W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?

So guys thought Id say hi here, I am a loooooong time car fanatic, been racing building, and enjoying cars for 25+years. The obsession started when I was just 12 working in my grandpas shop which led to many many cars .... becoming a tech at ford, then onto nissan, then audi bmw and mercedes. Worked as a tech in many dealerships, was a jet mechanic as well as PJ in the USAF and continued wking and playing with various cars and brands throughout the years. Now as i hit 44 ive found myself enjoying the euro cars more vs the jap crap .... or even the old muscle cars, which came a s a shocker.

So me and the lil Misses have a 2015 Kia sorento which is her daily driver and she loves it and its a great car .... I drove a 2001 BMW 330ci 5 speed that I have rebuilt completely ... oxford green ... 5 speed ... rebuilt the motor, rebuilt the trans, new clutch, new tires, kyb shocks, 3.23 diff, zhp cams, custom dyno tuned by active autowerkes making 223 rwhp and 220 rwtq versus stock was 192 rwhp and 194 rwtq, anyway loved this lil car and put ALOT of wk, time, and money into it. Sometimes I need the kia because we got 3 kids and they all dont fit properly in the bmw 2 door. So after some arguments lol, I told her if I have to get rid of my BMW that I just finished, then I was getting the auto 4 door of my choosing lol. I have ALWAYS loved the e55 amg such a sexy car, loved workin on them and other mercs, nothing really to be scared of. But I didnt have alot of money to work with and every one I found was in the 15 to 18k range.

I came across a low mileage 03 E55 has 126k on it my fav color pearl silver ..... amazing interior and mercedes just got done installing a new fuel tank, new fuel pumps, new fuel filters wiring etc etc under warranty. But they told me that it needed motor and trans mounts and a lil work here and there. Got the car and first off loved that mercedes just did the entire fuel system and it has a 2 year warranty woohoo!

Got it home and jacked it up and took the under covers off and the trans looked brand new and i also found 3 other things. 1 the motor mounts were loose, 2 the trans crossmember bolts were hand tight and the trans mount had no bolts at all!! So i tightened everything up added new bolts to the trans mount and installed a new trans adaptor knowing they like to leak. It was a lil wet nothing major but got it all clean and new one in. I took a trip too my mercedes dealer and pulled a vehicle history report and found out that in 2013 at 104k a new mercedes transmission and torque converter were installed ... double wooohooooo! In fact its got a GREAT and current maintenance record throughout its life .... seems that whoever had it did take great care of it and from time to time took it to an indy but it was cared for and obviously not abused much from the looks.

I removed the POS bosch plat plugs someone installed without anti seize they were scarey to get out .... all 16 of em lol. But cleaned the threads and installed some new NGK iridium plugs with anti seize. I changed the belts, pulleys, air filters, have a neat pump to suck out the the old supercharger fluid which all i could get out was 10ml YIKES ..... but i filled it with fresh new oil which it took about 120 to 122 ml much better.

I found that the radiator was replaced at same time the trans was with a new Nissens radiator as well. I did change the oil with new 0w40 synthetic and new merc filter. Recieved my new mounts in the mail so took out the trans and it was worn and split so intalled that and decided to drop the trans pan and change filter and do a drain and fill. Figured it didnt need it but heck had the parts and who knows what anyone else has and hasnt done. Installed the new motor mounts as well they were split completely on one side and literally fell apart upon removel and the other was split all around, but at least these are new. I ahve an SRS light and a brake light but has a new SBC as well that is just under 20k .... i put on new brake pads all around as well. Need to find out what the codes are still. The only code in the ecm was p0451 but its sporadic and i havent checked into it much.

This way it starts out with me knowing its got the proper fluids and up to date on all maintenance. I also just got done removing the air ride system and added a nice coil setup so that I dont have to worry bout the pricey pos airmatic .... I know some love it I dont these E-class came into the dealership daily with airmatic probs so for me less weight less headache and it wont effect the resale considering the cars are not worth a ton anyway. Got it all done and took it for a drive this thing rode lightyears better than with the airmatic ... it felt more solid ... turns great handles fantastic ... best thing I coulda done and sits well.

I have never been able to leave anything alone and this daily driver ... street bruiser ... hit the track from time to time will be no different. So thinking a 77mm clutched supercharger pulley, belt wrap kit, FTP heat exchanger, bosch 010 pump, headers, exhaust and a tune would be a good place to start. Thoughts and whatelse would be good or what differing mods would be better. I have no problems working on it thats not a fear I have, I always do my own work.
Attached Thumbnails So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?-merc7.jpg   So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?-merc6.jpg   So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?-merc5.jpg   So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?-merc4.jpg   So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?-merc3.jpg  

So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?-merc2.jpg  

Last edited by E55amg0220; 03-14-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Sounds like you've got it all under control. Enjoy the ride, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
very cool!

