Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission Possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 ML350 Sport Package
Manual Transmission Possible?

Is it possible to fit a manual tranny to a W211 E55?

What about using the M5 Tranny?

Anyone know if this has been done or if a manual is offered outside the USA?

-cannis
Old 04-21-2004, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC300 sport
Re: Manual Transmission Possible?

Originally posted by Cannis
Is it possible to fit a manual tranny to a W211 E55?

What about using the M5 Tranny?

Anyone know if this has been done or if a manual is offered outside the USA?

-cannis
buy a different car if you desire a manual tranny.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:29 PM

2007 ML350 Sport Package
Re: Re: Manual Transmission Possible?

Originally posted by dgussin1
buy a different car if you desire a manual tranny.

Whoa. Friendly reply there pal.

I don't *desire* a manual transmission. I simply wondered if it has been done or could be done. Could you imagine how special a 6 spd manual W211 E55 would be? You'd probably have car magazines calling you to test drive it. I dunno, I just like entertaining the thought. I think it would be just incredible.

That said...again, the AMG tuned automatic is fine by me. I'll take one any day.
The following users liked this post:
theshow22 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-21-2004, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
i'm guessing it would be able to do, just would cost a lot of $$...probably more than it's worth to do, ya know?

I think i've heard of brabus or kleeman doing a conversion? one of those bigger tuner companies.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Re: Re: Re: Manual Transmission Possible?

Originally posted by Cannis
Whoa. Friendly reply there pal.
My thought exactly.
Congrats on having the civility not to respond in kind.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I'm sure it is possible but it all comes down to the might dollar. Anything is possible with that. I was thinkin bout the same thing but then I began to noticed that people DID buy the E55 because they wanted a fast sedan without the hassle of a manual. If they did want the manual they would have gone with the M5. That is just my 2 cents though. I'm sure it is possible though. Hope that helps...
Old 04-21-2004, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC300 sport
I didn't mean to come off harsh.

I was just trying to say that if you want a manual transmission get a porsche or something similar. This mercedes was designed to point and go.
The following users liked this post:
theshow22 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-21-2004, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I got this from a tuner's website.

"The 6 speed manual conversion for the V8' and V12 is pretty expensive in as Mercedes Benz does not make V8 or V12 cars with a manual. The 6 speed transmission is a top of the line Getrag, the drive shaft has to be replaced, the tunel modified in and out and custom electronic have to be programmed. It takes about 4 weeks to install, price depending on application is between $20,000 and $25,000 installed.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Why?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Originally posted by norb
Why?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:28 PM

Would be definetly neat to see one day...
Old 04-22-2004, 12:30 AM

2007 ML350 Sport Package
Great info all. I really appreciate your opinions and input!

Basically I just want to know out of curiosity. For the few of you who don't seem to understand why someone would want to do such a thing...well on the one hand I agree with you.

Part of what makes the E55 so amazing is its civility as a luxury sedan. I mean, one of the things that makes this car so unique is the fact that this is a car that can almost blend in with the rest of 'em in traffic at one moment, then leave them in the dust with speed that is comparable to some of the finest sports cars in the world! Of course there are those times when you want it to simply blend in (say when your mother-in-law is in the car with you, or there's a cop next to you at a stop light ). In these situations, I would not really want the added work or non-linear feel of a manual. I want the car to show off its subtle elegance and have it fit in among other cars on the road.

On the other hand...are you kidding? Can you IMAGINE how awesome it would be. Let's face it: we all want to have a car that's exclusive, individual, special, noticeable; otherwise why would one buy a car like this? Why also would people search for that unique modification or customization. Why would there be these specialty companies like Brabus, RennTech, etc. My point is that I would tell everyone and anyone whom I thought cared (sadly I can only think of about 3 people right now ) that I am perhaps one of the only souls in the world to have not only an E55 AMG--one of the finest cars in the world today (IMHO)--but one with a 6 speed manual transmission! Oh! The thought of it just gives me chills. Come on people ! How INCREDIBLE would that be?

Anyways, I'm just getting excited. I have always loved the idea of customizing my dream car (the W211 E55) in such a way. It would just be so unique...so one-of-a-kind!

But thanks again for the replies, everyone. I just posted on this board and I am already excited about how active it is!

Best,
-Cannis
Old 04-22-2004, 01:31 AM

2001 C320 (Sold), 2006 CLS 55 AMG Capri blue/cashmere beige (April Delivery)
I am with you on the 6 speed tranny, I always hoped that the day would be soon that Mercedes would start offering Manual transmission on all AMG models, at least as an option, in my opnion, this will even increase their market share in the sport and luxury market.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
First off, I think your "reasons" for wanting a manual transmission E55 are all way off. I bought my W210 and will be purchasing my W211 for (of the many reasons) it's gearbox... I swayed away from the E39 M5 after driving it because I simply did not like the feel of the stock gearbox. Mercedes has automatics in cars like it's E55 by choice, from a reliability standpoint and from a "feel" standpoint. With my car, I can put in tip and rock the gears coming off a sweeping offramp, or I can leave it in D and cruise along like any mundane E320. The automatic, in essence, is a compliment to the engineering of the E55. My Supra, on the other hand, has a 6-speed and I wouldn't want it any other way... it's raw and generally insane... and for a sports car that's the way it should be.

