive, 2-4 seconds. I really only notice it when the car has not reached operating temperature. I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of this transmission, but I have read of other people having the same issue. Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:03 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by red60R
did you get the fuel tank replaced free yet?
Not yet, I am going to wait until after I repair the exhaust. I don't want the techs to have to pull down a one piece exhaust system. I don't really want to give them a reason to charge me extra, and that exhaust is a pain to lower. I've had to do it twice already.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320

Sounds like you have an interesting job. Should have ask on the forum, most of us know how to fix energetic particle detectors:-P
bbirdwell (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Harambe
Thanks for the information. When I replaced the conductor plate the filter was not attached to the valve body. I think that cleared up most of the problems I was having. It still has a slow engagement when going from park to reverse, and reverse to drive, 2-4 seconds. I really only notice it when the car has not reached operating temperature. I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of this transmission, but I have read of other people having the same issue. Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance.
STAR or Xentry diagnostic systems allow you to monitor the "fill" rates inside the transmission. A value of 0 is new, a value of 15 means time to rebuild because the mechanical parts are so worn the electronics cannot compensate.

I've never tried it but here is the link:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...l#post10709594

Be advised the screen shot in his post is different from the one you would get for a W211 due to software upgrades in the diagnostic system.
Harambe (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:49 PM

2003 e55
Some progress! Spark plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, and some exhaust goodies.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:50 PM

2003 e55
Haha, gotta love some people. Can you see the problem?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 PM

2003 e55
STAR or Xentry diagnostic systems allow you to monitor the "fill" rates inside the transmission. A value of 0 is new, a value of 15 means time to rebuild because the mechanical parts are so worn the electronics cannot compensate.

I've never tried it but here is the link:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...l#post10709594

Be advised the screen shot in his post is different from the one you would get for a W211 due to software upgrades in the diagnostic system.
Thank you for the Link.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E63s
Haha, gotta love some people. Can you see the problem?
thats funny. Guess that's the hard to get to one and previous owner just said "screw it". Hey where did you get the bumper painted?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:13 PM

2003 e55
Yes, I had my neighbor, Pure Automotive, paint the bumper for me.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Nice work!

As others have said, glad you're able to do all this wrenching yourself. Can't imagine what the dealership would take outta your back-side for what you've remedied so far.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:31 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by Rob CL
Nice work!

As others have said, glad you're able to do all this wrenching yourself. Can't imagine what the dealership would take outta your back-side for what you've remedied so far.
Thank you. I'm sure it would be a very expensive bill.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM

2003 e55
I finished up the front end work today and replaced the oil cooler seals and the little timing case cover seal. Started working on the exhaust also.
Degreasing the valve covers.
I had to take about an inch out of the magnaflow x-pipe so it would fit in the tunnel.

OTC, amazing tool. Just got it on amazon.
Oil filter housing gaskets.

I think this seal was the leak.

The start of the exhaust. Added some flex pipes too.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55
It still has a slow engagement when going from park to reverse, and reverse to drive, 2-4 seconds. I really only notice it when the car has not reached operating temperature. I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of this transmission, but I have read of other people having the same issue. Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance.
Late to this party, but my 03 has a slow cold shift from P to R and then to D as well. Always has. All else is normal, and the shift is much faster when the car is warm.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
I'm suffering from "shop envy"! What I could do if I had access to all those tools...you have a very nice setup, Harambe.

Question...what is the part in the photo in which you replaced the seals you believe caused the oil leak?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by DarkStar
Late to this party, but my 03 has a slow cold shift from P to R and then to D as well. Always has. All else is normal, and the shift is much faster when the car is warm.
FWIW, prior vehicles of mine with the same transmission picked up this issue. One started after the dealership overfilled the unit. The other (I assume) was from excessive torque input >600ft lbs).

OP: Just curious, but are you planning on replacing the line on this caliper? Looks like just the outer casing is shot, but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited by Rob CL; 03-29-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:52 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by DarkStar
it seems to be pretty common, there are a few threads on it.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 PM

2003 e55
I'm suffering from "shop envy"! What I could do if I had access to all those tools...you have a very nice setup, Harambe.

Question...what is the part in the photo in which you replaced the seals you believe caused the oil leak?
Thank you. I'm pretty sure the leak ended up being the timing case cover gasket, not the round one in the oil filter housing. After seeing it I remembered doing one on a e320 awhile ago. It's a lot easier on a v6.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:07 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by Rob CL
FWIW, prior vehicles of mine with the same transmission picked up this issue. One started after the dealership overfilled the unit. The other (I assume) was from excessive torque input >600ft lbs).

OP: Just curious, but are you planning on replacing the line on this caliper? Looks like just the outer casing is shot, but I'm not 100% sure.

I looked at the other side also, same way. The actual rubber line underneath of that rubber looks pretty solid. I might just monitor it for the time being, I think it is fine.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:27 PM

2003 e55

Looking forward to starting this up.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Absolutely gorgeous

Nice enhancement to the exhaust. I like it.
most Benz trans are cold natured. It is normal until the engine is warmed properly.
Slow upshift and late engagement. All normal.
Enjoy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 Restoration