W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerns about oil change...anyone doing it sooner?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Concerns about oil change...anyone doing it sooner?

I know the first oil change that MB schedules is at 10k, but I guess I am from the old school where you change about every 3-4k. I know about the syn oil, but the Corvette that I have used that and it was recommended to change every 5k. Anybody doing it more often than recommended by MB and what are they charging for the change?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
If you do the oil change outside of the FSS system, I think it runs right around $100. Service out of warranty (minor) is usually $200 and major service is usually $300-$400.

But since your only concerned about the oil change, expect around $100.

Some people like to change in between, from what they've been accustomed in the past or whatnot, and that's understandable. MB's FSS system has proven itself, with vehicles that have gone well over 100k using the syn oil and the 10k intervals with no problems (engine wise).

HTH
Old 05-05-2004, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Even though the syn oil itself doesn't break down like regular hydro oil, it still gets crud in it. Changing it at 5K or 7.5K miles would be better.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I change all oil in my cars at intervals of 5K miles. E320, E55 everything with Mobil 1 SuperSyn. I guess you guys can call me old fashioned as well. It's around $100 but worth it. Im not a believer of the whole "get the car serviced whe the FSS comes on" theory. Im glad the MBUSA is going back to its normal schedule intervals before the whole FSS concept was introduced. This is a step in the right direction.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by MB Fanatic
I change all oil in my cars at intervals of 5K miles. E320, E55 everything with Mobil 1 SuperSyn. I guess you guys can call me old fashioned as well. It's around $100 but worth it. Im not a believer of the whole "get the car serviced whe the FSS comes on" theory. Im glad the MBUSA is going back to its normal schedule intervals before the whole FSS concept was introduced. This is a step in the right direction.
Where did you hear this? From all the artciles that have been posted, the FSS is going to 13k intervals instead of the current 10k intervals...

But nonetheless, MB has proven their system that they pioneered to work as it should without detrimental effects. There was a SLK with over 400k miles that used the FSS...running just as strong. Everyone has their different views
Old 05-06-2004, 04:41 AM

2004 E55
I kind of split the difference between old school and the warranty. I'm having mine changed every 5,000 miles. And it's easier than constantly trying to figure every 3,000. Gives me peace of mind and it's less than 4 times a year so no biggie expense wise.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:47 AM

I plan to do my own at 5k intervals. If you do this, KEEP AN ACCURATE LOG BOOK WITH ALL RECEIPTS. If you don’t, they can give you big warranty grief.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:16 AM

E55
Thanks guys. I think you have convinced me to split the difference and change every 5k. One thing for sure, it can't hurt anything but the ole pocketbook and it will give me peace of mind and possibility longer engine wear.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:53 PM

'06 M6, '05 Lambo Gallardo
My 996TT's 1st oil change is a 15k miles. I follow the manufacturer's recommendations to the letter. Most people would think that's crazy, but realize the whole "Change your oil every 3,000 miles" thing was created by the car dealerships (before maintenance was included) to generate more service revenue as well as the oil companies (to boost revenues as well). Smart marketing, but obviously companies like Porsche and MB wouldn't offer 4 year warranties along with longer oil change intervals if it would put the car (or their warranty repair dollars) at risk. They didn't get where they are by purposely wasting money on potentially costly repairs that they have to foot the bill for. I'll stick to their guidelines.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:56 AM

2004 E55
While I would never argue with following the guidelines, I understand why people change it more often. It can't hurt it can only help is one thing. Also, there is something about changing the oil in their car that makes people feel good. You're proud of your baby whether it's an E55 or a well maintained older Accord, and you've just done something to help extend its life. The answer is probably whatever makes you feel comfortable, up to but not exceeding the warranty guidelines.