Sponsored by:

Another Pristine E55 Lost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Another Pristine E55 Lost

It saddens me greatly, but my W211, which only recently turned 50k miles, has been totalled.
​​​​​​

The car was struck in the right, rear corner, crumpling the quarter panel in three places, up to the door jamb. While it might not look like much, the estimate need only reach 70% of the car's value in my state before a total loss is submitted.

I know repairs can be done to bring the car back to near perfection, but in my mind, it will never be the same.

I'm still working with the at-fault insurance to settle the claim. As I'm sure is standard practice, they're looking to minimize payout. As a passionate enthusiast, I'm working to ensure I receive my fair cut. But that's not necessarily the focus of this post.

No, the reason I'm reaching out to my fellow enthusiasts, is because I am having difficulty deciding what comes next. #firstworldproblems #iknow

I really can't see moving anywhere but up. Though it wasn't until I started thinking about what compares, that I realized how much bang-for-the-buck the E55 supplied.

Initially, I thought about a Viper. And while the Viper is venerable, I really want to keep the "wolf in sheep's clothing" attribute.

I also gave some thought to the w212 E63 4matic, but all I know is that they're ICBMs with a tune alone. Reliability, common issues and general headaches are areas of which I'm not familiar.

But I'm open. I'd like to know what I might be missing. If you've been in the unique spot of replacing your E55 with something better, I'd love to read your feedback.

And even if you've never had an E55, please, feel free to share.

The replacement wouldn't be a daily driver, and would ideally fall within the $40-60k range.

​​Thanks!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Sorry for your loss, it's a shame these cars are totaled with so little damage. I wouldn't want to take on a salvage title either. So what's next? I think it needs to be an AMG. Year or model I'll leave up to you, but with your budget it shouldn't be hard to find something suitable.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
A cls55 is much more sheeplike than I would have expected. Only car enthusiasts notice it. You could be up on all maintenance and modded for less money.

More of a step sideways though.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 240 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
CLS body style is Drop dead gorgeous.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
CLS55

I totally agree, get a low mileage 2006 CLS55 and you will have nothing but joy and your E55 experience will cross over easily.

Really sorry for your loss :-(
Old 08-28-2017, 11:48 AM

Appreciate the feedback fellas. I had not previously considered the CLS.

What are some opinions on going with the M113k vs the M157 in the CLS body?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2004 E55, Triumph Speed Triple
Do you need 4 doors? If not, I'd take a look at panameras or 911s. I think as far as a next car goes, mine will be one of those two.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Ram 3500
CTS-V all the way.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 595 Likes on 267 Posts
poop
Originally Posted by JakeMate
CTS-V all the way.

I ditto this.
I had a '10 cts-v and in every category its a better car than my e55. Dont get me wrong, I love my e55
Old 08-28-2017, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
MAN this sucks because if it's totaled the insurance company takes it

Dibs on the wheels if you're doing a part out
Old 08-28-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Ram 3500
Originally Posted by kenneyd
I ditto this.
I had a '10 cts-v and in every category its a better car than my e55. Dont get me wrong, I love my e55
Yeah. I had an '09. They're cheaper to modify and very stout. The only reason I sold mine was to purchase a new diesel Ram for pulling my rock crawler and travel trailer. I'll probably get another one after the E55. It only cost me about $5k for intake, headers, exhaust (stock mufflers), pulley, and dyno and road tune. That put it at 636hp at the crank. The LS motor is stout and sounds amazing.

I love the E55 for the <$14k I paid though. They're a bargain right now.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 E55 AMG Wagon
Since the damage is so light, you should look into buying it from the insurance company and fixing it. Might not need to be a salvage title. The car is yours, not theirs, at least until you sign it over to them. You can bet that someone, somewhere, will fix this car, so it might as well be you.

