Polyurethane engine and trans mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 01:07 PM
SPONSOR

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts
AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
Originally Posted by mrkevinhoang
Took it out this morning for some hard pulls. All is good! After resetting the poly bushing the shifter doesnt move at all. Pulls hard, shifts hard, and no jerks.

I may do the tranny fluid again, maybe after 10k miles. I can really smell the clutch materials in the fluid when the car jerks in and out of D so violently.

Here's what I learned:
symptoms:
Hard jerking when accelerating med-hard.
Hard jerking / lurching when accelerating from a med-steep hill
Shift lever creeps towards the front of the car when accelerating
shift lever creeps towards the rear of the car when braking.

Cause:
Engine and transmission is jerking, pushing on the shift-rod, pushing the gear selector briefly from D to N.
This is caused by any of the following:
1. engine transmission bushings bad
2. rear sub frame mount torn or badly worn
3. shfiter rod needs to be adjusted. (maybe you installed a new shifter unit like i did )

Fix:
For me, I did the engine trans mounts less than a year ago. I inspected the subframe mounts and they are all tight. I adjusted the shift rod under the car, on top of the drive shaft. I made it shorter, which angles the shift selector more towards the rear of the car. This helped a little bit, but during really hard acceleration, it still failed.
I inspected the trans bushing again and found that the bolts have worked themselves loose. The new mount I installed also had a small tear in it.
I purchased the poly mounts from Creative steel. I installed them incorrectly. I torqued them down with the engine still supported. This caused them to be installed under stress when lowered. When I took it for test drive the problem was worse somehow.

Then I double checked the poly mounts, It was torqued in, but twisted a bit, putting them under stress. I loosened and retorqued the transmission poly mounts AND re-adjusted the shift rod under the car. I made it as short as possible, without binding. I took it out for some hard pulls, and the shift lever does not move at all.
Glad to see that you got everything sorted out.