Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK need advice and help P0106 and hiccup, reward again offered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:39 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Yeah i have a spare snout so i may buy a adaptor plate kit an install it so that i can go back to the stocker easily if i want. But first i am gunna try an old trick. I RTVed the one metal gasket on an i ordered a few more to have them an im gunna RTV another nee metal gasket on top an then RTV the Tb to it as well making a perfect air tight sandwiched fit with a makeshift MLS tb gasket. So far no problems but time will tell
Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 AM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Ok so heres the update ...... while I think the gasket helped seal the TB to the mounting flange and the car runs better and such it didnt fix the weird hiccup.

But i did learn some new things ..... first off the hiccup DOES NOT HAPPEN at all on the freeway if I am using cruise, this was verified 14 times in one day (also been driving for weeks and it never happened in cruise on any other day either) .... I tried the same road, same speed and even on the same day (probably looked weird me driving this strip of freeway that many times lol) if I was using my foot to keep car at speed it would almost always hiccup and go into the weird lean map most the time having NO codes in the ECU, but if it did have one in the ECU it was P0106 never the P0505 only 106. But like i said most the time it didnt have a code at all and still ran ok just lean ..... and dont even think bout part throttle or WOT cus it would go to 17s part and so I didnt even dare to try WOT. But every single time I drove the same stretch of freeway using cruise the hiccup NEVER happened. This has to mean something in the tune is wacked out otherwise it should happen whether in cruise or not, the throttle has to modulate just like when using your foot. Also it always goes back to normal if i stop turn car off and turn it back on.

I have checked and rechecked for leaks and gaskets and such I have a brand new Mercedes MAP sensor just installed new Mercedes IAT sensor new Mercedes gaskets throughout sealed with either mercedes sealant or the right stuff allowed over 24 hrs to set.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
SL55, GL450, and 300SE
Originally Posted by E55amg0220
Ok so heres the update ...... while I think the gasket helped seal the TB to the mounting flange and the car runs better and such it didnt fix the weird hiccup.

But i did learn some new things ..... first off the hiccup DOES NOT HAPPEN at all on the freeway if I am using cruise, this was verified 14 times in one day (also been driving for weeks and it never happened in cruise on any other day either) .... I tried the same road, same speed and even on the same day (probably looked weird me driving this strip of freeway that many times lol) if I was using my foot to keep car at speed it would almost always hiccup and go into the weird lean map most the time having NO codes in the ECU, but if it did have one in the ECU it was P0106 never the P0505 only 106. But like i said most the time it didnt have a code at all and still ran ok just lean ..... and dont even think bout part throttle or WOT cus it would go to 17s part and so I didnt even dare to try WOT. But every single time I drove the same stretch of freeway using cruise the hiccup NEVER happened. This has to mean something in the tune is wacked out otherwise it should happen whether in cruise or not, the throttle has to modulate just like when using your foot. Also it always goes back to normal if i stop turn car off and turn it back on.

I have checked and rechecked for leaks and gaskets and such I have a brand new Mercedes MAP sensor just installed new Mercedes IAT sensor new Mercedes gaskets throughout sealed with either mercedes sealant or the right stuff allowed over 24 hrs to set.
Now that we know the intake is sealed, If I were you, I would try an unmolested 82mm throttle body. Get a TB from S550 or something similar, swap TBs, and see how that goes.

Also, check your ECM for codes with a proper SD scanner, and make sure your gas pedal is not throwing a code for unrecognized potentiometer signal
Old 12-10-2017, 12:00 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Already done the new Tb thing if u go back a few posts i too thought maybe i messed up the TB thinning the shaft so i got a very low mileage 08 s550 tb an just cleaned it up with brake cleaner an stuck it on no playing with the throttle shaft at all hasnt made a change.

