Sponsored by:

08' e63 AMG driveshaft vibration.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E63 AMG
08' e63 AMG driveshaft vibration.

Hey guys, I've been noticing a vibration in my Benz mostly coming from under the center arm rest of the car. I can feel is much stronger vibration when I'm accelerating normally from stop to about 50-60mph is. After that, when I get on the gas I can still feel a vibration but it's not quite as hard. I'm almost sure it's the driveshaft where it connects with the differential. You guys have much more knowledge and experience so I need some advice. Is it more likely to be the rubber bushing at the end of the driveshaft or something else .
Thanks
Old 12-25-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
E63 and GL450, ML350 bluetec
Vibs that change with speed normally point to wheel and tire balance issues, why do you think its a driveshaft?
even rebalancing old tireswont allways fix the problem. I boughta new 4runner this year and even after taking the car back to fix unbalanced wheels fromthe factory the problem came back after 100 miles and the tires had to be replaced.
Originally Posted by drey88
Hey guys, I've been noticing a vibration in my Benz mostly coming from under the center arm rest of the car. I can feel is much stronger vibration when I'm accelerating normally from stop to about 50-60mph is. After that, when I get on the gas I can still feel a vibration but it's not quite as hard. I'm almost sure it's the driveshaft where it connects with the differential. You guys have much more knowledge and experience so I need some advice. Is it more likely to be the rubber bushing at the end of the driveshaft or something else .
Thanks
Old 12-25-2017, 11:13 PM

2008 E63 AMG
I'm 99% sure that it's the driveshaft. Wheel and tire issues such as balance and alignment tend to get worse the faster you go, plus I just got brand new tires and alignment. And I started noticing the vibration a while back. And I only make sure the vibration noise when I hit the gas pedal. And now is gettting worse. I can hear it at any speed when I step on the throttle. Plus it feels like it's coming from right under the center of the car . And knowing how I drive aggressively and tail whippin every other turn or intersection, it has to be the driveshaft. Im just curious what part of it is most likely to go bad first from driving like this. Can anyone help out with their knowledge?
Old 12-26-2017, 01:39 PM

2008 E63 AMG
I'm 99% sure that it's the driveshaft. Wheel and tire issues such as balance and alignment tend to get worse the faster you go, plus I just got brand new tires and alignment. And I started noticing the vibration a while back. And I only make sure the vibration noise when I hit the gas pedal. And now is gettting worse. I can hear it at any speed when I step on the throttle. Plus it feels like it's coming from right under the center of the car . And knowing how I drive aggressively and tail whippin every other turn or intersection, it has to be the driveshaft. Im just curious what part of it is most likely to go bad first from driving like this. Can anyone help out with their knowledge?
Old 12-27-2017, 06:54 PM

2008 E63 AMG
Can anyone help me out with this discussion
Old 01-05-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
09 E63 AMG
Don't know if this will help but I had a slight vibration in my E55 that was worse at low speed. Kind of went away at higher speeds. I thought it was driveline as well but ended up being tranny mount. Which was actually an easy and cheap fix. Maybe something to look into?
The following users liked this post:
drey88 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E63 AMG
Have you gotten under the car and inspected it to see if there is any obvious damage, missing hardware, etc? I wouldn't place too much trust in your "I feel it here so it must BE here" diagnosis. Vibration in the driveshaft is going to be transmitted to the car through the transmission at one end and differential at the other. The transmission is connected to the frame via the crossmember at the rear and through the engine which sits on two hydraulic mounts. By the time vibration gets to you, it's transferred through several different "joints".
Old 01-09-2018, 02:45 AM