Last edited by Frank Barrett; 09-03-2017 at 11:08 PM. Reason: For the pure unmitigated hell of it.
The following users liked this post:
patrick_y (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Since, you love your E55 so much. Why not get another low mileage E55. That would be the logical solution. If something were to happen to my E63, that's what I would do
Old 09-07-2017, 01:58 AM

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
CTSv are turds, fast sure. but turds. cheap as cheap can be.

interested in info on the W212s with the turbo 5.5 motor too. they look killer.
tscales (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
I'm enjoying my C63S

More money, but a 2015 is closer.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:43 PM

poop
double post

Last edited by kenneyd; 09-07-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:44 PM

poop
Originally Posted by M5 LOL

interested in info on the W212s with the turbo 5.5 motor too. they look killer.
what are you basing this on? Have you actually owned both?
I have had both, and the interior is nicer, the seats are nicer, the leather is nicer, the ride is quieter, the ride is smoother, the transmission is better, the electronics are better, the the materials, the dash is better, the instruments are better, the stereo is better, the modability is better, the handling is better, the sound is better.
only thing you can pick on is the looks, and that's totally up to the individual. But I find most people think it's stunning

Last edited by kenneyd; 09-07-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 e55
Bummer, I have only had my e55 a few months but I love it, even if it is a salvage title, cosmetics are rough but it has 60k miles on it and is tight and nice. its my first European car and the quality and precision is just there. Silly but I love the cruise control, its the little things.

I agree on the cls, I didn't like the looks at first but now I really like it, I suggested one to my friend and he thought it looked like a space ship, lol. I feel like they are more rare but there is enough out there to get a good one.

I was going to purchase an M5, but they have too many costly drive train problems.

cts, super fast great motor, but its a gm, its just not in the same level

viper, I just bought a red 98 gts coupe, its awesome but nothing stealthy about it.

e63 is great, but its a lot the same, and it would be fun to have something a little different

M3 might be good, I hear they are great but it is more a compact car, maybe a little less executive....

audi, boring unless its an R8

gtr, 2 doors could be a lot of fun, a little less wolf in sheeps clothing but still a little on the down low.

911 turbo, this is on my short list.

screw it just get a Ferrari
Rob CL (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Have you considered an SL55?

I agree with everyone on here that a -V is a pretty big step forward in performance and comfort, but I think I'm in the minority as none of the -V's I've driven have won me over like the 55k did. It's stupid (and probably illogical), but the M113k has a weird charm to it.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:18 AM

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
Originally Posted by kenneyd
what are you basing this on? Have you actually owned both?
I have had both, and the interior is nicer, the seats are nicer, the leather is nicer, the ride is quieter, the ride is smoother, the transmission is better, the electronics are better, the the materials, the dash is better, the instruments are better, the stereo is better, the modability is better, the handling is better, the sound is better.
only thing you can pick on is the looks, and that's totally up to the individual. But I find most people think it's stunning
4 years employed by GM. the interior quality is not even in the same galaxy. my lowly E55 is 11 years old with 109k miles and none of the touch surfaces have peeling finish, my dash doesn't rattle, or any of the other laundry list of poor quality issues that plague GM.

i would disagree with you on just about every point you make outside of the modibilty. the LS is a much more popular platform so there is not really much of comparison there.

****I am speaking of the last two gens of the V, not the current car. i have ZERO experience with that car.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 S550 4matic / 2003 E55 AMG
That looks like the Hampton Coliseum in the background. If this was my car I'd have it repaired.

Originally Posted by Rob CL
It saddens me greatly, but my W211, which only recently turned 50k miles, has been totalled.
​​​​​​

The car was struck in the right, rear corner, crumpling the quarter panel in three places, up to the door jamb. While it might not look like much, the estimate need only reach 70% of the car's value in my state before a total loss is submitted.

I know repairs can be done to bring the car back to near perfection, but in my mind, it will never be the same.

I'm still working with the at-fault insurance to settle the claim. As I'm sure is standard practice, they're looking to minimize payout. As a passionate enthusiast, I'm working to ensure I receive my fair cut. But that's not necessarily the focus of this post.

No, the reason I'm reaching out to my fellow enthusiasts, is because I am having difficulty deciding what comes next. #firstworldproblems #iknow

I really can't see moving anywhere but up. Though it wasn't until I started thinking about what compares, that I realized how much bang-for-the-buck the E55 supplied.

Initially, I thought about a Viper. And while the Viper is venerable, I really want to keep the "wolf in sheep's clothing" attribute.

I also gave some thought to the w212 E63 4matic, but all I know is that they're ICBMs with a tune alone. Reliability, common issues and general headaches are areas of which I'm not familiar.

But I'm open. I'd like to know what I might be missing. If you've been in the unique spot of replacing your E55 with something better, I'd love to read your feedback.

And even if you've never had an E55, please, feel free to share.

