Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Bulletproofing mods for the car? I want to keep it cool and durable

Hi guys,

I live in Florida and the summer heat is always an issue for cars.

I'm looking at this kit: http://vrpspeed.com/index.php?route=...product_id=191

Will this help keep my car cooler and on the road longer? Performance isn't what I'm after really....

Is installation of this kit DIY friendly?

Any other mods to keep the fluids cooler? How do you make your e55 more durable?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Find out if you need a radiator up grade, I don't remember which year they were changed to prevent coolant finding it's way into the tranny.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
Find out if you need a radiator up grade, I don't remember which year they were changed to prevent coolant finding it's way into the tranny.
That was the early years...'03 and maybe early '04
The following users liked this post:
Dublinoh (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Okay so I'm safe.

What do you guys think about that VRP kit?

Anything to keep the oil or tranny cooler?
Old 04-05-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
headers will help keep heat down and let engine breathe
MACEDON (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
PLM heat exchanger and bosch 010 pump and you will be good.
No need to get a trans cooler etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by shardul:
HeissRod (04-06-2017), MACEDON (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Plm heat exchanger with a good flowing pump or killer chiller with tank and you are good
MACEDON (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Awesome.

Are these a DIYer can do? For reference most complicated thing I've done was replaced the EGR cooler, oil cooler, and turbo on my 6.0l F250 a while back. I just have hand tools, no lift or anything fancy...

So quick google returned this for PLM heat exhanger

https://mbworld.org/forums/vendor-gr...g-special.html

How does this compare to the $1000 VPR kit I posted?
Old 04-05-2017, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by new55
headers will help keep heat down and let engine breathe

What can you recommend? specifically?

Also guys will any of this stuff require a tune?
Old 04-05-2017, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Cooling requires no tune. Heat exchanger and pump you can do with tools and no lift, Jack stands yes
MACEDON (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Coolio, I'll look into that.

...so do you guys see a power increase with these mods?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:10 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Here's some stuff that we sell for your car. (:

http://www.eurocharged.com/products/...lass/c-167-e55
Old 04-05-2017, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by sales@eurocharged.com
Here's some stuff that we sell for your car. (:

http://www.eurocharged.com/products/...lass/c-167-e55

I saw there's an official location and a dealer in Tampa, will definitelly visit DP Repairs to see what they can do for me for sure.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
So, so far I'll be getting the PLM heat exchanger and bosch pump. Anything else I can upgrade for durability?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
So, so far I'll be getting the PLM heat exchanger and bosch pump. Anything else I can upgrade for durability?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
Originally Posted by MACEDON
Awesome.

Are these a DIYer can do? For reference most complicated thing I've done was replaced the EGR cooler, oil cooler, and turbo on my 6.0l F250 a while back. I just have hand tools, no lift or anything fancy...

So quick google returned this for PLM heat exhanger

https://mbworld.org/forums/vendor-gr...g-special.html

How does this compare to the $1000 VPR kit I posted?
Question is, did you do it cab on or cab off!!!?!

I sold my 2004 CCLB 4x4 to get my E55. They love trucks here in Texas! As for work on the Merc, should be no issues at all. Front bumper comes off with little effort. The clamps on the hoses are similar and the cars are really well built.

Only special tools needed are an inverted torx socket set and Star DAS, a computer system that reads the ECU and that is for diagnostics more than anything else. Like the 6.0 good maintenance is the key. Once all of that is covered keeping heat in check is next.

No idea on the kit but the parts are available all over so careful shopping will get you the best deal. If you have any questions you can usually find the answers here on the forums as someone has asked it before.

I went a different route than most and decided to go with meth and a split system before getting a heat exchanger. I will get an exchanger soon but this is my fun car so I really only drive it for fun. Of course I made sure all the mechanicals were in top shape first.

Like the 6.0 some mods really wake the car up: Tune, Headers, Pulley, and Throttle Body all help get more air in and out.

I really enjoy driving it and it reminds me of my truck, instant torque. Only difference is the color of the smoke; now its white from the tires!
MACEDON (04-06-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
same

Originally Posted by shardul
PLM heat exchanger and bosch 010 pump and you will be good.
No need to get a trans cooler etc.
that's what I just did thanks to Shardul, but when I first read this the thing that came to mind most was a TINT :-).
Old 04-09-2017, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by seanol
Question is, did you do it cab on or cab off!!!?!

I sold my 2004 CCLB 4x4 to get my E55. They love trucks here in Texas! As for work on the Merc, should be no issues at all. Front bumper comes off with little effort. The clamps on the hoses are similar and the cars are really well built.

Only special tools needed are an inverted torx socket set and Star DAS, a computer system that reads the ECU and that is for diagnostics more than anything else. Like the 6.0 good maintenance is the key. Once all of that is covered keeping heat in check is next.

