Sponsored by:

55Kompressor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sl55 amg
55Kompressor

hey guys. So this is my first post up on MBWorld. So let me start off with an introduction. I have a 2004 Sl55 Amg. My current mods so far are straight pipe with X pipe and stock mufflers, and a ECU/TCU flash and grippy tires on the rears. My 1/8th is a 7.7 and my 1/4th is about 12.1 with high heat temps.
My goal is to make the car a drag strip car that can hit high tens.
I currently have my garage filled with parts so I can do one big install.
BWK
Colder spark plugs
630cc Injectors
Injector harness
Killer chiller
Trunk tank
Lowering links
Bosch IC pump
Needswings Cold Air intake with gold thermal coating
178mm ASP Crank Pulley

I am also planning on adding a 83mm clutched S/C pulley. Then my boost should be at around 15.8 pounds. In the boost chart that shows right in the dark green. I also plan on potentially adding meth down the road.
now you might be asking why am I posting this in the e55 forum when I have an Sl55. Because it’s engine related and I assumed you guys would have more knowledge basing that their are more e55 drag cars than Sl55.
I was thinking about adding a small 25 shot of nitrous. This would mainly be for the launch, id spray to get off the line a bit quicker till my s/c can engage.
Of course I’d get slicks or DR for the rears so I have traction. But any optinions on this? I know some members have used nitrous but I don’t know if it is a safe thing to do on these engines even if it is a small shot. Let me know! I appreciate all feedback!
Old 03-09-2018, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Sounds like you are on the right track. The very first thing you should do is start logging. Even if it's just a cheapo ELM327 OBDII logger you can get good info about your IAT's, timing, and boost.

How much does the car weigh? Aren't the SL's even heavier than the E's?
Old 03-09-2018, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
I just noticed you didn't say anything about headers. Long Tubes should be first on your list.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
You are posting in the right place! Make sure you have enough fuel pressure. #8 has a tendency to lean out. One of the companies on here sells a slightly larger injector for that hole.
The guys with real world experience and knowledge drop by here from time to time, be patient. (Joe is one of them).
Old 03-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
You are posting in the right place! Make sure you have enough fuel pressure. #8 has a tendency to lean out. One of the companies on here sells a slightly larger injector for that hole.
The guys with real world experience and knowledge drop by here from time to time, be patient. (Joe is one of them).
First I heard of this on this car,if you do this your afr will be wacked out of place all the time.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:13 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I have heard of people flow testing them all and putting the highest flowing in number 8.

Last I checked it seemed that the looped rail didn't help much and most lean issues were put down to clogged fuel filters and or dying pumps.

I have no drag racing experience but I can't see anyone needing nitrous to get off the line. Traction is the enemy.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by oneslow55
First I heard of this on this car,if you do this your afr will be wacked out of place all the time.
It happens. I've seen it mentioned in quite a few threads on here. #8 can be a problem.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I'm just assuming the SL55 motor has the same fueling problems as an E55 and a CLS55. I don't know that from experience.
This forum was a lot different 5 years ago, The guys were right on top of all this stuff. I'm sure companies like Eurocharged still remember all the correct answers.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 03-10-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:24 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by Strigoi
It happens. I've seen it mentioned in quite a few threads on here. #8 can be a problem.
I know this I had several m113k 55 setups..I was talking about using one different injector which someone had said .
Old 03-10-2018, 07:26 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
I'm just assuming the SL55 motor has the same fueling problems as an E55 and a CLS55. I don't know that from experience.
This forum was a lot different 5 years ago, The guys were right on top of all this stuff. I'm sure companies like Eurocharged still remember all the correct answers.
Well said,all you see now threads about flames fart pops and tunes that make your car sound like *****
Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by tw2
I have heard of people flow testing them all and putting the highest flowing in number 8.

Last I checked it seemed that the looped rail didn't help much and most lean issues were put down to clogged fuel filters and or dying pumps.

I have no drag racing experience but I can't see anyone needing nitrous to get off the line. Traction is the enemy.
That was the dumbest thing I read so far..Your afr would not be correct as one cylinder will spray more you will be all over the place...You don't have a standalone and won't work on the stock ecu..Stop reading what people say cause it's bullcrap and they made it up .
Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
That was the dumbest thing I read so far..Your afr would not be correct as one cylinder will spray more you will be all over the place...You don't have a standalone and won't work on the stock ecu..Stop reading what people say cause it's bullcrap and they made it up .
Thanks man. Let me reiterate just in case you are misunderstanding since I find it absurd you can't follow the logic- take all 8 of your stock injectors, clean and flow test them, they are all going to be roughly the same with slight variance, maybe 20cc difference from lowest to highest. Then put the highest flowing of them in the spot most likely to be leanest. They all worked on the stock ecu before unless you are claiming changing the same injectors around different cylinders somehow means the stock ECU cannot use them anymore...

And no I would never do this as I already stated, I believe most issues are down to poor fuel pressure due to fuel filters or pumps. And yes I believe custom dyno tuning with correctly sized injectors and pumps is the best way to get ideal AFR's when you are pushing things to the limits.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:57 PM

Sl55 amg
Well said,all you see now threads about flames fart pops and tunes that make your car sound like *****
mhm sl has a flame map tho..
Old 03-10-2018, 11:58 PM

Sl55 amg
Originally Posted by tw2

while yes traction is the enemy, I have semi slicks on my car right now and I get 100% grip. No wheel spin. I plan on putting on either full slicks or drag radials if I drag it with nitrous tho.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:34 AM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by tw2
Thanks man. Let me reiterate just in case you are misunderstanding since I find it absurd you can't follow the logic- take all 8 of your stock injectors, clean and flow test them, they are all going to be roughly the same with slight variance, maybe 20cc difference from lowest to highest. Then put the highest flowing of them in the spot most likely to be leanest. They all worked on the stock ecu before unless you are claiming changing the same injectors around different cylinders somehow means the stock ECU cannot use them anymore...

