Sponsored by:

Service brake error.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Service brake error.

I have searched.... This issue is so confusing.

I am getting an intermittent "service brake" error. Maybe once a week. I have had it three times now. I only get the warning in white, not red. I do not get an esp light with it and my brake lights work normally when I have the error (probably not a brake switch). When I start the car back up it is gone. It is usually appearing mid drive and appears to have no rhyme or reason when it appears.

From reading in some places there is a brake wear message. Is this correct? I see diagnoses for this issue as check pad wear and the sensor but it seems to be a different warning light. My pads are new and am unsure about the sensors, however if the sensors had issue wouldn't I see a "brake wear" message?

I know I should go have a shop run STAR on it to properly diagnose it. I don't want to pay close to 200 after tax to find out just now if I don't have to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500
I'd get a scanner such as the icarsoft MBII or Foxwell NT624 and pull the SBC codes
Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Without a displayed error, will I be able to see what caused it? Are those errors stored the same as Cel codes?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 C350e hybrid
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
Without a displayed error, will I be able to see what caused it? Are those errors stored the same as Cel codes?
Yes, the fault code will be stored in the SBC control unit for quite a while. You need to check the codes. It could be several things, but the most likely is probably the brake light switch. When they start failing, they're often very intermittent, so it would only happen once in a while and the switch would most likely be working fine when you check the brake lights.