2008 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by maximus16v
Don't know if this will help but I had a slight vibration in my E55 that was worse at low speed. Kind of went away at higher speeds. I thought it was driveline as well but ended up being tranny mount. Which was actually an easy and cheap fix. Maybe something to look into?
i wanted to chime in with some update. I actually don't think it's the drive shaft because when I'm parked or in neutral. If o rev the gas I get the same vibration. So that narrowed it down. And I'm pretty certain now that it' is the tranny mounts. And I remembered when I bought he car I had a Benz dealer inspect it and they said the tranny mounts might need to be changed soon. So I'm pretty sure it also that.
Thanks for your insite. Anyone know where to order some decent not too pricey mounts for my car?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 AM

2008 E63 AMG

i wanted to chime in with some update. I actually don't think it's the drive shaft because when I'm parked or in neutral. If o rev the gas I get the same vibration. So that narrowed it down. And I'm pretty certain now that it' is the tranny mounts. And I remembered when I bought he car I had a Benz dealer inspect it and they said the tranny mounts might need to be changed soon. So I'm pretty sure it also that.
Thanks for your insite. Anyone know where to order some decent not too pricey mounts for my car?
the tranny only has a single mount at the rear. The engine/tranny assembly is held up by that rear mount and the two engine mounts.

The engine mounts and the tranny mount mount can be had for about $200. The job to replace them is a fun one though and Mercedes quoted me $1500 for it. I did it myself.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 PM

2008 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by kcobean

the tranny only has a single mount at the rear. The engine/tranny assembly is held up by that rear mount and the two engine mounts.

The engine mounts and the tranny mount mount can be had for about $200. The job to replace them is a fun one though and Mercedes quoted me $1500 for it. I did it myself.
yea I'm hoping it's just the tranny mount. That's pretty simple to change. I'm fortunate enough to have friends with shops with lifts. Do most work ourselves. Probly a big factor why the car is still pretty affordable to own. Never have to pay ridiculous labor prices. And If engine mounts are bad, might suck a bit but we'll get it. Already ordered tranny mount also
Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 PM

2008 E63 AMG

yea I'm hoping it's just the tranny mount. That's pretty simple to change. I'm fortunate enough to have friends with shops with lifts. Do most work ourselves. Probly a big factor why the car is still pretty affordable to own. Never have to pay ridiculous labor prices. And If engine mounts are bad, might suck a bit but we'll get it. Already ordered tranny mount also
When I changed the mounts on my '08, the tranny mount was in good shape. The engine mounts looked like this:

If you're gonna change one, I'd change 'em all, but I doubt that just tranny mount is your issue. I could be wrong though. engine mounts were $150 through FCP Euro and tranny mount was like $30 or something.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:29 PM

2008 E63 AMG
By the way, where in VA are you?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 PM

2008 E63 AMG
Harrisonburg va.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 PM

2008 E63 AMG
Harrisonburg va.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 PM

2008 E63 AMG
When I changed the mounts on my '08, the tranny mount was in good shape. The engine mounts looked like this:

If you're gonna change one, I'd change 'em all, but I doubt that just tranny mount is your issue. I could be wrong though. engine mounts were $150 through FCP Euro and tranny mount was like $30 or something.
so I changed my tranny mount and car drives way way smoother. While I was under the car I looked at the driveshaft carrier bearing and wiggled the drive shaft and it looked like the carrier bearing was cracked and I need to replace that. Any idea on how much I can get a carrier bearing/bushing for a reasonable price and not the cheapest quality
thanks
Old 04-29-2019, 12:45 PM

2007 e63 amg
Thanks
I have this issue, in the video below,
is it the same issue with you Drey88?
THanks
Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
It could be that you might have a bad flex couplers, the flex coupler is used to connect the transmission to the driveshaft, and the driveshaft to the rear differential. So your car has two of them.
Or it could be a bad transmission mount or engine mounts. All these will need to be checked to eliminate your issue. I personally don't think that it's a driveshaft issue.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Now that video sounds like a loss exhaust.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:50 AM

2007 e63 amg
I think I found the problem, After I watch this video:
I this is what I found with my drive shaft center support mount (sorry for speaking in not English)
Ordered Parts and will work on it this weekend.