W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel smell after fill up, what would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 09:17 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Fuel assembly as expected is NOT covered in New Zealand so I will be replacing the pumps myself sometime. I will get a new lock ring as they are cheap. Might as well leave the sender side alone as it is fine.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:44 PM

Received 182 Likes on 75 Posts
W221 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tw2
Hey guys, I have had a fuel smell in the garage only after filling up completely. I thought it was just a few times but my wife informs me it is ever since I have had the car. I have read many threads and it seems that most people experienced the smell (leak) coming back within months of replacing everything. It seems they revised the parts several times since then. My questions are
- What you would recommend to replace?
- Has anyone done this in the last couple of years and NOT had the leak return? ie have they finally designed/made the parts well enough to actually fix the problem?
My car only has 26,000 miles so I don't want to replace unnecessary items but my E55 repair fund is pretty healthy so I will do whatever needs to be done.

Left side looks great

Right side, not so much

It seems to be leaking from below the fuel pump electrical connection. Is there a gasket here or should I be replacing the whole white pump assembly?
I fixed it.