Sponsored by:

E55 Restoration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 e55
E55 Restoration

Restoring new to me E55. This week I tackled two broken exhaust manifolds, a broken converter, upper ball joints, tires, and brakes. Car rides really well now, It was painful to drive at first. Next week I'll be replacing the lower ball joints and having it aligned.
Attached Thumbnails E55 Restoration-img_5679.jpg   E55 Restoration-img_5681.jpg   E55 Restoration-img_5680.jpg   E55 Restoration-img_5701.jpg   E55 Restoration-img_5704.jpg  

E55 Restoration-img_5687.jpg   E55 Restoration-img_5689.jpg   E55 Restoration-img_5711.jpg   E55 Restoration-img_5732.jpg   E55 Restoration-img_5734.jpg  

Old 02-10-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
05 E55 AMG
how did changing the upper ball joints make the car feel?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:42 AM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by ss.dna02
how did changing the upper ball joints make the car feel?
I really couldn't tell a difference with the ball joints. But, I've only owned the car for about a week and driven it about 10 miles, so I'm not that familiar with it. The tires were extremely cupped and worn. I think that made the largest difference in ride quality. Both manifolds were completely cracked at the flanges. Anything over 1/4 throttle and the car would sound like an old pickup up truck with a horrible exhaust leak. It still sounds horrible because the previous owner destroyed the exhaust system by removing the mufflers and resonator. I'm ordering two magna flow mufflers and a x pipe/resonator. I'll be replacing everything except the stock tubing that is left with 3 inch mandrel. The oem exhaust system looked to be extremely high quality. I don't understand why someone would do this to a car like this. The rear tail pipes go from 3 inch to 1.5. It's terrible.
Attached Thumbnails E55 Restoration-img_5714.jpg   E55 Restoration-img_5715.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
A perfect example of why I will offer less money or walk away from a car modified by an amateur...the previous owner totally F'd up the exhaust; didn't even bother to install mandrel-bent tubing at the rear. Hard to understand how someone could mess it up so bad what with the easy availability of information on today's internet.

I hope you got it at a cheap price and it's good to see you restoring it to its full capability.

If this is your first E55, PM me your email address and I'll send you plenty of info on the car. I've spent over two years collecting this stuff from the dusty corners of the world wide web....
The following 3 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
driffydre (06-24-2017), FunkTron (02-13-2017), Max.H (03-04-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 12:09 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
A perfect example of why I will offer less money or walk away from a car modified by an amateur...the previous owner totally F'd up the exhaust; didn't even bother to install mandrel-bent tubing at the rear. Hard to understand how someone could mess it up so bad what with the easy availability of information on today's internet.

I hope you got it at a cheap price and it's good to see you restoring it to its full capability.

If this is your first E55, PM me your email address and I'll send you plenty of info on the car. I've spent over two years collecting this stuff from the dusty corners of the world wide web....
I actually received this car in a trade. It was supposed to be in perfect running condition. And it is far from it. But I am a tech, so repairing this car will be a fun challenge.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
That exhaust looks like a polio victim. Never ceases to amaze me how f'ed up some owners are. Good to see it's in good hands.

And welcome to the forum.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:32 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
That exhaust looks like a polio victim. Never ceases to amaze me how f'ed up some owners are. Good to see it's in good hands.

And welcome to the forum.
Thank you. Found another non-disclosed serious problem. I filled it up today and there is a pretty bad fuel smell. Seems to be coming from the tank area. It's crazy because I told the seller that I was only making the trade because I needed a back seat to put my children in. People these days amaze me. I understand the ball joints and stuff...maybe he didn't know. But a fuel leak....smh.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
If you are in the US there is an extended warranty on the tank and fuel pumps. Mine was handled free of charge.
Worth looking into for a little savings.
The following users liked this post:
Harambe (04-02-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:07 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by seanol
If you are in the US there is an extended warranty on the tank and fuel pumps. Mine was handled free of charge.
Worth looking into for a little savings.
Thanks, just saw it was stickied also. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E63s
Originally Posted by Harambe
I really couldn't tell a difference with the ball joints. But, I've only owned the car for about a week and driven it about 10 miles, so I'm not that familiar with it. The tires were extremely cupped and worn. I think that made the largest difference in ride quality. Both manifolds were completely cracked at the flanges. Anything over 1/4 throttle and the car would sound like an old pickup up truck with a horrible exhaust leak. It still sounds horrible because the previous owner destroyed the exhaust system by removing the mufflers and resonator. I'm ordering two magna flow mufflers and a x pipe/resonator. I'll be replacing everything except the stock tubing that is left with 3 inch mandrel. The oem exhaust system looked to be extremely high quality. I don't understand why someone would do this to a car like this. The rear tail pipes go from 3 inch to 1.5. It's terrible.
What in the actual F**k happened to that exhaust?

Glad youre bringing the car back to glory.
GatorMB (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 07:05 PM

2003 e55

Originally Posted by coolchuck
What in the actual F**k happened to that exhaust?

