Sponsored by:

2006 E55. ABS light on, ESP & ABS malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG, 2013 Porsche Carrera S, 2008 Leuxs IS350
2006 E55. ABS light on, ESP & ABS malfunction

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am wondering if you scholars and noblemen can help me with my E55...

I was driving to work and all of a sudden the car starts lighting up everything on the dash (similar to when a car starts up), the speedo drops to 0 and up to 40mph a few times, and the transmission doesn't shift for a while (probably a thousand feet) and it goes back to normal with ABS, ESC malfunction showing, ABS light on the dash, and heavy steering. I drive the car back home after work with the same symptoms and it sits for a week or so before I can attempt to figure out what is wrong/fix it.

A week or so later, I run my diagnostic tool (Autel Maxisys MS906) on the vehicle and the fault code points to a front left wheel sensor. I look up how to change it, seems pretty easy, and order the part (a Febi Bilstein). Another week passes and in the meantime I have had to take the car out a few times and a new message has now popped up with the ABS, ESC malfunction: adaptive head lighting something unavailable (I'm going to guess that it is probably due to the ABS speed sensor.)

So last night, I changed the front left ABS sensor using this
and it was pretty easy, but I must have done something wrong as the problem is still not fixed. I have cleared the codes but the issue remains, and the diag tool is still throwing me the same codes.

Today, I lifted the car again to make sure the connection to the steering knuckle was good. As this is the first time I am using my diag tool, I decided to take the car out and see the live data (which I will attach below) and it definitely is still the front left ABS speed sensor issue but I noticed a weird number with the "Steering Angle Sensor." Like I previously mentioned, this is my first time using this diag tool so I am not sure if this would be a separate issue or would be related....I'm starting to believe it is...On the live data, it does change when I move the wheel, however it the range is wayyyy off.

Also, I am not sure if this is related but the first time I had my car on jacks /lifted the car, a few minutes after the car was on the stands, water started coming out from a drain hole on the front right bottom on the car...(which scared the **** out of me). Still the same thing, so I took the car to the dealer, and they tell me it is due to the aftermarket sensor...which I think is total BS...I take the car back, $150 dollars lighter...I have done some research and searching, and some threads point toward: reluctor ring, wheel bearing, or the ESP module......

This is where I am stuck at ATM. My next move will probably be to take out the front right ABS sensor and stick it back in to see if I did everything correctly on the left side and to check the harness. Any ideas, comments, tips, anything would be helpful. I have also sent back the Autel scanner and currently waiting for one of those Chinese clones to come...

Attached are pictures from my diag.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 C350e hybrid
The wheel speed being 0 is actually a good thing because you have a current problem that can be tested/diagnosed (rather than an intermittent issue which can be very tricky as every test will pass). Start by checking the resistance of the wheel speed sensor and wiring (measure between both pins at the SBC unit; I believe it is pin 17 and 18). You can compare it to the right front (pins 14 and 15) and the value should be similar (although not necessarily exactly the same). If you have much higher (or infinite) resistance, first check the sensor itself, then move on and check each individual wire from the sensor to the SBC unit. If the resistance is normal, then you're more likely looking at an issue with the hub or pickup ring. In many cases (but not necessarily all--not sure if this applies to your car) you can swap the front wheel speed sensors side to side (if the problem moves with the sensor, the sensor is the problem; if it stays on the same side, it's something else).
The following users liked this post:
carrotware (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the insight sjc. Last night, I put the original sensor that I replaced on the multimeter and the resistance read 3.98 ohms and 5 something when I reverse the probes. Pretty sure that is in the wrong range so faulty sensor seems more likely now.

I will definitely switch out front sensors and check the resistance on the SBC. Will post back on Sunday when I can wrench on the car.

Any thoughts on the steering angle??
Old 04-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Compare that resistance to that of the other sensor to see if it's normal (I don't know the spec off hand; the sensors on newer MBs are more like 20 mega ohms but I think the 211 has the older style inductive sensors which will be different). Make sure your meter is set on the correct range (for some reason meters have trouble auto ranging with speed sensors, for example, that 20 Mohm sensor will sometimes show up as 300 kilo ohms if the meter is set to auto range).

To clarify: measuring at the SBC unit is just to measure both wires and the sensor in one shot (you're still measuring the sensor not the internal resistance of the SBC unit).

Regarding the steering angle... Was your wheel straight ahead at the time or turned?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Gotcha. I will check the SBC resistance when I get home after work.

So with the steering angle.....when the steering wheel is leveled (meaning the wheels are straight) the SAS reads 0 on the live data. In the picture, the wheel is turned to the left which gives a big negative number. If I remember correctly, doing a sharp turn, changes the value of the SAS to close to -300 to 300 depending on which direction I turn.

Would the correct procedure be to figure out the sensor issue first, see if it is corrected, then tackle the SAS? or could the SAS throw the ABS sensor off?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by carrotware
Gotcha. I will check the SBC resistance when I get home after work.
NOT the SBC resistance. That's meaningless. Check the sensors and wires. If you plug the sensor in and measure at the SBC connector (wire harness) you are measuring the sensor and wires together. Compare that to the right side (they should be similar).

So with the steering angle.....when the steering wheel is leveled (meaning the wheels are straight) the SAS reads 0 on the live data. In the picture, the wheel is turned to the left which gives a big negative number. If I remember correctly, doing a sharp turn, changes the value of the SAS to close to -300 to 300 depending on which direction I turn.

Would the correct procedure be to figure out the sensor issue first, see if it is corrected, then tackle the SAS? or could the SAS throw the ABS sensor off?
The steering angle is the actual steering angle. Straight ahead is 0 and turning either way should be + or - from 0. Sounds like yours is normal.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:34 PM

Sorry, that's what I meant by checking the SBC (the harness & sensor). I'll check back in tonight after I get a chance to check the resistance.

The only reason that I mentioned the SAS being off is because the scanner I used has the range for the values at -2.5 through +2.5. Thought something was off. I guess I am chalking that up to scanner software issue. Got a STAR clone on the way though!

Thanks again brother.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Thank you for the last thread. I pushed the seals in as far as they would good. Looks like I need to get new seals and do it over again. Who would have thought. Wonder what MB seals cost?
Old 06-25-2019, 08:31 PM

@joebudd

Hey brother sounds like it was the seals, if you continue to have issues, let me know.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Well not sure it was the seals. I ordered 2 new MB seals and will install next Tuesday. I will also make sure they will be flush with the hub. Not drive them as far as they will go.

Last edited by joebudd; 06-26-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:49 PM

06 Cls 500
Sorry, that's what I meant by checking the SBC (the harness & sensor). I'll check back in tonight after I get a chance to check the resistance.

The only reason that I mentioned the SAS being off is because the scanner I used has the range for the values at -2.5 through +2.5. Thought something was off. I guess I am chalking that up to scanner software issue. Got a STAR clone on the way though!

Thanks again brother.
Did u ever fix the problem?