No idea on the kit but the parts are available all over so careful shopping will get you the best deal. If you have any questions you can usually find the answers here on the forums as someone has asked it before.

I went a different route than most and decided to go with meth and a split system before getting a heat exchanger. I will get an exchanger soon but this is my fun car so I really only drive it for fun. Of course I made sure all the mechanicals were in top shape first.

Like the 6.0 some mods really wake the car up: Tune, Headers, Pulley, and Throttle Body all help get more air in and out.

I really enjoy driving it and it reminds me of my truck, instant torque. Only difference is the color of the smoke; now its white from the tires!
Hahah I don't even have the ***** to do a full burnout in fear of the car falling apart. I bought it from these scumbags who got it from an auction and after taking it for an inspection I am finding 1000 things wrong with it, one of which is the suspension... so I'll be converting to a coilover kit soon.

So through shardul I'll be getting an idler kid, ec tune, headers, and the heat exchanger.

I gotta service the valve covers and get new spark plugs, flex discs on the differential and new bearings on the front right apparently.

Leaky exhaust is forcing me to get the headers done, and I have no cats... so I get check engine lit up, hopefully I'm not doing tons of damage with missfire and what not.

It will take a bit of $$$ and tender love, I am hoping to install the PLM hxc and bosch pump myself to save some $$$

Originally Posted by red60R
that's what I just did thanks to Shardul, but when I first read this the thing that came to mind most was a TINT :-).
Definitely

Yeah def going through Shardul, I read good things about the guy and he's been great with some support through PM's
Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Macedon wondering where your car came from? I met a few scumbags in Marietta Ga so curious if it was the same car.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
Shardul did very well by me as well. My suggestion if you are keeping the car, Get a Star system. As complex as these cars are you can save your money and get it right the first time using the factory diagnostic's.

I got mine from Shardul as I did not want to do a bunch of troubleshooting and wanted a live person to talk to should I have any issues.

Price is higher than your heat exchanger but it will pay for itself if you have issues down the road.

Valve covers are easy, use Mercedes OEM gaskets. I tried to save a buck and it was not worth it. The covers attached to the valve covers leak as well. I used black silicone on those.

For plugs I went Bosch as I have had very good results in the past. Most use NGK. Plug wires are a pain, make sure you go OEM or expect at least one plug wire to be too short.

One plus to the Star system, you can code out the secondary O2 sensors and pass emissions. It will remove the check engine light as well if that is the reason for the light.

You should not hurt the car running without cats, your secondary O2 sensors are telling the ECU that the cats are gone. This is purely an emissions issue.

Last edited by seanol; 04-09-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling was atrocious...
Old 04-09-2017, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
Macedon wondering where your car came from? I met a few scumbags in Marietta Ga so curious if it was the same car.
I think it was last driven in Miami, it originally came from Illinois based on the service history.

I bought it from these scumbags Moto Labs in St. Petersburg. The guy Aaron lied to my face about how the car was inspected, and even though I knew I should have slept on the decision and should have had the car checked out, I got tricked by his trustworthy sounding words, and signed the contract AS IS, handed them my cash, and drove away. I noticed the problems the next day. I fell again for a scam buying auction garbage from St Pete. First one was a CLK320 from another shady dealer.

The car was at an auction 2 weeks prior to me buying it, it was sold for $10500, they sold it to me for $13,500 with their 500 dealer fee and out of door I paid $14500. While the price isn't bad, the car was in very very bad shape for what I paid. So maybe it is the same car, shame there are scumbags that deal with these precious cars.

Leaky valve covers, wobbly wheels, bad front right bearing, the airmatic is leaning on the left side, badly leaking exhaust, **** that would've been seen by an experienced mechanic.

They're nothing but lying scumbags who sell auction garbage, knowingly. I hope someone stumbles on this post and never buys from them, ever. LIARS!

Anyway, otherwise I love this car and I'm happy that it will get a chance to be brought back to life and loved welcome to my first AMG, it's as broken as me. We will heal together <3

Originally Posted by seanol
Shardul did very well by me as well. My suggestion if you are keeping the car, Get a Star system. As complex as these cars are you can save your money and get it right the first time using the factory diagnostic's.

I got mine from Shardul as I did not want to do a bunch of troubleshooting and wanted a live person to talk to should I have any issues.

Price is higher than your heat exchanger but it will pay for itself if you have issues down the road.

Valve covers are easy, use Mercedes OEM gaskets. I tried to save a buck and it was not worth it. The covers attached to the valve covers leak as well. I used black silicone on those.