i did happen to be scanning and logging the car with torque pro when it happened an sent the info to tony havent heard back yet on that. I dont currently have a star but getting one soon they said takes a few weeks to get here. But im thinking that the car has to throttle maps one for foot n one used with cruise. As we know all tuners increase the sensitivity of the tb for faster acuation im wondering if its too fast for small changes causing the hiccup ... just a thought
Old 12-10-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Already done the new Tb thing if u go back a few posts i too thought maybe i messed up the TB thinning the shaft so i got a very low mileage 08 s550 tb an just cleaned it up with brake cleaner an stuck it on no playing with the throttle shaft at all hasnt made a change.

i did happen to be scanning and logging the car with torque pro when it happened an sent the info to tony havent heard back yet on that. I dont currently have a star but getting one soon they said takes a few weeks to get here. But im thinking that the car has to throttle maps one for foot n one used with cruise. As we know all tuners increase the sensitivity of the tb for faster acuation im wondering if its too fast for small changes causing the hiccup ... just a thought

Some ecu are just more finicky to tune.,I would suggest a street tune to clear this issue up.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Have you thought about flashing the original backed up software back in for testing purposes?
Old 12-10-2017, 02:03 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
I do have the backup tune but the car would need to be put back to stock 74mm tb original pulley stock injectors and such an at the moment just not in the cards. I may see if tony can play with the tb settings an see if that helps

if there were someone here that was able to do a street tune id have already done that haha hopefully tony comes this way
Old 12-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Banned

No you can drive the original software with your 82 mm TB. You might not have the extra “power” but for testing purposes it’s fine. That way you can rule out a software glitch.

Its def. worth a try.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:32 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mackhack
No you can drive the original software with your 82 mm TB. You might not have the extra “power” but for testing purposes it’s fine. That way you can rule out a software glitch.

Its def. worth a try.
i suppose couldnt hurt only thing that would be a problem is my bigger injectors lol hummmmm got me thinking

dont know what else it could be other than something in the software cus its definitely sealed and ive tried a new MAP and a new good TB and to me if it hiccups when using the pedal should do so when in cruise if it was a leak of some sort
Old 12-10-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
NA
Sorry you're having problems. I'm rethinking going 82mm tb based on your experience. Strange it just started happening out of the blue. I might just go 80 with matching snout and call it a day. Doesn't seem like the extra 10-15 whp of the 82 vs 80 is worth the potential driveability issues.

The warping of the adapter theory is interesting though. But I recall some people with completely welded adapters/mounting points having these hiccups.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:58 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Yeah if it were just an adapter plate id probably have removed it an put the stock tb back on. But as it is im just tryin to figure out what could be causing it. An yeah it was working great an the out of the blue started doing this makes no sense.

if u have the means an an 80mm will not do this same problem id say go for it i sure would if i knew then what i know now. But i have heard of guys changing to the 80mm an snout an having the same problems so idk.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Banned

I regret the upgrade too. Basically you take a perfectly running engine and induce all sorts of headaches for more power. In reality it makes no sense to do this in a country where our government believes its citizens are too dumb to decide whether they can make good judgment calls on speed and forces us to drive at a 65 mph speed limit whereas everything else in life has to be done as fast as possible.

Anyways, I had a leak (donut grommet between bypass and intercooler) and fixed it, I replaced more good parts for nothing just to rule them out and found out that one of my exhaust manifolds has a crack. I hope once that is taken care of the unmetered air issue is finally history and I can drive again without the fear that the car will end up on a flatbed tow truck 1000 miles away from home on a trip.

My take on this is: I wouldn’t do it again for any power gain whatsoever regardless of what anyone says. And I will never suggest it to anyone.

For the 80 mm upgrade make sure you swap the pins of the cable harness.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:00 PM

E55 amg
You guys got a leak or need to reset the ecu to read the tb correctly ..6 of us run this with no ill effects of you got a 505 from time to time like every 4 k I wound t worry about that ..Ecu sees a lot of air and the plate at times closes late then a code can pop up
Old 12-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Banned

I did the initialization more than once with my SD after each time I worked on the problem. That is def. not the issue here for me.

Let’s see what happens after I replace the cracked exhaust manifold.

