W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help from some veterans please! Xenon advice needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55
Need help from some veterans please! Xenon advice needed.

I have an 06 E55. Per many recommendations I purchased Gary Lo's Front bumper conversion. (super nice guy!) So it appears that my Factory Xenon headlights have that leveling feature. Being an 06 the headlight housing is fairly pitted to the point that buffing them can only do so much. Any recommendations on Headlight Housing replacements? Gary was saying if the headlights are the self leveling type that the housing he sells will not work. Are there any options? Thank you so much for the help as always.

-Tom
Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
If only the lenses need to be replaced you can buy cheaper lights and remove the lenses and swap with your old lights. Many threads explain the process. Basically heat in an oven at 200 degrees (not sure that's the right temp so do some research) for fifteen minutes and the lens will come off. The sealer is like a hot glue type material, so when heated it is in effect reusable. Cheaper lights can be found on eBay. When you research go to advanced search and select "titles only" this will get you to more specific threads. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Tom Bell (06-27-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
I agree. Find a set out of a wreck that has "broken tabs" on eBay or here in the forum and then bake them open then swap out the lenses, as they should be the same shape. Just in case you were curious, the chrome bezel inside the lens is not interchangeable between 03-06 models, and 07-09 models.

If you get your lens replacements off of a knock off light (eBay), do yourself a favor and get them clear coated, or use a high quality sealant and a clear bra or whatever they call them these days. That should keep them looking clear for a while. I don't think the cheaper lights found on eBay have clear coat on the lenses so they go yellow and foggy pretty quick.
Tom Bell (06-27-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
If only the lenses need to be replaced you can buy cheaper lights and remove the lenses and swap with your old lights. Many threads explain the process. Basically heat in an oven at 200 degrees (not sure that's the right temp so do some research) for fifteen minutes and the lens will come off. The sealer is like a hot glue type material, so when heated it is in effect reusable. Cheaper lights can be found on eBay. When you research go to advanced search and select "titles only" this will get you to more specific threads. Hope this helps.
What he said.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2004 E55, Triumph Speed Triple
You can get the lenses for around $50 on eBay.
Tom Bell (06-27-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63s,2004 E55, 2006 STS-V, 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396, 2012 Centennial GS Corvette
Im in the same boat. Bought black headlights but dont work.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
Thank you for the help. You guys are the best with advice! I have a local glass blower that has been in business for 30+ years and is known nationally. Just for fun I reached out to them this evening to see if there is ANY possibility if I supplied the molds that they would make the replacements out of glass. Maybe it's just a pipe dream and not possible. But I figured it would be worth a try!

Tom
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom Bell:
Dublinoh (06-27-2017), Max.H (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Tom Bell
Thank you for the help. You guys are the best with advice! I have a local glass blower that has been in business for 30+ years and is known nationally. Just for fun I reached out to them this evening to see if there is ANY possibility if I supplied the molds that they would make the replacements out of glass. Maybe it's just a pipe dream and not possible. But I figured it would be worth a try!

Tom
Let us know how it turns out