Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Hulk
Strut masters are basically like the Arnott coilover
They are no where near adjustable like the real coilovers
You're right, they're not adjustable at all. They were designed for factory ride height and feel.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
from where i bought my wheels and tires from, the owner gave me a quote for the Eibach coilovers of $650, with labor included.

I am a little shocked there with the pricing WITH the labor.

Online i see them for at least 1k...

I will check with them later but i had one question...to make the ride more stiffer or soft for comfort, is that feature called the Damping Adjustability?

I asked him he said he has no idea what is that, another shock to me lol he said you can only adjust the ride on ALL coils but u cant stiff/soft the coils later.

A fried has Megan racing, he adjust the stiffness/softness. I told him to check with the Eibach and get back to me.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I believe he offered me the Eibach Pro Street coilovers, anyone has those on?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:59 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
called Eibach, they dont have damping adjustment. They'll be stiff af lol Ima go with Megan!!
Old 05-18-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Roop94
called Eibach, they dont have damping adjustment. They'll be stiff af lol Ima go with Megan!!
The adjustments on the cheap coilovers are basically worthless because they try to combine rebound and compression into one adjuster - you're better off with a well valved shock without adjustment. I'm not seeing anything listed by Eibach on their site for the W211 E55 though. If they actually do make a pro street coilover that fits and you can somehow get it for $650 that is absolutely your best bet - those are $1500+ for most applications and are much better than a Megan or any other ~$1,000 coilover.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by Pinned
The adjustments on the cheap coilovers are basically worthless because they try to combine rebound and compression into one adjuster - you're better off with a well valved shock without adjustment. I'm not seeing anything listed by Eibach on their site for the W211 E55 though. If they actually do make a pro street coilover that fits and you can somehow get it for $650 that is absolutely your best bet - those are $1500+ for most applications and are much better than a Megan or any other ~$1,000 coilover.
I have E350 btw.
Yes the Pro Street S are for 650 plus labor as the shop gave me the quote but idk how stiff/soft the suspension would be on one setting. If i get it and don't like the ride, maybe too stiff or something, I'm stuck with those. I want something tht i can adjust the damping too. Megan racing euro I deliver that. My friend has the Megan with damping adjustment and has had no issues at all, been abt 2-3 years.

I would've gotten the BC or KW V3 coils but those are a little too expensive. Megans are just abt 50 bucks more than Eibach's...labor, I will pair up with my friend and do it by ourselves.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 e55
That pro street quote has to be for a non airmatic car right?

I am thinking shop did the bid wrong
Old 05-24-2017, 12:59 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by 65cobra
That pro street quote has to be for a non airmatic car right?

I am thinking shop did the bid wrong

yes its base e350, non airmatic.

I was also surprised for those coils + labor for 650 but it has no damping adjustment so ima go with Megan racing cuz it has the adjustment, which will cost me just $50 more and will install with a friend.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:30 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
I just recently installed the KW V3 into my E55 and I was surprised at how soft they were. I haven't played with the settings too much after stiffening them once but I expected a stiffer ride.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:29 PM

E63 AMG
yes its base e350, non airmatic.

I was also surprised for those coils + labor for 650 but it has no damping adjustment so ima go with Megan racing cuz it has the adjustment, which will cost me just $50 more and will install with a friend.
I think you're placing way too much emphasis on the damping adjustment, it doesn't do much and single adjustable shocks try to use one adjustment to change the rebound and compression together - big compromise IMO. There is a reason that companies like KW choose not to offer adjustment on their lower end models so they can focus on making an overall better performing shock. All that said, I don't even see an Eibach coilover for these cars - I think what's being offered to you is Eibach springs and whatever struts are available.

Originally Posted by jumph4x
I just recently installed the KW V3 into my E55 and I was surprised at how soft they were. I haven't played with the settings too much after stiffening them once but I expected a stiffer ride.
KW use a progressive spring in most applications so the initial travel is relatively soft, I think their goal is good small bump sensitivity for the road. I've never been a fan of non-linear springs because they've always got the issue of initial body roll which feels a little unsettling to me.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by Strigoi
As said in another thread that I'm too lazy to look through for a quote, a cheap E55 will be the most expensive car you ever own. These are not cars you cheap out on. I paid on the higher end for my E63 and feel that it was fully worth it compared to the cheaper ones that were for sale at the time. They all needed thousands of dollars of work and that was only after a quick PPI by my indy mechanic. Who knows what else could have turned up.
This 100%

14.5k for my car

$3500 to do flex discs, valve covers, sc belt tensioner, spark plugs

airmatic is leaking, looking at minimum $700-800 per wheel

front control arms need changing (waiting on price quote to find out how much this will **** me)

and I'm looking at replacing the airmatic now with coilovers...
Old 05-27-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2006 CL55 AMG
Yellow Speed Racing Sport coil-overs

Yea i've heard good things about KW coils but they are out of my budget line...I'm keeping it below 1k or 900.

How is BC racing coils? anyone?

@Principledchiro
do let me know how they turn out. And where did you buy those from? I checked around their website and i only found them being made for Audi n BMW, as for German cars but not Mercedes.

Also heard somewhere D2 and Yellow Speed coils are built by same manufacturer?

Anyways, will await for your update
YSS coil overs on for over a week. Still messing with the ride height and damping. Front negative camber will be -2+ degrees if lowering front over 1.5". This will make great cornering whilst wearing the inner tire quicker. A compromise of 1" drop will yield -1.5" camber...a decent compromise between handling and inner tire wear.