And no I would never do this as I already stated, I believe most issues are down to poor fuel pressure due to fuel filters or pumps. And yes I believe custom dyno tuning with correctly sized injectors and pumps is the best way to get ideal AFR's when you are pushing things to the limits.

No ,logic is not there to follow .You can’t toss large injector in that cyclinder without a stand-alone and have proper afr !If you can’t understand this then not sure
Old 03-11-2018, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Only large enough to equalize it, so #8 has the same afr as the other 7 because it tends to run leaner. If you overcompensate then the point you are trying to make is true.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I was just trying to give the new guy a heads up so he didn't trash his motor right out of the gate. #8 has been the most common failure point over the years if you don't count valve cover gaskets.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG

Last edited by SICAMG; 03-11-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 AM

E55 amg
Many in this platform don’t understand how the fuel system works and keep doing the other person mistakes .Just cause you run larger pumps won’t solve your cylinder lean out too,there’s more to come to play
Old 03-11-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by tw2

No ,logic is not there to follow .You can’t toss large injector in that cyclinder without a stand-alone and have proper afr !If you can’t understand this then not sure
One slow you make it very clear that you don't read well in most of your posts, but if you read TW2s post very carefully, or have some one else read it for you, you will see that he is not recommending putting in one bigger injector. Yes, he mentioned some one may sell a set up for that at the beginning of this thread, but the comment he made that you quoted is simply recommending putting the highest flowing of the STOCK injectors in the number 8 spot. He typed it twice for you to help clear up your obvious confusion yet you keep going back to the larger injector thing.

Maybe download one of those programs on your computer that will read things out loud for you. You make comments and recommendation on every thread based off of either the inability to comprehend/read other peoples posts or reading 1/4 of topic and assuming you can correctly guess what the rest of it is.
The following users liked this post:
tw2 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
SL fuel system is different from E55
Old 03-11-2018, 01:33 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by David Haag
hey guys. So this is my first post up on MBWorld. So let me start off with an introduction. I have a 2004 Sl55 Amg. My current mods so far are straight pipe with X pipe and stock mufflers, and a ECU/TCU flash and grippy tires on the rears. My 1/8th is a 7.7 and my 1/4th is about 12.1 with high heat temps.
My goal is to make the car a drag strip car that can hit high tens.
I currently have my garage filled with parts so I can do one big install.
BWK
Colder spark plugs
630cc Injectors
Injector harness
Killer chiller
Trunk tank
Lowering links
Bosch IC pump
Needswings Cold Air intake with gold thermal coating
178mm ASP Crank Pulley

I am also planning on adding a 83mm clutched S/C pulley. Then my boost should be at around 15.8 pounds. In the boost chart that shows right in the dark green. I also plan on potentially adding meth down the road.
now you might be asking why am I posting this in the e55 forum when I have an Sl55. Because it’s engine related and I assumed you guys would have more knowledge basing that their are more e55 drag cars than Sl55.
I was thinking about adding a small 25 shot of nitrous. This would mainly be for the launch, id spray to get off the line a bit quicker till my s/c can engage.
Of course I’d get slicks or DR for the rears so I have traction. But any optinions on this? I know some members have used nitrous but I don’t know if it is a safe thing to do on these engines even if it is a small shot. Let me know! I appreciate all feedback!
I don't have any experience with the NOS but I can tell you that I am hard pressed for traction at the moment with bolt ons using slicks. If anything I would recomend a 50 shot NOT for the the launch, but for the extra 75hp/100ftlbs it will give you down the track as well as COOLING!

I have read lots about it, cnterline above can probably chime in more on that topic
Old 03-11-2018, 03:17 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by drothgeb
One slow you make it very clear that you don't read well in most of your posts, but if you read TW2s post very carefully, or have some one else read it for you, you will see that he is not recommending putting in one bigger injector. Yes, he mentioned some one may sell a set up for that at the beginning of this thread, but the comment he made that you quoted is simply recommending putting the highest flowing of the STOCK injectors in the number 8 spot. He typed it twice for you to help clear up your obvious confusion yet you keep going back to the larger injector thing.

Maybe download one of those programs on your computer that will read things out loud for you. You make comments and recommendation on every thread based off of either the inability to comprehend/read other peoples posts or reading 1/4 of topic and assuming you can correctly guess what the rest of it is.
Your a (mr.internet lawyer) ,centerline just said it lol..Your clown you can't add a larger injector without standalone in this car with it running correctly .You can't add one large with the rest stock and what you going to do scale on only??Love to see this on a stock ecu,.This forum I tell you are special people...Learn how this car works and report back on ecu ,injecotor and tables the ecu has to make the ecu work with it open loop.I dare to call e.c ask for jerry and ask him to tune larger 8 injector with the rest stock,you'll see how hard he laughs and hangs the phone up on you.These posts remind me of the 20 year back Honda days

Last edited by oneslow55; 03-11-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:22 PM

2005 E55
Your a (idiot mr.internet lawyer) ,centerline just said it lol..Your clown you can't add a larger injector without standalone in this car with it running correctly .You can't add one large with the rest stock and what you going to do scale on only??Love to see this on a stock ecu,.This forum I tell you are special people...Learn how this car works and report back on ecu ,injecotor and tables the ecu has to make the ecu work with it open loop.
Again, he was not referencing adding a different injector.

Again, you have failed to read/comprehend what was said.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by cnterline
SL fuel system is different from E55
Those that know the most seem to type the least, but it's always gold.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 55Kompressor