E55 Power Steering Reservoir Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
E55 Power Steering Reservoir Seal Leak

Hi all,

When I was last underneath the E55, I found a leak coming from what looked like the power steering pump. Upon further investigation, I think it might actually be the seal that is between the reservoir and pump itself. I've heard about this happening on some other Benzes before, but couldn't find anything for the W211. Has anyone had this leak before? If so, could you point me in the direction of a DIY or provide some kind of step-by-step procedure? Thanks in advance!

~Tom
Old 03-25-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
'03 Brabus E55 K8, '11 C300 4matic
Really easy. The dealer has the 3 dollar O ring and the reservoir is 40 bucks. I went ahead and replaced both. Get the intake snorkel outta the way, and remove the 2 fasteners that locate the reservoir. I can't remember if they are 10mm bolts or star heads. Use a turkey baster or equvalent to empty the reservoir. Wiggle the reservoir out by pushing it toward the firewall and convince it to come on outta there, replace the Oring (or the whole assy), bolt it back up, add (mercedes specific, but along with Oring) pwrsteer fluid. Reinstall snorkel, done. Oh and use a shop rag to catch the fluid you didn't get outta there before removing it.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by s.i.f.i.
Really easy. The dealer has the 3 dollar O ring and the reservoir is 40 bucks. I went ahead and replaced both. Get the intake snorkel outta the way, and remove the 2 fasteners that locate the reservoir. I can't remember if they are 10mm bolts or star heads. Use a turkey baster or equvalent to empty the reservoir. Wiggle the reservoir out by pushing it toward the firewall and convince it to come on outta there, replace the Oring (or the whole assy), bolt it back up, add (mercedes specific, but along with Oring) pwrsteer fluid. Reinstall snorkel, done. Oh and use a shop rag to catch the fluid you didn't get outta there before removing it.
Thank you s.i.f.i!!!!