For plugs I went Bosch as I have had very good results in the past. Most use NGK. Plug wires are a pain, make sure you go OEM or expect at least one plug wire to be too short.

One plus to the Star system, you can code out the secondary O2 sensors and pass emissions. It will remove the check engine light as well if that is the reason for the light.

You should not hurt the car running without cats, your secondary O2 sensors are telling the ECU that the cats are gone. This is purely an emissions issue.
Thank you for the insight. Honestly I'm pretty scared to do the valve covers myself, or do the suspension work for the coilover conversion. Honestly I'm very scared to work on this car overall... I'm afraid I'll **** it up quite a bit, and I don't have all the time and comfort I want with my 9-5. I'm going to keep snooping around to find out if I should do a DIY or take it to a shop for this part... I saw one already but it was enough to scare me into not doing it.

How crucial do you think doing the tune up is at this point?

Oh also wait till you hear this... the car has a missing PCV valve, when I took it to my local merc mechanic for an inspection he said that's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, so he put a plug on it and sent me away to think about the $2200 labor bill, he said I can provide my own parts.

Okay so here is what's wrong with the car, according to this experienced Merc mechanic (not AMG mechanics but he works on a lot and lot of Mercs and has a bunch of diesels himself, his father has Merc experience over the past 50 years in Albania where they rebuild and stretch the lives of Mercs like no other country).

So after my inspection at Drenica Customs in New Port Richey FL, I found out the following:

--No pcv valve, currently have a cap, must fix, is there a good DIY? Considerations if I do it meself?

--Car leans to the left side quite a bit when it's off, it looks normal when I drive it though, Arnott coilover conversion imminent

--Wobbling left rear wheel, crack, right one was repaired on the dealer's dime, I'm gonna call to get this one fixed too because a lug nut was stuck and this mechanic was able to get it off

--Leaky welds on the midpipe, possibly headers too because car has been slammed at high speeds

--Differential flex disks have to be changed (I assume it's just time for that to happen)

--Needs new front right wheel bearing

and I'm sure other things that will be pointed out by a better shop or the dealer when I take it there. I'm thinking about taking it to Lokey Mercedes for an oil change+inspection if they can bulndle it up together, then I will shop around Tampa Bay to find a shop that will do it for a good price+provide parts.

So yeah man, I'm kinda in deep **** with this car, but I'm looking forward to the day it rides smooth. It could cost me $5-7k until that happens but I am very excited to get it up to spec

I'll definitely be investing in a star diagostic system too, I have to prioritize and leave the mods for a later time so I can get one of those.

I'm relatively young and I will support this car with my engineering salary, which is not adequate for this AMG but I wanted to get my dream car before I turn 26 so I'll embrace the struggle.

Last edited by MACEDON; 04-10-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by MACEDON
I think it was last driven in Miami, it originally came from Illinois based on the service history.

I bought it from these scumbags Moto Labs in St. Petersburg. The guy Aaron lied to my face about how the car was inspected, and even though I knew I should have slept on the decision, and had the car checked out, I got tricked by his trustworthy sounding words, and signed the contract AS IS, handed them my cash, and drove away. I noticed the problems the next day. I fell again for a scam buying auction garbage from St Pete. First one was a CLK320 from another shady dealer.

The car was at an auction 2 weeks prior to me buying it, it was sold for $10500, they sold it to me for $13,500 with their 500 dealer fee and out of door I paid $14500. While the price isn't bad, the car was in very very bad shape for what I paid. So maybe it is the same car, shame there are scumbags that deal with these precious cars.

Leaky valve covers, wobbly wheels, bad front right bearing, the airmatic is leaning on the left side, badly leaking exhaust, **** that would've been seen by an experienced mechanic.

They're nothing but lying scumbags who sell auction garbage, knowingly. I hope someone stumbles on this post and never buys from them, ever. LIARS!

Anyway, otherwise I love this car and I'm happy that it will get a chance to be brought back to life and loved welcome to my first AMG, it's as broken as me. We will heal together <3

Thank you for the insight. Honestly I'm pretty scared to do the valve covers myself, or do the suspension work for the coilover conversion. Honestly I'm very scared to work on this car overall... I'm afraid I'll **** it up quite a bit, and I don't have all the time and comfort I want with my 9-5. I'm going to keep snooping around to find out if I should do a DIY or take it to a shop for this part... I saw one already but it was enough to scare me into not doing it.

How crucial do you think doing the tune up is at this point?

Oh also wait till you hear this... the car has a missing PCV valve, when I took it to my local merc mechanic for an inspection he said that's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, so he put a plug on it and sent me away to think about the $2200 labor bill, he said I can provide my own parts.

