Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Loud ticking at WOT/heavy load

Hello

I'm trying to track down why my car ticks at near WOT conditions.

I had mid length headers installed, ever since the car has had this mild ticking from inside the cabin at -idle- as well.

Can't hear it outside with the hood open at idle. Kinda sounds like an old Mercedes diesel, I've heard similar ticking in my old CLK320 but it was very mild

So when driving, the car sounds normal under light load, but if I step on it ~2000rpm I will hear this intense ticking from inside.

If I roll the window down it almost sounds like a leak. But- to my ear- it's all the same. Lifters, injectors, leak, can't tell the damn difference. Taking it to a mechanic tomorrow afternoon, the same guy who installed the headers to see what he will tell me.

Does anybody else experience this type of noise with their new headers? I know they are thinner than the stocks, but I'm not so sure that this ticking is how a healthy engine should sound...

My ears are not trained to listen for defects on a V8 like this. I replaced the Mobil 1 oil at 3k miles for the third time since I bought the car, put 8.5l of Liqui Moly 5w40 on sunday. The car behaves better but the noise persists. I've put MoS2 in the oil before as well, not with this oil change. So I know for sure the car isn't oil starved.

PS I took the car back once before, the mechanic stated he smoke tested the exhaust (took it in to install a flex pipe) and he stated no leaks were found. Not sure how smoke testing really works but I fear the leak might be showing only under heavy flow out of the engine. Fingers crossed this won't be an expensive issue to fix, but I have a feeling that it will be. So far it has been bothering me for 2 months.

PPS: Secondary o2 sensors are showing lean codes on top of all this, I will have them disabled but it's worth noting. I have done everything in my power to ensure the collector flanges are not leaking.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Any ideas?

Everything is pointing towards either a leak at the heads or lifters.

Given that I just had mid length headers put in ~2 months ago I would say it's probably the headers. Poked my head around with my mechanic to see any visual signs of leakage- nothing. The tickign is unbearable, like when I'm doing around 45-50 if I step on the gas about halfway it really goes tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk so annoying I can't stand it anymore.

Saturday I am going to pull the coil packs and plug wires (hopefully I don't break anything) and try my best to get my fat hands in there to re-tighten those headers. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Long ago I had a GTO that ate exhaust gaskets monthly due to a warped exhaust manifold, finally solved with headers. It did sound like a tick when it first started. Later it was obvious that it was a leak. It always got worse with time. Good luck with what ever it is.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 amg
You gat a leak. Had similar experience when I had my long tube heads. Discovered that one of the bolt, bolted on the rear section of the engine block was loosen. Was retightened, and the ticking sound was gone.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
I tried to tighten everything this weekend, I can't tell where it might be coming from.

I wanted to get in from underneath because I couldn't get to cyl 6 and 7 (driver side, middle 2 cylinders), do you remove the steering column? Is it just that one bolt that closer to the steering wheel? Is it hard to get it back in?

Might have to go back in and re tighten, but I'm afraid I'll strip the nuts, maybe I should replace them completely. Any idea where I can get replacement nuts?

EDIT: Pelican parts

Any idea where I can find replacement studs if I need them? I can't find em anywhere

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-M8-1-25...NY~emN&vxp=mtr

These nuts are the only ones I can find that are 10mm^ not sure if the thread is the same

Pelican parts is showing 8mm nuts

Last edited by MACEDON; 10-23-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 amg
The loose nut on mine was at the passenger side. Best way to get it re tightened is to put the car on a lift.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
I didn't do that side only the driver side, but 2 of them I couldn't even get to.. I'll just have to re do it this weekend, but instead I'll replace them with new ones if I can find em