W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge unexpected improvements from changing engine mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Huge unexpected improvements from changing engine mounts

My 2006 E55 has about 90K miles on it. When I first bought it with about 70K, it was a very smooth and refined ride. Over time, without realizing it as it happened slowly and insidiously, the driving experience became courser. There's no other word for it. The car in retrospect felt as if the engine was solidly mounted to the frame. Unlike most reports you read about bad mounts, the engine didn't idle terribly rough, and the engine wasn't moving around in the engine bay. There was no sign of oil leaking from the mounts. The engine was simply always present in the drive, it wasn't a vibration so to speak, just a coarseness or lack of isolation from the car. It could very well be my imagination, but the engine sounds, even the exhaust, seemed significantly louder.

I changed the mounts and the trans mount. The old trans mount looked perfect upon removal, but since I was there I slid in the new one anyway. The engine mounts also looked ok, but upon putting the old ones next to the new ones, they were definitely shorter. I guess they had collapsed a bit.

Now, it's like a whole different car. Super smooth, you really can't feel the engine at all, until of course you put your foot into it, then the famous E55 acceleration takes over. And now I know it wasn't my imagination, the car is absolutely a LOT quieter as well.

All in all a huge improvement, and the biggest bang for the buck that I have made to the car so far.

Installation was easy, except for the top mount bolts, which are a punishment from hell to get to. The cost was easy, I bought the Corteco engine mounts and a Lemforder trans mount.
The following users liked this post:
Blade Canyon (07-24-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS 63 S AMG / 2004 E55 AMG
Thanks for sharing, I am experiencing the same thing and have considered replacing the engine / trans mounts.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Man now I'm definitely even more eager to get my solid mounts and tranny mount put in, just waiting on them to arrive. It just seems like everything is under torsion passing it off to the next component to carry the load up until the load reaches the wheels, then when I let off the pedal everything unwinds all the way back to the engine, the car simply just feels loose.

~same miles as your, mounts have probably never been serviced.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
'03 Brabus E55 K8, '11 C300 4matic
Solid mounts?! Boy am I interested in those! I am so far replacing the OEM ones yearly. Which seems silly, but i do not like using the swaybar as an engine mount. Where do you source these wonders?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
I got them from Eurocharged but it was a group buy through the AMG group on facebook.

You'll want to get in touch with David Lehman, I paid $220 for mine.

Facebook Post

^link to FB group, ask to join, lots of resources available goes hand in hand with this forum

I'm sure you can give them a call regardless of the group and ask them about solid mounts.
The following users liked this post:
s.i.f.i. (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by MACEDON
Man now I'm definitely even more eager to get my solid mounts and tranny mount put in, just waiting on them to arrive. It just seems like everything is under torsion passing it off to the next component to carry the load up until the load reaches the wheels, then when I let off the pedal everything unwinds all the way back to the engine, the car simply just feels loose.

~same miles as your, mounts have probably never been serviced.
Be careful with your wording Stefan, you are throwing lit matches out the window in a national forest... lol

David L. at EC doe NOT sell solid motor mounts, the motor mounts MAC is referring to are actually drilled and drained and cleaned new factory mounts injected with a polyurethane where they previously housed their hydraulic dampening fluid. They are cured and ready for sale.

Yes they will be more solid feeling and more than likely last a bunch longer...

I just wanted to clarify. Solid mounts usually refer to a solid piece of metal instead of a rubber/poly mount.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
...oh

Today I learned

At any rate the few people who chimed in on the group order reported great things, I'll post a review once they arrive and are installed.