The replacement wouldn't be a daily driver, and would ideally fall within the $40-60k range.

​​Thanks!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by skylinrcr01
Do you need 4 doors? If not, I'd take a look at panameras or 911s. I think as far as a next car goes, mine will be one of those two.
Four doors aren't necessarily required, though it's nice when you have a few passengers in-tow. Hadn't considered the Panamera, I'll look into those!

Originally Posted by MACEDON
MAN this sucks because if it's totaled the insurance company takes it

Dibs on the wheels if you're doing a part out
Insurance was quick to write a total loss. However it only has to hit 70% vehicle value to qualify. -Not parting out.

Originally Posted by Frank Barrett
Since the damage is so light, you should look into buying it from the insurance company and fixing it. Might not need to be a salvage title. The car is yours, not theirs, at least until you sign it over to them. You can bet that someone, somewhere, will fix this car, so it might as well be you.
Surely someone should fix it. Problem for me is that I'll never have the same level of comfort at highway speed after seeing the deformation of the panels and trunk frame box.

Originally Posted by Yuille36
Since, you love your E55 so much. Why not get another low mileage E55. That would be the logical solution. If something were to happen to my E63, that's what I would do
I gave this some thought also. I suppose I see this as an opportunity to jump into the 5.5TT AMGs, so I was kinda putting off another W211.

Originally Posted by M5 LOL
I have several friends who own V1s and V2s... I admit, they're a lot of bang for the buck. There are a couple problems (as I've observed):
  1. Everyone seems to have one
  2. The interiors are built from disposable-grade plastics

Originally Posted by justinwrock
Have you considered an SL55?

I agree with everyone on here that a -V is a pretty big step forward in performance and comfort, but I think I'm in the minority as none of the -V's I've driven have won me over like the 55k did. It's stupid (and probably illogical), but the M113k has a weird charm to it.
I'm a torque junkie, hands down, hence the appeal of the M113k. The SL55 would be a more realistic option if it didn't weigh so damn much. I understand the removable hardtop is the cause and the allure, but I almost feel that the '65 would be the way to go (based on weight).

Originally Posted by cosmictrucker
That looks like the Hampton Coliseum in the background. If this was my car I'd have it repaired.
The issue with obtaining a repair is having to deal with a separate diminished value claim. As it is, I'm experiencing some push-back with the at-fault insurance company with regard to proper valuation.

I also don't have the option to make these repairs at a preferred indy (as our local guys recently closed shop), so it would have to be the local MB Collision Shop, as opposed to any general shop around.

For the costs involved in the repair, used parts (as prescribed by law) and the additional claim... The total loss is more advantageous at this point.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Last edited by Rob CL; 09-11-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Four doors aren't necessarily required, though it's nice when you have a few passengers in-tow. Hadn't considered the Panamera, I'll look into those!

Insurance was quick to write a total loss. However it only has to hit 70% vehicle value to qualify. -Not parting out.

Surely someone should fix it. Problem for me is that I'll never have the same level of comfort at highway speed after seeing the deformation of the panels and trunk frame box.

I gave this some thought also. I suppose I see this as an opportunity to jump into the 5.5TT AMGs, so I was kinda putting off another W211.

I have several friends who own V1s and V2s... I admit, they're a lot of bang for the buck. There are a couple problems (as I've observed):
  1. Everyone seems to have one
  2. The interiors are built from disposable-grade plastics

I'm a torque junkie, hands down, hence the appeal of the M113k. The SL55 would be a more realistic option if it didn't weigh so damn much. I understand the removable hardtop is the cause and the allure, but I almost feel that the '65 would be the way to go (based on weight).

The issue with obtaining a repair is having to deal with a separate diminished value claim. As it is, I'm experiencing some push-back with the at-fault insurance company with regard to proper valuation.

I also don't have the option to make these repairs at a preferred indy (as our local guys recently closed shop), so it would have to be the local MB Collision Shop, as opposed to any general shop around.

For the costs involved in the repair, used parts (as prescribed by law) and the additional claim... The total loss is more advantageous at this point.

Appreciate all the feedback!
I wouldn't fix it.. it's better as a part out.. you've seen it and if you wouldn't feel safe I wouldn't either. The tt v8 sounds like the best idea.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, Ram 1500, Jeep GC
Fair enough. If the claim hasn't closed would you be willing to find out the buy-back on it?

PM is fine.