Glad youre bringing the car back to glory.
Thanks. Transmission has been acting up since I've been able to drive it. There is a strange 2-3 shift, and it completely poped out of gear today for about 5 seconds. I love how honest people are. Found a few codes. Looks like I'll be throwing a conductor plate in when I service the transmission. Sweet!
Old 02-12-2017, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I bet they stripped a bunch of performance parts from it and made it drive-able with boneyard parts.
Just a hunch.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2017, 09:08 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by GatorMB
I bet they stripped a bunch of performance parts from it and made it drive-able with boneyard parts.
Just a hunch.

Cheers
I guess that could always be a possibility with a used car that has had multiple owners. Good point. New bumper to replace the broken one. I'll post some pictures when it's painted and installed.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I know you have to hate all the repairs. But
At least you can do them yourself.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:43 PM

E63 AMG 2007
I am NOT saying Harambe made this mistake, but this thread should be required reading for posters who ask if the $6000 E55 they found for sale is a bargain. Without his skills this would cost a small fortune to sort out. Harambe where are you located? You should be able to replace fuel pumps, filters and fuel tank on Mercede's dime. Again no intention of criticizing you.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:08 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
I am NOT saying Harambe made this mistake, but this thread should be required reading for posters who ask if the $6000 E55 they found for sale is a bargain. Without his skills this would cost a small fortune to sort out. Harambe where are you located? You should be able to replace fuel pumps, filters and fuel tank on Mercede's dime. Again no intention of criticizing you.
I just talked to my friend at Mercedes. She's going to get back to me tomorrow to make sure my vin is covered. She thinks it will be. No critism taken, I appreciate all feedback. I'm located in Maryland.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:09 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by tlambert
I know you have to hate all the repairs. But
At least you can do them yourself.
Yes, I was a little intimidated at first, but it's really not that bad once you get in there.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55

Thanks. Transmission has been acting up since I've been able to drive it. There is a strange 2-3 shift, and it completely poped out of gear today for about 5 seconds. I love how honest people are. Found a few codes. Looks like I'll be throwing a conductor plate in when I service the transmission. Sweet!
How many miles on trans?

At 120K, I threw a plate and a lot of time into diagnosing what ended up being a crapped out free-wheel in my trans causing my 2-3 flare up that would result in "gear ration implausible" then limp mode. you may be better off just spending the time R&Ring the trans after you pull it rather than chasing a daemon... maybe time for a rebuild and a R&R'd/upgraded torque converter

look for brass colored flakes in the pan when you drop it and inspect the fluid

2003's were prone to transmission fluid glycol contamination due to radiator failure mixing trans fluid and coolant...this could also be a possibility just so you are aware

Last edited by BoostedAero; 02-13-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:41 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
How many miles on trans?

At 120K, I threw a plate and a lot of time into diagnosing what ended up being a crapped out free-wheel in my trans causing my 2-3 flare up that would result in "gear ration implausible" then limp mode. you may be better off just spending the time R&Ring the trans after you pull it rather than chasing a daemon... maybe time for a rebuild and a R&R'd/upgraded torque converter

look for brass colored flakes in the pan when you drop it and inspect the fluid

2003's were prone to transmission fluid glycol contamination due to radiator failure mixing trans fluid and coolant...this could also be a possibility just so you are aware
thanks for the input. I can tell the car has a new torque converter. The previous owner said it was rebuilt. I just dropped the pan and found that the filter was not properly installed. It was laying in the bottom of the pan. There was also a bolt for the valve body just lying in the bottom of the pan. Fluid is clean and coolant is full. It has an aftermarket trans cooler so maybe the radiator had let go previously. I'm going to change out the board real quick and see what happens. If this doesn't fix it...I'll probably be doing the r and r.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:55 PM

2003 e55
Fluid was clean.
Replacing the conductor plate.
Bolting it back in.I'll just have to drive it a couple days and see what happens. Tomorrow I'm tackling the lower ball joints.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 PM

E63 AMG 2007
You get in there and get it done...kudos
Max.H (03-04-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E63s
Good work going on... plus another MD E55!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Traction control malfunction could be from a TCU tune. Try to locate some blue top solenoids while you have it down.

The URO interface connector might not fit properly so reuse the old one with the new seal. At least it will save the TCU from damage.

Git er done
Old 02-14-2017, 01:11 PM

2003 e55
Originally Posted by GatorMB
Traction control malfunction could be from a TCU tune. Try to locate some blue top solenoids while you have it down.

The URO interface connector might not fit properly so reuse the old one with the new seal. At least it will save the TCU from damage.

Git er done
Is the tcu, the trans control unit? I received an oem one with the car and aparently it has some kind of aftermarket control unit. Is that possible? Or do they just re flash the oem control unit?
Old 02-14-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Is the tcu, the trans control unit? I received an oem one with the car and aparently it has some kind of aftermarket control unit. Is that possible? Or do they just re flash the oem control unit?
yes you are right about TCU name. Passenger floor board under carpet is where it is located. Should be an easy swap to go back to factory unit. unplug aftermarket flashed unit plug in factory unit, they are not VIN coded like ECU. Yes, TCU tune is just a reflash of the factory unit.

Can you clear the Trans codes with your reader?

I am under the impression that those had to be cleared with a Mercedes SDS?

Perhaps BBirdwell will chime in, he one of the rockstars with these cars, I take his word as automotive e55 gospel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 Restoration