Going slightly further, but staying on topic:

Manual transmissions are going to slowly become relics of the past. They rely too much on driver competency and with the power levels cars are starting to get to these days, it's simply a liability to put someone behind the wheel of a manual transmission car with 500ft/lbs of torque on tap. Manufacturers are becoming more and more hesitant to put a manual in any performance car because it's a huge warranty liability.

In the future we will see 6-speed automatics, more SMG'd cars, and more CVT cars. The traditional manual transmission has it's days numbered.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 04-23-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I've owned a MB with a manual tranny, and in a word it SUCKED, not even as good as a Honda tranny.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by norb
I've owned a MB with a manual tranny, and in a word it SUCKED, not even as good as a Honda tranny.
Yeah, the first generation manny's were crap. From reviews on the new SLK, MB has got the gearbox combination right with crisp shifting, short throw shifter...all in all much better than the first generation manny's on MB's
Old 04-23-2004, 04:50 PM

Its funny that I am reading about this now, but heres a story for you guys. My friend and I were talking about performance cars and she went on to tell me about one of her friends. Apparently, she went and bought a new M5 (for the manual) and decided the power wasnt enough, so what did she do? She dropped in the E55k engine!!! I questioned her several times to make sure it was actually a benz engine in a BMW body and she is 100% positive, saying its an M car with an AMG engine. I am still waiting for that friend to come around so I can see it and takes pics!
Old 04-23-2004, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by TMans
Its funny that I am reading about this now, but heres a story for you guys. My friend and I were talking about performance cars and she went on to tell me about one of her friends. Apparently, she went and bought a new M5 (for the manual) and decided the power wasnt enough, so what did she do? She dropped in the E55k engine!!! I questioned her several times to make sure it was actually a benz engine in a BMW body and she is 100% positive, saying its an M car with an AMG engine. I am still waiting for that friend to come around so I can see it and takes pics!
WTF....I definately wanna see pics of this
Old 04-23-2004, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Sorry, your friend is full of it. Anything is possible but this kind of swap would be downright stupid. No one in their right mind, or who had any kind of sense, would go through the trouble of dropping in an E55k engine into an E39 M5. It's just not logical, given the costs and time involved and the potential of the M5 engine.

You don't spend $40k swapping out an E39 M5 motor for a stock E55k motor that would require a standalone, countless hours of tuning, custom fabbing, etc, etc - when for the same money you could build the stock M5 motor to handle boost and slap on a supercharger offered by a number of companies.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 04-23-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:27 PM

Nissan 350Z & Toyota Landcruiser 100 Tdi, i lack a benz...but one day
i reckon thats a truckload of garbage swapping a M5 motor for a 55K. u could might as well buy another car with that money. you'd have to be MADE of money to do that (which alot off ppl on this forums are )

anywho, just a little off topic, speaking of good Mannual gearboxes, the Nissan 350Z's have an awesome transmission glued to it, the throws are so damn short,crisp and everthing else that makes it good. its probably if not better then the honda ones in the integra (RSX).
Old 04-24-2004, 04:30 AM

WTF....I definately wanna see pics of this
I am still waiting for the chance.

You don't spend $40k swapping out an E39 M5 motor for a stock E55k motor that would require a standalone, countless hours of tuning, custom fabbing, etc, etc - when for the same money you could build the stock M5 motor to handle boost and slap on a supercharger offered by a number of companies.
From my understanding, she wanted something unique and therefore got this done.

you'd have to be MADE of money to do that (which alot off ppl on this forums are
umm, yes she has tons of money. Her dad, who owned many businesses including several hospitals, passed away and left the inheritance to her. She now has a driver and is getting a Maybach soon. Oh, and shes 19!
Old 04-24-2004, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
I am still waiting for the chance.

From my understanding, she wanted something unique and therefore got this done.

umm, yes she has tons of money. Her dad, who owned many businesses including several hospitals, passed away and left the inheritance to her. She now has a driver and is getting a Maybach soon. Oh, and shes 19!
yo im 18, hook me up! she can come and pick me up in her maybach....jk well not if she is cute.
It would have been cheaper for her to buy an E55 and then change the tranny to a manual and yeah i tihnk either renntech or kleemann offers the manual tranny change and it costs FAR less then 20g's
Old 04-27-2004, 02:09 AM

2000 AMG E55
While I agree that it would cost an rm and leg to have a shop do it, this kind of swap is not entirely out of the scope of a DIY project. A T56 6 Speed can be had for around $2500. Custom trans mount and driveshaft, another $1500. An adapter plate would be needed to bolt it to the MB V8, and software mods to make the computer all work correctly. Then the stength of the rear may be an issue, but I'd think it'd hold up if you were careful.

No doubt this is a huge project, and I know I'm oversimplifying it, but dare to dream, or we'll be driving only 4 bangers and electric cars in 10 years for sure. The only limit here is your imagination, as anything can be done if you put your mind to it.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
You need a manual that can handle 1000nm of torque and a clutch to suit. That's without considering the issues of integrating the cars electronic systems.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Possible?