Sounds like you have a good direction. If there is anything we can help with let me know. I can probably package everything and get ya a good deal too
Old 03-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by E55amg0220
I have never been able to leave anything alone and this daily driver ... street bruiser ... hit the track from time to time will be no different. So thinking a 77mm clutched supercharger pulley, belt wrap kit, FTP heat exchanger, bosch 010 pump, headers, exhaust and a tune would be a good place to start. Thoughts and whatelse would be good or what differing mods would be better. I have no problems working on it thats not a fear I have, I always do my own work.
Upgrading the supercharger pulley eh.... prolly outta throw a $100ish scatter sheild at it from Latemodel21 (user on this forum) for safety measure. The buttons may let go and turn into a weed wacker.

Buy rear tires often and check the inside with a tire gauge if you have not yet they tend to last only 10-15k miles with an aggressive street compound due to negative camber... next mod on my list is the rear camber adjustment arms to straighten the **** out a bit and have it sit flatter on the tires.

Yep^ sounds like you are in control of the situation to say the least
Old 03-14-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
i think that rear camber kit may be a GREAT idea any link to a good kit??? i noticed this earlier when doing the suspension setup that it needed to sit better.

Is this an issue ..... the buttons letting go on the pulleys?? Ill look into it
Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
i think that rear camber kit may be a GREAT idea any link to a good kit??? i noticed this earlier when doing the suspension setup that it needed to sit better.

Is this an issue ..... the buttons letting go on the pulleys?? Ill look into it
I have BC coilovers and may venture a gamble on the $200 set off ebay and see how it does... if I do I will report back

Things like this happen with aftermarket and factory superchargers pulleys. More often with aftermarket due to the fact it seems nothing is as good as an OEM part =D

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...sed-parts.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...er-pulley.html
Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
You're planned mods will put you in the same situation as me. I went with the euro charged heat exchanger, planning to mount it up front inline with the stock if I can manage to get it to fit on the cls55. While putting in the exchanger split the cooling (I'm looking at getting a tank fabb'd for up in front of the radiator near where the intake scoops sit above the stock HE position hoping its the coldest place to put it.)

I haven't had the cooling mods but with the 77mm, exhaust and belt wrap kit it goes plenty hard, traction is really the issue now and I'm looking at getting a LSD. Can't go around a corner with any acceleration at all now with ESP on, it just kills the engines performance and brakes heavily. I am running 285 Kankook v12's on the rear so not the best.

TCU tune can be done cheap, go with Eurocharged they have good sales and I suspect my Weistec v1 I got secondhand is a bit ****.. sometimes my 1st gear shift falls on its *** even with rev limiter raised on ECU..But its usually with wheelspin so might just be the car gripping around gearshift and buzzing it out. I've been considering sending my TCU to Eurocharged to get them to replace it with their tune.

With the belt wrap kit I would also take a good look at your tensioner assembly. I had a bit of slip before I got the belt wrap kit. Once the kit was installed I noticed my assembly was wobbling a little, and had a strange internal rattle. If I applied a little more tension manually it would stay still but still rattle noise. Belt dust was forming on the BWK. The tensioner was still applying a decent amount of heavy tension so I suspect the spring was fine but a dampener in the device was shot (maybe). I installed the tensioner assembly and no more dust and more response down low.

My remote dyno from eurocharged was dipping AFR into the low 10's through 2.5-5k rev's so I suspect my belt was slipping and the charger wasn't supporting the 77mm's expected output. Might jump back on the dyno once all my cooling mods are done for a max power run! Mates ford falcon has 350kw at wheels must beat.

Get a EuroCharged tune that way you can economically retune while doing mods in stages if you're going to do it that way.

PieRat
The following 2 users liked this post by PieRat:
loungn14 (03-16-2017), shardul (03-17-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
I have a 90MM throttle body intake if interested.
https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-pe...e-cl-sl55.html
Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
Looks like you have a pretty good idea of what youd like to do. we offer Power packages that cover everything on your list. You can find the power packages here we have the largest selection of 55k specific parts. feel free to browse around the site. Looks like our stage 2 Power package will cover basically everything youre looking for.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:39 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Do point out that for the rear we manufacture a Camber (and extra Toe) adjuster kit.

Feature is unlike “rear adjustable Camber arms” that need to move top of tire outwards (reducing all important clearance to outer fender). Instead K-MAC kit replaces the lower (not upper) control arm inner bushes (2) and the unique patented design allows “precise single wrench adjustment” on car – accurately under load on alignment rack.

Comes with bush extraction tool so can be fitted on vehicle.

Also the extra “Toe” adjustment to compensate for this new rear Camber facility.

Similar kit for the front also providing Camber and Caster adjustment for the 1st time (plus replacing the 4 front highest wearing bushings). Again single wrench adjustable with up to 3 times the adjustment range of the inaccurate/one only offset position fluted bolts.

Front bushings are 2 axis/self aligning without the OEM oil and air voids. Result is noticeably improved brake and steering response.

W211 incl. AMG/Airmatic
Front Camber and Caster #502216K $480
Rear Camber and extra Toe #502526K $480

Delivery $30 one kit or $50 front and rear (average delivery time is 3 to 4 days). We accept Visa, MasterCard or PayPal.

So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?-502216-cover.jpg So heres my story but power hungry me wants more... thoughts?-502526-cover.jpg