W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Came across a Porshce Prototype caravan today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Came across a Porshce Prototype caravan today...

Today while driving down local canyon road I ran across something you do not see every day. It was a caravan of Porsche test vehicles with a new 2005/6 Cayanne Turbo bringing up the rear. The Cayanne driver saw me close in at a good pace (I wanted to see what the cars in the middle were) and he suddenly held back a bit in order to keep me from seeing the cars in the middle of the pack. After holding back, he quickly got on the throttle and tired to pull away from me in a “you can not place in this league” type of move. Little did he know that I had a 467-500 hp E55 with which to glue my self to his bumper. This Cayanne was fairly quick and had different exhaust tips when compared to the 2004 Cayanne turbos so maybe Porsche has a new version with increased hp coming out in the near future. After a series of little blasts through the various turns we came to the end of the road (a 3 lane wide stop light) and I pulled up next to a group of 3 Boxsters.

When I looked in my rear view mirror I realized that these boxsters and LED blinkers, different headlight housings, lights integrated into the bumper, and modified air intakes. Then it clicked…these are the new 2005/6 Boxster face lift cars.

At this point I backed up and got a good look at all three (in this group of cars). There were 2 Boxster S’s and one base boxster (Larger brakes with red calipers on the Boxster S version). The dashboards were covered with canvas covers and the drivers all tried to cover up the newly styled dashboards. The rear had different spoilers, modified tail lights and different exhaust tips.

I proceeded to the parking lot where I intended to stop for lunch and the caravan of Porsche test vehicles tried to hide from my sight but instead they got stuck in a turning lane at a traffic light so I parked my car and walked up to the cars for a nice up close inspection. The cars were full of test equipment and they clearly were revised Boxsters. The front end looks like a nice change and it will now have a more aggressive stance with nice air intakes with what look to be combo fog and blinker lights built into the bumper (not the headlight housing). The wheels were all 18 inches and the cars all had Pilot Sport II’s.

Shame that my digi cams were all at home. I need to keep on in the car but the last one died due to excessive exposure to heat in the car!

I do enjoy living in German car manufacture test territory! I have all the BMW testers hating me and now I can start working my magic on the Porsche test drivers. Like BMW Porsche uses the plan of keeping the prototype cars stuffed between to more production cars and they always go out in two packs of 4-5 cars. When the Z4 was testing I followed them for a while and took a slew of photographs and ended up being pulled over by the Sheriff for questioning (just to let the prototypes get back to their headquarters – like I don’t know where that is!).

I hope to run cross the M5 on its canyon test run one of these days. I really want to see if an E55 can keep up with the new E60 M5 in the twisties!
Old 05-04-2004, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. You should have your own spy photo website and sell pics to the magazines. Did they have a Boxster coupe there?
Old 05-04-2004, 12:14 PM

2002 E55, Brilliant Silver/Charcoal and Grey, All option except Parktronic.
It is always fun to see something new. I was at the MB dealership when they brought the Maybach 57 and 63 through on a US test. The 63, god what a train.
I would like to see the facelifted Boxter, I like that car concept but could never get used to the front end.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:45 PM

Great Story that’s such a good example of why everyone should keep a camera in their car or a just buy a phone with a camera so you can take it wherever you go

Last edited by Mattar; 05-04-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:05 PM

2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
great post! thanks for an interesting story!