W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To replace pulley bearing, or pulley itself... that is the question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55, 02 540i/6
To replace pulley bearing, or pulley itself... that is the question...

Hey Peeps,

So I am in a bit of a pickle. I noticed a week ago that my supercharger pulley bearing was a bit noisy, almost like a skateboard wheel going south, but it wasn't too bad once warmed up. Now today starting up in the cold california mornings (lol) I noticed it was creating a bit of a ruckus under the hood. So my question is.. should I replace the bearing and continue on with my plan for the car which is.. maintenance,cooling mods, exhaust(headers), THEN engine/blower mods or am I safe to slap a pulley on there before I continue with the rest of my plan. Is there anything I should worry about having an upgraded pulley without any supporting mods done first? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 12-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Replace the bearing or use the funds towards a purchase of a 83mm SCP

Last edited by shardul; 12-13-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 393 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
Perfect time to upgrade the Pulley, Whatever size you decide to go with you will need a tune. With an 83mm youll be fine without supporting mods right now. but if you plan on going 76mm eventually its not going to hurt you to run it for a while before getting the cooling up to snuff.

depending on your budget you could do our stage 2 cooling kit right now, along side the 76 pulley and tune.

Dont forget to check which IC pump you have on the car currently. (you want 010)

As for the pulley and bearing, we offer the bearings for $57, or if youd like a pulley and tune shoot me a PM and ill send you a coupon code for the holiday discount.

you can see a review of our pulley here >
As a note: he is currently not running any supporting mods with the pulley, but plans to in the near future. you would be in the same position
Old 12-13-2017, 01:49 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
83mm and tune unless you have some very overdue maintenance.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:19 PM

05 E55, 02 540i/6
Originally Posted by tw2
83mm and tune unless you have some very overdue maintenance.
Nothing seriously overdue.. Engine/Supercharger Oil Change + New Rotors/Pads on the horizon. The rotors are toast but i figured since I baby the car most of the time, I have some meat on the pads to use before I change them
Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 PM

05 E55, 02 540i/6
Opted to just purchase the replacement bearing for now. Gonna spend the money to get her sturdy before I do any tuning, and I felt it would be a waste to tune for just pulley when I plan on upgrading the cooling shortly after. Thanks for the suggestions though guys. Very grateful for this community, as I am learning so much about the car. This forum is worth its weight in gold.. literally!
Old 12-13-2017, 06:56 PM

05 E55, 02 540i/6
Funny how this happens right after I post about it hahah, well I’m wishing I had replaced it sooner now
Old 12-13-2017, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Buy a scattershield.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:34 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Ah it's not that bad lol. +1 on the scatter shield.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:46 PM

05 E55, 02 540i/6
I was able to drive the car home after work at least.. not sure how the scatter shield would help me at this point though?? lol
What exactly does it do?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Read here. I believe he has a link to what problems he had in the past.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...er-pulley.html
Old 12-13-2017, 11:27 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Beefe55
I was able to drive the car home after work at least.. not sure how the scatter shield would help me at this point though?? lol
What exactly does it do?
It doesn't help you at all with this problem. It is just a good idea for anyone with a clutched pulley especially aftermarket but also stock. If the pulley explodes it shields vital and expensive engine components from the debris and destruction.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:02 AM

05 E55, 02 540i/6
Originally Posted by tw2
It doesn't help you at all with this problem. It is just a good idea for anyone with a clutched pulley especially aftermarket but also stock. If the pulley explodes it shields vital and expensive engine components from the debris and destruction.
ahh I see.. ok well I will add that to the wishlist. For now.. I just need to get this thing back on the road
The following users liked this post:
actech (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:35 AM

05 E55, 02 540i/6
Here's an update on the bearing replacement so far.. so at the moment I am still waiting on the bearing, but I decided to go ahead and take off the pulley and get it ready to drop in. I will add that I was struggling to get the bolt off the pulley, and after some determination and cursing I managed to get it off. Everything seemed to go wrong, so I ended up spending a lot of time running around for tools at various stores. I was using a 15/16 wrench since I didn't have a 24mm, and it was chewing up the corners on the the bolt a bit when wacking it some with my dead blow hammer. So I ended up picking up a 24mm husky wrench which ended up being a worse fit then my 15/16(Go Figure). Also bought some C-Clip pliers which happened to be too small. And on top of that I had bought some metal straps which ended up stripping and caused another unnecessary trip to the hard ware store. But in all, I have prevailed and I am very grateful. A lot and trial and error but with determination we can always find a way. I had tried doing all the work myself, but what saved me in the end is when I finally asked my buddy to give me an extra hand. Here's my 2 Cents to anyone who cares..