Last edited by principledchiro; 05-27-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:18 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by principledchiro
YSS coil overs on for over a week. Still messing with the ride height and damping. Front negative camber will be -2+ degrees if lowering front over 1.5". This will make great cornering whilst wearing the inner tire quicker. A compromise of 1" drop will yield -1.5" camber...a decent compromise between handling and inner tire wear.

well im not too worried about wearing them out quicker. I drive freeway most of the time so they will last me a little longer than average. However, sometimes my work send me over the hills, it's a nice 8 mile winding road...say it's a track with short turns lol that will wear my tires out quicker cuz with these wide tires and less sidewall, ride is stiffer than stock tires and sways a lot less so i have a little fun driving there lol

Well, i ordered Megan Racing lol ik some ppl are gonna say that's stupid but..oh well. I'll get em next month cuz they have to backorder them. I called other shops n they quoted me 900-1200 without labor. However, i get them for 700 from Vividracing.com...they'll be shipped home. OG price was 750 but he gave me a discount!

Not sure how low i'll go. since mine is non AMG so cornering things will not happen that often here lol but this thing pulls hard tho, old but still lives up to its standards. I came from driving Camry for 3 years and handling, power, and suspension wise...a big upgrade lol
The following users liked this post:
principledchiro (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by MACEDON
This 100%

14.5k for my car

$3500 to do flex discs, valve covers, sc belt tensioner, spark plugs

airmatic is leaking, looking at minimum $700-800 per wheel

front control arms need changing (waiting on price quote to find out how much this will **** me)

and I'm looking at replacing the airmatic now with coilovers...
Wow, 3500, is that dealer prices? That's around $500 in parts and a day's work. Two days if you're careful and don't have the proper equipment.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:07 PM

2007 Infiniti M45
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
Wow, 3500, is that dealer prices? That's around $500 in parts and a day's work. Two days if you're careful and don't have the proper equipment.
This. I'll be DIY'ing as much as possible. I know there are some things that will be best left to the pros. I haven't found the right e55 yet but for me, it will be a balance of price, miles and documented maintenance.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:54 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by principledchiro
Do point out that because there is No Camber or Caster to adjust tire contact angle, we saw the need therefore to design and re-instate from the early 90’s front and rear full/precise adjustment capability to cater for any height lowering.

The K-MAC patented design is precise “single wrench” adjustment (accurately under load) direct on alignment rack. For the front (only) you can fit inaccurate “one only offset position” fluted bolts but they only supply 1/8” (3mm).

K-MAC front kit provides up to 4 times this adjustment range which equates to approximately 3 extra degrees positive or negative Camber. Also replaces the 4 front highest wearing bushings at the same time and still provides 2 axis movement but without the OEM oil and air voids. Result is therefore significantly improved brake and steering response.

CAMBER – Allows to actually change the tire contact angle resolving costly, premature edge wear, improving traction/understeer/oversteer

CASTER – Correctly resolves steering pull, increases steering response. With better turn in and high speed directional control. Along with improved anti dive/lift under brake and acceleration

Essential for day to day commuting encountering high cambered roads, altered height through lowering, load carrying, suspension sag, having wide profile tires or curb knock damage. Track days capability to dial in extra negative front Camber (and track width) and fine tune rear for maximum traction!

REAR CAMBER KIT INCLUDES ‘extra’ Toe adjustment to compensate for the new Camber facility. Adjusts the lower control arm inwards (comes with bush extraction tool allowing to install on vehicle). We do not manufacture adjustable ‘arms’ – as difficult to install/adjust and to resolve premature inner edge wear need to reduce all important clearance top of tire to outer fender.

W211
Front Camber and Caster kit P/N 502216K $480
Rear Camber (and extra Toe) Kit P/N 502526K $480

Also manufactured is set of ‘12’ bushings for the 6 ‘multi link rear arms’. Designed to significantly improve rear end stability, reduce twitch/flex, gain traction – especially when applying power lane changing/overtaking. P/N 502528K $480.

AMG P/N 502528-1K $480

Delivery one kit $40 or front and rear kits $50. We accept PayPal, Visa or MasterCard.

coilovers...reviews????-502216-cover.jpg coilovers...reviews????-502526-cover.jpg coilovers...reviews????-501526-2-j-cover.jpg
Old 05-30-2017, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
Naw, a well respected indy. I went with the OEM flex discs ($300 a piece ffs...) and parts from him which were marked up a bit so that's why it was a bit more expensive. I wanted to build a good relationship with the guy so I can take my car there for evaluation over the course of the years, but yeah it was a bit expensive.

Unfortunately I'm not well versed enough to do all the work, I get pretty scared that I'll **** something up (and I usually do, break and strip bolts and ****) so I just wanted to get the big stuff done and out of the way. I got a few quotes for respected indy shops in the area and they were are very similar in cost.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Originally Posted by MACEDON
Naw, a well respected indy. I went with the OEM flex discs ($300 a piece ffs...) and parts from him which were marked up a bit so that's why it was a bit more expensive. I wanted to build a good relationship with the guy so I can take my car there for evaluation over the course of the years, but yeah it was a bit expensive.

Unfortunately I'm not well versed enough to do all the work, I get pretty scared that I'll **** something up (and I usually do, break and strip bolts and ****) so I just wanted to get the big stuff done and out of the way. I got a few quotes for respected indy shops in the area and they were are very similar in cost.
thats expensive for a indy shop