Btw. the Internet is full of the same issues. It’s not just a few people who have it after the upgrade.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Well if i got a leak it sure is hiding good cus i have replaced everythng more than once an done more than 1 tb reset with the SD an i cant figure it out driving me nuts though
Old 12-10-2017, 10:31 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by Mackhack
I did the initialization more than once with my SD after each time I worked on the problem. That is def. not the issue here for me.

Let’s see what happens after I replace the cracked exhaust manifold.

Btw. the Internet is full of the same issues. It’s not just a few people who have it after the upgrade.

were all Street tuned ,this why I hate base files.Get a tune custom and you’ll have no problem .Your learning out before open loop on that part throttle table
Old 12-10-2017, 11:17 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Agreed i just need someone to take the time an do a street tune.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by oneslow55
You guys got a leak or need to reset the ecu to read the tb correctly ..6 of us run this with no ill effects of you got a 505 from time to time like every 4 k I wound t worry about that ..Ecu sees a lot of air and the plate at times closes late then a code can pop up
Where are you located? The fact that none of the many cars you've installed these tb's on has had this problem makes me wonder if it could be exacerbated or facilitated by geo (eg, elevation, climate). Not discounting that tuning is important to this issue, but from what I recall there were people who had custom tunes with their 82 who continued to have this problem (though tunes helped lessen the frequency of occurrence). And on the flip side, there were people with canned tunes and 82 tb's that said they never had a single noticeable issue in years of use.
The following 2 users liked this post by GM_Lover:
ecmexchange (12-12-2017), Mackhack (12-12-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
Did you remove the push to connect fitting above the vacuum line on the snout? I noticed mine was leaking and it was very hard to see. I removed it and tapped 1/4npt. Used a pipe plug and sealed it up.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:55 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by seanol
Did you remove the push to connect fitting above the vacuum line on the snout? I noticed mine was leaking and it was very hard to see. I removed it and tapped 1/4npt. Used a pipe plug and sealed it up.
i havent done that but have thought about it but i have sprayed it directly with carb an brake cleaner an no change in idle
Old 12-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
i havent done that but have thought about it but i have sprayed it directly with carb an brake cleaner an no change in idle
Mine did not either. When I pressed it out there was oil mist in the snout hole as well. It is held in by an o-ring and it does blow out under boost, at least on mine. One more place to have a leak.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:38 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
May have to do something with that
Old 12-13-2017, 06:51 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Well so i have had it happen a couple times lately while goin round town so it only being at highway speeds isnt true anymore. I have also gotten a p0106 usually which i have a brand new MAP so dont know what else it could be its clean an wires are good. But i also got a p0456 evap small leak code as well. Checked gas cap its tight but like i said normally i dont get a code. Still wondering if its the tb opening too fast causing some sort of issue cause it still does not happen in cruise control ever.

other than this small nuisance car is running amazing
Old 12-25-2017, 05:00 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
OK UPDATE

Ok guys I always like to come back to update and fill people in on the changes that i get

So after changing everything I could I decided on one more hail mary before i call it quits with the 82mm TB .... only thing I have not changed during this entire process was my welded snout so I contacted VRP and he felt the same that it was in the snout. So i got one of his ported snouts with an adapter ... this way if it didnt work I could take it off and go back to the 74mm. So i ordered all new gaskets from MB and I mean ALL new once again haha .... only done this 5 times anyway haha. I got them and the new snout and when I took off my old snout .... i found the culprit ...... that dam plastic plug that serves ZERO purpose had a small crack in it.

Put everything together and this time I took the plug off the new snout and used a 5800 psi epoxy and filled it up and let it dry and then installed it. Being it serves no purpose for us E class guys no need for it I woulda welded it closed but my welder was stolen a while ago. But after all was said and done got it together and have put just over a 100 miles on the car ( almost all freeway) with the new snout on and so far (knock on wood) no check engine codes, no hiccup and no lean problems at all. So ill keep testing and see if anything changes but so far its looking hopeful
Old 12-25-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06' E55 AMG, 03' E55 AMG
I did the same thing on mine, welded the plug shut and still no luck sadly... hopefully it works out for you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OK need advice and help P0106 and hiccup, reward again offered