W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with replacing ribbon cable for A/C control digit dimming by rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Help with replacing ribbon cable for A/C control digit dimming by rear view mirror

I tried to do a search on this, but seeing that I don't even know the proper name for the part, I can't find anything. I have read that there is some sort of fine ribbon type cable up in the "console" overhead inside by the rear view mirror that connects the ambient light sensor to the A/C control head unit. I know, all this is very wordy, but I don't know how to describe it better.

My A/C control head digits are very dim. I can see them great at night, but can't see them at all during the day. I somehow found a post that described the ribbon cable as the problem. I can't find that post now. Apparently this cable is very fine, and is easily cut or broken when a windshield has been replaced. My windshield was replaced just before I bought the car, and I would like to replace this cable to see if that's the problem.

Has anyone ever done this job? I have no idea how to disassemble that whole piece that's around the rear view mirror, with the sunroof controls, the "mood" light, etc. I don't want to just start prying on 10 year old plastic blindly and start breaking things.

Any help or tips on all this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Disregard.....

I found the procedure on YouTube. The ribbon cable is cut, I need to buy a new one. The cable is MB part number A 211 540 96 05. Hopefully that helps someone. If it matters the car is a 2006 E55.