Sponsored by:

Arnott's kit install problem, ideas please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 SL55, 2006 LS7 Ute
Arnott's kit install problem, ideas please

I did the front coil overs no problems. In reassembling the left rear suspension after no problems with the shock or spring and perches, I noticed that I had managed to pull the half shaft out of the diff. It went back in easily however has not seated properly and is why I believe I can't fit the lower main link into the upright. The half shaft is 5 mm short of seating in the pic. The other pic shows how far I have to go, taken with all the weight on a jack stand under the shock mount. Do I have to r&r the half shaft then re-assemble? Cheers.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Make sure that axle is seated all the way in ,gently tap it ,there is a small circlip on the inside you might have to get it past that
Old 04-28-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by cnterline
Make sure that axle is seated all the way in ,gently tap it ,there is a small circlip on the inside you might have to get it past that
Thanks for that. I am going to buy the torks socket to remove the caliper and disc before trying that. Nothing will budge when tapping on in as it is. Cheers.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by trabots
Thanks for that. I am going to buy the torks socket to remove the caliper and disc before trying that. Nothing will budge when tapping on in as it is. Cheers.
There should be enough movement in the axle joints for that not to be causing the hang up. I usually take the arm off the other side so my memory is fuzzy on the hub side but make sure there isn't a sleeve in the knuckle that needs to be pushed back in the direction the bolt comes from. SL R230 cars have a sleeve that pushes against the control arm when the bolt is tightened, in order to easily get the arm back in that sleeve must be pushed out a couple mm. The picture you posted is exactly where the SL will hang up if the sleeve isn't pushed back
The following users liked this post:
dinnyin (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by knowbenz
There should be enough movement in the axle joints for that not to be causing the hang up. I usually take the arm off the other side so my memory is fuzzy on the hub side but make sure there isn't a sleeve in the knuckle that needs to be pushed back in the direction the bolt comes from. SL R230 cars have a sleeve that pushes against the control arm when the bolt is tightened, in order to easily get the arm back in that sleeve must be pushed out a couple mm. The picture you posted is exactly where the SL will hang up if the sleeve isn't pushed back
That was it mate thank you so much. The bushing sits proud and that was hanging up the suspension bush. I had to put a big headed bolt against the bushing and with a nut on the other end I was able to press it in enough to fiddle the bolt through. For some reason I can't find the 'thank you' button but thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
knowbenz (04-28-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 03:45 AM

Arnott's now installed. What do you reckon about the ride height? It is around minimum between the first raise and the 2nd raise with Airmatic. Not very happy. Can't the Star remove Airmatic? The kit came with a piggy back module to attach to the Airmatic computer to remove error messages.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:47 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by trabots

Arnott's now installed. What do you reckon about the ride height? It is around minimum between the first raise and the 2nd raise with Airmatic. Not very happy. Can't the Star remove Airmatic? The kit came with a piggy back module to attach to the Airmatic computer to remove error messages.
Well i have the arrnots an the suspension is going to be abiut 3/4 inch high for.about 2 to 3 weeks depending how much u drive it ... mines a daily driver so it worked itself in within 2 weeks. Seems to ride between sport 1 and 2 but i like the feel an not having to worry bout the air failing is great. The piggy back works good just put it in an done. I dont know if star can remove the code but i havent gotten any code for over a year.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by E55amg0220
Well i have the arrnots an the suspension is going to be abiut 3/4 inch high for.about 2 to 3 weeks depending how much u drive it ... mines a daily driver so it worked itself in within 2 weeks. Seems to ride between sport 1 and 2 but i like the feel an not having to worry bout the air failing is great. The piggy back works good just put it in an done. I dont know if star can remove the code but i havent gotten any code for over a year.

Thanks for that I was hoping someone would say it lowers in time. I do like the ride and feel of it. The only issue with the computer is the message on start-up which goes with one push of the button and then no further messages. So when my tires need replacing I will go to 40 series from 35 to help fill the wheel well. That and a relaxing of the springs should make it all worthwhile. Now to help with the same on my son's E500.