No Acceleration on full throttle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
No Acceleration on full throttle

Hi all,

I have a 2004 W211 E55 AMG and just recently when you fully engage the accelerator nothing happens. The car will drive normally on gentle acceleration even up to speeds of 180 KPH, however as soon as you give it any hard throttle nothing happens and it starts to decelerate.
After this hard throttle and I lift off the gas the car will jolt as if about to engage full throttle then return to the normal slow acceleration.

I did take it to an approved dealer who did offer a suggestion to the problem but I would like to hear your opinions on the problem before I divulge this information.

I have very little faith in garages in this country (UAE) and even the MB dealership couldn't fix my coolant leak at huge costs.

Anyone have any Ideas on what this could be?
Old 04-29-2018, 04:14 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
What is the status of your intercooler pump? STAR scan?
Old 04-29-2018, 06:01 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Unfortunately I don't have Access to Scan at the moment. I have ordered the OBD Bluetooth connector and scanner but it may take some time to get here.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w 211 e55amg
Check your fuel pressure first.I have same problem last summer and the reason was bad fuel pumps.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:47 AM

2004 E55 AMG
I was hoping it wasn't the pumps as i just had them replaced a few months back after getting bad fuel smell inside the car. but will double check.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Could be the sensor in the gas pedal. A proper scan should tell you that though.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:08 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Thanks all. Will get back to yous once i have the scan done. Just picked up new plugs for it tonight and a new SC pulley arrived too seems like a good time to get all this done.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 977 Likes on 760 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ewarwoowar
I was hoping it wasn't the pumps as i just had them replaced a few months back after getting bad fuel smell inside the car. but will double check.
Check that the adapter cable was installed. I am aware of three instances where it was not and it results in a lean condition at high loads/rpms with the same symptoms you describe.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ify-parts.html
Old 04-30-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 CLK 430 w/5.4 swap, 2000 CLK430
Check the TCU for signs of oil. The trans plug fails and oil goes up the wires, gets in the TCU, and creates weird symptoms. The plug failed on both my CLK430 and my E55. On the CLK replacing the TCU fixed the acceleration issue. On the E55 I replaced the conductor plate and the issue (discussed below) was gone.

My symptom on the E55 was that it would accelerate at WOT and refuse to go beyond 5000 rpms. On the CLK the symptom was refusal to accelerate except under gentle throttle.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:08 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Lots of interesting ideas and none of them anywhere near what my local supposed trusted Mercedes approved garage suggested. As I stated in my original post they told me they had a solution and it was was my super charger pulley that wasn't engaging and that I needed a new one.They offered to replace it for a princely sum of just 10,000 AED (approx 2000 GBP). After looking into it a bit more I found that I could replace it with a new part myself for just 250 GBP, so I decided to take matters into my own hands.
Its been on for 2 days now (fully calibrated to approx .38 mm and still monitoring it for stretch in the spring) but this has made no difference to my problem, so I'm glad that none of you have brought this up as being a possible issue.
For me this has reinforced that in this country its next to impossible to get a garage that is capable or trustworthy enough for me to take my car to anymore and any that when I did find one capable enough, they up ended doing more damage to the car then when I first took it in.
Since I came to this conclusion I have replaced Struts, plugs, Brakes, SC Pulley and Belts to name but a few with a total saving of around 2000 GBP. Down side to all this is that its now getting into the mid 40's here in the UAE and i don't have a garage so working on cars can get a little hot and sticky
Looking forward to getting my scanner so I can take matters into my own hands further. I purchased 2 units, The BAFX Bluetooth unit for a handy one to keep in the car and the iCarsoft I980 for working at home so will hopefully be able to give you guys better stats shortly.
Thanks for all the suggestions to date.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:43 AM

2004 E55 AMG
HI all sorry for the late reply and updates, been a bit busy with other maintenance jobs on my E55. Just replaced the rear air-springs, thank heavens for Arnotts.
Anyway got my icarsoft fault scanner and while it brought up multiple messages I believe that i have possibly found the faults to answer my problem.

The following codes were found:
P2016 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Bank 1
P2085 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent Bank 1 Sensor 2.

Now while the latter of the 2 does not necessarily have symptoms of my condition P2016 certainly does. I found the following article describing the code - https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-jay-safford
One of the main symptons described in the article is as follows: The engine may have low power conditions or acceleration issues, depending on ECM failure management mode for this code.

So my next question is does anyone know where this is located on the E55?

I downloaded and installed WIS today however while I'm sure that it is invaluable I am still in the learning stages and finding it quite cumbersome.