Okay so here is what's wrong with the car, according to this experienced Merc mechanic (not AMG mechanics but he works on a lot and lot of Mercs and has a bunch of diesels himself, his father has Merc experience over the past 50 years in Albania where they rebuild and stretch the lives of Mercs like no other country).

So after my inspection at Drenica Customs in New Port Richey FL, I found out the following:

--No pcv valve, currently have a cap, must fix, is there a good DIY? Considerations if I do it meself?

--Car leans to the left side quite a bit when it's off, it looks normal when I drive it though, Arnott coilover conversion imminent

--Wobbling left rear wheel, crack, right one was repaired on the dealer's dime, I'm gonna call to get this one fixed too because a lug nut was stuck and this mechanic was able to get it off

--Leaky welds on the midpipe, possibly headers too because car has been slammed at high speeds

--Differential flex disks have to be changed (I assume it's just time for that to happen)

--Needs new front right wheel bearing

and I'm sure other things that will be pointed out by a better shop or the dealer when I take it there. I'm thinking about taking it to Lokey Mercedes for an oil change+inspection if they can bulndle it up together, then I will shop around Tampa Bay to find a shop that will do it for a good price+provide parts.

So yeah man, I'm kinda in deep **** with this car, but I'm looking forward to the day it rides smooth. It could cost me $5-7k until that happens but I am very excited to get it up to spec

I'll definitely be investing in a star diagostic system too, I have to prioritize and leave the mods for a later time so I can get one of those.

I'm relatively young and I will support this car with my engineering salary, which is not adequate for this AMG but I wanted to get my dream car before I turn 26 so I'll embrace the struggle.
PCV valve? $2200? What is this part they are talking about?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by Rocman8
PCV valve? $2200? What is this part they are talking about?
$2200 is the price quoted for all the labor I listed, valve cover and sparkplugs tune, bearing, aftermarket headers installed, wheel bearing, differential flex disks.

So on the back of the supercharger there is an outlet for air apparently and it is a hose connected to a valve to return air from the oil catch can (the way the guy explained it). This was a new concept to me, I've heard of pcv valves.

Well, this valve is missing and the hole was left open to suction air straight form the dirty atmosphere bypassing the air filters. Not good. Very bad. I bought the car like this with all these anomalies.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
07' E63
If and when you get the STAR Diagnostic System, you can easily see what pressure each shock is set to. If you see a drastic difference between front left and right, then you can adjust with STAR incrementaly by selecting the curser button or press F3 (F4) to inflate/delflate each AirSpring, assuming they work. You should be able to hear the air transferring to/from the Air Numatic Container(forget actual name of this in STAR) to/from each strut. It's a closed system so you can see that when you deflate, for example each AirSpring, you will see that the Air Container gets "charged" inflated with more air up to a total of some 8+ Bar! The downside to this type of system is that there can be problems with either the AirSpring themselves, the air compressor, leaks in the lines etc., but the performance over Coilovers is that you not only can adjust for height, but much more importantly you get the instant "Airmatic" increase/decrease in air pressure as you hit a bump/pothole or stear into a turn real hard! This is the holy grail of the Airmatic system, something Coilovers and Arnott's for that matter cannot touch!! Arnott simply plugs the hole at the bottom of each AirSpring in what appears to be the expansion chamber and inserts a resister to fool the ECU into thinking the Airmatic is operational (i.e. You won't see a CEL ) but that doesn't mean Airmatic is working! All the Arnott does essentially is adjust for height!

When I recently rebuilt my front suspension (Control Arms, Torque Arms, ball joints, F1 Fabrications Adjustable Camber Upper Control Arms, Racing Brake Front Rotors and Brakes) I noticed that I had an Arnott on one side and a Leaking original AirSpring on the other. When I went to drop off my Intake to be remanufactured by RMT (Rebuild Master Tech) in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. I saw that they also rebuilt OEM Airsprings that cost for two airsprings the same price for one Arnott! Go figure! So when I went back to pick my beautifully rebuilt Intake, I picked up two "new" Airsprings! I brought the two struts in to save on "core charge" and get this, they would only accept the OEM original as they could even re-use the Arnott. This was when they explained the enormous shortcoming of the Arnott to me!! Unbelievable, I know!

I'm still up on jack stands however as I am taking off the heads to have them rebuilt and ported/polished, so I can't yet comment on the Airsprings, but I can't wait to get my E63 on the road as I've only driven 15 miles from the Autobody Shop since I bought it in December!!'

Last edited by E63007; 04-01-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
ez-go
Unless you have your own press it seems like replacing the entire hub is the way to go.

Wheel bearings $50 + labor 2-3 hours at whatever rate comes out at a wash

Wheel hub $250, 20 minutes DIY in the front yard. It's super simple to swap front hubs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bulletproofing mods for the car? I want to keep it cool and durable