For removing the bolt- Make sure to use two metal straps, and if you dont want your clutch scratched then tape it prior. I scratched the **** outta mine but its not a big deal. a cover goes over it anyways. Tighten the front strap a tiny bit off set since the metal pieces they stop on arent on the same plane. It will slip a tiny bit, but once it catches both straps it should hold. I sprayed some PB Blaster penetrating fluid(I placed a towel underneath the pulley to catch dropping fluid), and then had used to two wrench method for extra leverage to blast the bolt right off. What I needed was for my friend to hold the end of the wrench (the one on the bolt) in place since there is not much bolt to grab and my tool kept slipping off when I was by myself. I had him place the end of a large adjustable wrench right in the hole of the wrench/bolt and keep pressure on it so it wouldnt slip off. Also if your wondering what the two wrench method is, it's when you place another closed end wrench on the open end side of the wrench thats already on the bolt, therefore doubling your leverage.

For removing the C-Clip- If your like me and don't have the correct size C-Clip/Snap Ring pliers, BUT you do have hooked picks, you can use these to take it off. I had my friend hook one side while I hooked the other, and we managed to get it out. Take caution and don't hold the pulley from top though, because the pick can slip, which it did and sliced my buddy. Hold from the bottom (should be common sense right?)

For removing the Bearing- IF your like me and don't have access to a press, then dont worry because I managed to get the bearing out fairly easily. I did buy a long bolt with washers for hammering out the pulley, but it turned out the washers were too small (told you everything was going wrong lol). BUT I did have washer from the pulley I just took off (Anybody please correct me if this was'nt a good idea). So i made a tool from the pulley washer and one of my half inch sockets. I placed the pulley upside down in between a few 2x6 I stacked up, and my buddy and I both held the boards in place with our feet. He held the pulley by putting part of his toe on the end, and I held the tool with vice grips with a hammer in my other hand. Using a decent sized hammer, i popped the bearing out in about dozen wacks. If it looks like its not budging, dont give up! it will go eventually.

SO there is my experience with the job so far. It was a pain in the *** at first, but only because I had no prior experience. Everything was basically improvised from info I had already learned here on the forums. I am still waiting on the bearing. Luckily I can still drive the car around lol.. I have a couple pics, probably could have took a few more
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0621.MOV (2.99 MB, 50 views)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:37 AM

05 E55, 02 540i/6

Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 AM

05 E55, 02 540i/6
Wanted to come back and add a note.. during some portion of my R&R of the pulley bearing, I ended up stretching/bending one of the 3 "dog bone" tabs that secure the pulley to the clutch surface. This I had believed was irreversible and forced me to purchase an upgraded pulley early. I suggest being very careful during R&R to avoid this same matter.. I was ignorant as there was not much info on this. Possibly due to being common sense??
Old 02-08-2018, 01:56 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 CLS55
good word of warning. I think this may have been caused by a pulley being stuck on the shaft a bit and an excess of force (congrats on being strong) being used to remove the pulley.
Square / even tension on the pulley is key to getting it off straight.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
I got an 84 (or 83mm) pulley from Shardul because I was debating the same thing, I was too lazy to change the pulley bearing out so I just went for the more boost option.

Haven't installed it still lmk if you want it.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 AM

05 E55, 02 540i/6
Originally Posted by FunkTron
good word of warning. I think this may have been caused by a pulley being stuck on the shaft a bit and an excess of force (congrats on being strong) being used to remove the pulley.
Square / even tension on the pulley is key to getting it off straight.
I don't believe it happened during removal from car, but when removing bearing itself. While I was hammering out the bearing, I had it upside down on the 2x4s(evident in pics) and I believe it was during this time, as I bent the clutch outwards, not inwards, causing to make contact with the mating surface on SC. What I needed was access to a vice, as the pulley was sliding a bit and it might have caught the lip of the wood, bending the plate.

Originally Posted by MACEDON
I got an 84 (or 83mm) pulley from Shardul because I was debating the same thing, I was too lazy to change the pulley bearing out so I just went for the more boost option.

Haven't installed it still lmk if you want it.
Thank you, but this R&R job is over a month old now. I ended up buying an 83mm pulley from eurocharged and slapping that on with the tune. It was the advice that given to me to begin with when I started this thread, but I opted for the cheaper option. Ended up losing $70 and time, but I learned a good lesson to share at least

Last edited by Beefe55; 02-09-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:14 PM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
S55
Originally Posted by Beefe55
Wanted to come back and add a note.. during some portion of my R&R of the pulley bearing, I ended up stretching/bending one of the 3 "dog bone" tabs that secure the pulley to the clutch surface. This I had believed was irreversible and forced me to purchase an upgraded pulley early. I suggest being very careful during R&R to avoid this same matter.. I was ignorant as there was not much info on this. Possibly due to being common sense??
I don't mean to bring this back up, but I was recently changing the bearing on an S55 that I just got, and I did the same exact thing. Now I just had to spend $400 on a new pulley, plus the $45 for the bearing in the old pulley that is going in scrap. I feel like such a dumbass.

Peace.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I had to make that same decision on my E55. Found thread about bearing replacement with all of the part numbers. Took old bearing out, put the new one in. Grinding sound was gone! However, because bearing allowed dirt and dust got between the bearing and the pulley, causing part of the metal to wear out and that allowed for the wobble of the pulley. Ended up spending $$$ on a fully assembled pulley with bearing in it from fcpeuro.
Replaced the whole unit and ahhhhh, no more grind or wobble.
The following users liked this post:
paste (03-18-2021)