Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Arnott Designed New vs. Remanufactured OE Struts

Originally Posted by E63007
When I recently rebuilt my front suspension (Control Arms, Torque Arms, ball joints, F1 Fabrications Adjustable Camber Upper Control Arms, Racing Brake Front Rotors and Brakes) I noticed that I had an Arnott on one side and a Leaking original AirSpring on the other. When I went to drop off my Intake to be remanufactured by RMT (Rebuild Master Tech) in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. I saw that they also rebuilt OEM Airsprings that cost for two airsprings the same price for one Arnott! Go figure! So when I went back to pick my beautifully rebuilt Intake, I picked up two "new" Airsprings! I brought the two struts in to save on "core charge" and get this, they would only accept the OEM original as they could even re-use the Arnott. This was when they explained the enormous shortcoming of the Arnott to me!! Unbelievable, I know!

Correct, Arnott offers both remanufactured Original Equipment (O.E.) front struts AND Arnott Designed NEW front struts for the E-Class W211 with Airmatic® and with and without 4MATIC® including AMG and Wagons. The one on your vehicle was obviously an Arnott designed new strut which does not include any of the Active Damping Functionality (ADS) so there would no reason or advantage to rebuild them (plus, since it is new it most likely was still functional anyway). Arnott remanufactured OE struts support the active damping functionality of the Mercedes strut but have an unknown number of miles on the internal shock while Arnott New struts have a brand new, zero mile, custom valved shock without active damping but they do adapt to the drivers style. It all comes down to budget and the age and miles on the vehicle which could be over 15 years old.

Each remanufactured OE strut is steam cleaned, tumble blasted down to raw metal, repainted with corrosion resistant paint, the internal damper is recharged with new seals, cap, and high performance shock oil replacing the old worn oil and then they undergo computer testing of the damper (Dyno tested) and ADS Coil to assure proper functionality (you would be surprised how many don't pass these tests and are trashed). Then the rebuilt air spring assembly is attached which includes new, tier one manufacturer produced, polyurethane bump stop, heavy duty crimp rings, check valve and air line fitting along with a multi-ply ContiTech air bladder. Remans cost a bit less but require a refundable core deposit and are not sold outside of the US or Europe.

Arnott designed NEW struts feature a brand new shock damper which was custom made and tuned for the E-Class and has zero miles. The new damper provides an excellent ride for your 9-15+ year old vehicle. The new strut does not include the active damping which often wear out in older 10+ year old OE units but the Arnott strut still maintains your vehicle’s luxury Airmatic® load leveling capabilities.

Arnott designed new struts provide a fully functional air suspension strut which provides auto leveling and the luxury of air springs to smooth out bumps and provide the premium ride owners expect. The top is machined in our CNC machine shop from aircraft quality American aluminum which is stronger than the pressed steel OE top. Arnott’s new struts feature thicker, name brand, multi-ply air bladders, nearly indestructible seals and a brand new, tighter fitting, bottom mount and top cap. We add the same heavy duty, multi-ply, ContiTech air bladder, crimping rings, and air line connectors as in the reman strut but replace the ADS coil with a device to turn off any dashboard air suspension warning lights.

Arnott-designed new struts are an excellent alternative for aging air suspension systems because they provide the luxury, comfort, and auto leveling of air springs but replace the older original active damping shock with a new, custom-valved shock designed to provide a great ride at a more affordable price.
Both the Arnott new and remanufactured OE units are backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty in North America and Europe and come with a 30-Day satisfaction guarantee.

Last edited by arnottdoug; 04-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.