W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Maximum Torque Speed - E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon
Maximum Torque Speed - E55

On my way back to SoCal from Las Vegas last week, I ran really well with a newer 911 and new C63S in my E55 wagon with Eurocharged tune. We had a great time together for about an hour before they both peeled off. It got me thinking about torque. More specifically, I was wondering if anyone knows (or has calculated) the speed at which this car shows it's best torque. For instance, is 40 mph the right speed for the proper downshift for the best display of torque in this car? 50? Obviously the car comes out of the hole great but if you're traveling with a buddy and want to show it off a little bit, what speed might be the best to nail it and peel the eyelids back?

On a positive note, at higher speeds, the E55 walked away from the 911 pretty well. I also think the C63S was surprised, but boy that car is fast!

Cheers...
Old 11-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
The lowest gear at about the lowest rpm you can run the engine is going to be the max torque. The engines make peak torque fairly low in the rpm band. Plenty of dyno sheets to see the torque curve. But always no matter what you are making more torque to the wheels in the lowest gear. There is not enough of a torque drop in these to gain by shifting up a gear. You have to start loosing over a couple of hundred lb/ft of torque at upper rpms to justify upshifting to a lower rpm with more torque.
Its is just a math spread sheet of torque over your rpm X the gear ratio of each gear. So take 3.59xyour torque from 2000-6000rpm. Then do the next gear at 2.2x the same. Etc.