W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI on a tuned E55...couple of questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
PPI on a tuned E55...couple of questions?

How do one go around evaluating the engine/transmission of an E55 if the car has an ECU as well a TCU tune?

Would running a diagnostic scan give any codes regarding the major errors?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2017, 03:49 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Diagnostics will work as per an untuned car.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
How do one go around evaluating the engine/transmission of an E55 if the car has an ECU as well a TCU tune?

Would running a diagnostic scan give any codes regarding the major errors?

Thanks
Some information about the health of the transmission can be deduced from a SDS/Star scan as well any faults currently ailing the system (Transmission/Engine Control Unit). You will not find any information about the health of the motor though.

Inspection items: Fuel system inspection/rail pressure test at idle and under load would be very helpful.

Trans fluid color smell is also a good indication of transmission health.

For a tuned car in general, you must apply a large amount of logic and accumulated mechanical experience to evaluating the vehicle.

If you are not able to do a compression check, make sure the vehicle is cold. Start it and listen to every noise you hear. You can evaluate a large amount of things diagnostically with STAR/SDS but unless you can remove a plug from each cylinder and do a compression check with a batt charger attached, you better have some pretty awesome "mechanical intuition" accumulated.

Also assess the previous owner and his or her and their personal grooming habits, if you can meet them at their house and assess their living habits.... A lot can be deduced from that. If they keep themselves, and their house clean and well maintained. They more than likely take similar care of their vehicles.

Validated maintenance history is a bonus item as well... I just worked through this with my cousin on a stock E55. We chose a stock E55 dealer maintained example with ~80K miles. I urged him to pay a little more ($13,9k) for peace of mind. I am glad he did as he is happy as a clam now...

Do not gamble "not knowing" on a tuned motor, too much can go wrong and it will cost you much more in the end

Last edited by BoostedAero; 07-17-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 CLS55
Originally Posted by BoostedAero

Also assess the previous owner and his or her and their personal grooming habits, if you can meet them at their house and assess their living habits.... A lot can be deduced from that. If they keep themselves, and their house clean and well maintained. They more than likely take similar care of their vehicles.
I find this to be true with a variety of things.....girls included.