W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasons why a typical alignment shop could not or should not do front end alignment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Reasons why a typical alignment shop could not or should not do front end alignment?

All,

I've read through forums and am just not clear on why I keep seeing folks say we must go to a dealership for alignment. I took a steering and suspension course about 20 years ago (which means little as I have a crappy memory) and remember just putting cars on the rack and typically only finding the need to adjust the tie rods (if memory serves) to get things into spec.

Can anyone fill me in on what I am missing? I typically avoid the dealership (and usually do my own work anyway) but just want to be sure I'm not screwing myself by going to any alignment shop. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Go to this thread and read my posts. I do my own alignments. Otherwise, any competent alignment shop can set the toe. Camber has limited adjustability using slotted bolts and/or calibrating the suspension.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...alignment.html
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (01-19-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I take mine to Goodyear which sells a 3 year alignment warranty warranty for $179 but they offer $10-$25 off once in a while. NTB and Firestone also sell alignment warranties, but not sure what their prices are. Most forum threads basically say the same thing, they basically set the toe. Seems fine so far. Considering the price of the alignment at the dealer, you mind as well skip it and just spend the money on replacing the tires that wear out sooner or just go with one of those chain shops.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:52 PM

CLS55
As a follow up, there's no magic sauce here. Any good alignment shop will do, dealer not required.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Sorry, I have to disagree.
Yes any tyre shop can do it, once the setting align data is released to the public- read non dealer networks.
In Australia manuf are not required to release any info re settings to non OEM parties.
On our GLC, MB Oz have changed the factory default settings at least 3 times in an effort to fix a tyre wear matter with RHD models.
Once this fine tuning is sorted, and you have a print out of before and after default settings, then maybe you can have a third party use that data to replicate the align settings.
Until that happens I will be using MB dealership to protect my investment in tyres and aim for 45,000km plus life before replacing.
Tyre rotation is a no brainer and you can do that yourself, just torque your wheel bolts to dealer spec, if you have it.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
on my e55 on the latest hunter machine (which most independent mechanics carry) rear alignment was done to perfection but as far as the front goes i think camber or toe i dont remember cannot be adjusted. supposedly you need some bolts. so i got 2 bolts but my mechanic says those bolts dont work. maybe its not for AMG models. i was thinking of getting those KMac bushings to try to get it perfect.

whats your experience?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 AM

CLS55
My experience was to go to an Indie shop I have dealt with and got the alignment. Worked perfect. I only needed the front.