Sponsored by:

Finally Got me an E55!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Finally Got me an E55!

Hi everyone! My name is Neal...I've had my eye on owning an E55 for several years now. The car I had previously was the main reason I had to own an E55. I had a Crossfire SRT6 with the supercharged V6 which is the same as the SLK32. Knowing how well the V6 ran, I wanted two more cylinders. And I'm loving my new (old) 2005 car. I used to be on the MB forums as Mimi05SRT6. Just bought the car today with only 88000 miles on her. The first thing I want to do is get the Eurocharged SC Pulley and their ECU/TCU Performance software. That's what I had on my SRT6 and the power increase was amazing. With it and my own DIY Cold Air intake, I ran a best of 11.74 @ 116.7 at Orlando SpeedWorld. So I am so ready to increase the power in my new ride. I see they sell and upgrated TB also, is it worth it? Thanks and looking forward to meeting others with the same car.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Congratulations. Have a read up on the common maintenance. I had a C32 before but the E cars have a whole lot of things that are good to do preventative before getting into mods. I am sure everyone is sick of me giving an opinion on throttle body upgrades but I would suggest have a good read of the forums before deciding, many have experienced issues they cannot solve or undo (even back to stock), of course many have had good experiences as well. I would look at all of your pulleys, belts, filters, read up about the fuel system, all fluids, grab a spare voltage regulator and CPS.
New thread already- links in post 3
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...1-2-2-3-a.html
Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
first off, congrats. But second off, I always like to ensure everything is working right/up to maintenance needs before adding more stress to the car/drivetrain via mods. My suggestion on these E55's? ensure control arm bushings are fine/no cracks (At this age, you usually will have some excess play if the control arms are still original), ensure the water pump isnt seeping/weeping at all, and that all pulleys spin freely have no play. The IC pump. Original? Sure it's still fully functional? (often they go around this time). Rest of engine cooling system 100%? Zero leaks in the airmatic? Tires in excellent shape? No inside edge wear on those fronts? Also, even with michelin pilot sport summer tires, getting power to the ground is a struggle in these cars with the high torque. So great tires are a must. (On a separate note, at 4.1 seconds, these cars still quite quick even compared to current competition)

Also, based on my experience, the second you do any mod beyond just a tune? You will want to address intake air temps. I personally would do the better IC pump and bigger heat exchanger before even thinking about a pulley (especially since you live on the east coast, which is sweltering right about now).
Old 07-11-2018, 04:31 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Thanks guys. Yes, same precautions as my SRT6 AMG car. I'm looking into buying the replacement high flow air filters kit from ECS tuning. Basically keeping the stock setup but opens up the inlets for better flow. Keeps it stock looking too. UPD M113K Cold Air Induction Kit. Anyone using this setup? Thanks.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ultimate-performance-and-design--parts/upd-m113k-cold-air-induction-kit/mbm113kcabk~upd/

Last edited by Mimi05E55; 07-11-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Added website for part
Old 07-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
There is a lot of mixed feedback around about intake modifications. Most folks seem to be saying no gains are had over the stock set up, maybe even loose some going to aftermarket.

Cooling, 77mm, tune, headers are my starting recommendation 👍
Old 07-11-2018, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 722 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mimi05E55
Thanks guys. Yes, same precautions as my SRT6 AMG car. I'm looking into buying the replacement high flow air filters kit from ECS tuning. Basically keeping the stock setup but opens up the inlets for better flow. Keeps it stock looking too. UPD M113K Cold Air Induction Kit. Anyone using this setup? Thanks.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ultimate...m113kcabk~upd/
Yes. Be advised this raises the air box so the rubber Y-pipe to the throttle body is a bit harder to engage. Plus on my kit the metal spacers were a couple of millimeters too long so I only used the longer screws while being careful to not overtighten them.

Since I have never dyno'd my car I have no idea if it makes a difference or not....but I like to think it does.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by drothgeb
There is a lot of mixed feedback around about intake modifications. Most folks seem to be saying no gains are had over the stock set up, maybe even loose some going to aftermarket.

Cooling, 77mm, tune, headers are my starting recommendation 👍
Thanks for that input. I believe good gains are had since I proved it with my srt6 which is basically the same engine but with two less cylinders. I created my own direct cold air intake and with a pulley and dyno tune ran a 11.7 @116.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:29 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
The y pipe is a huge restriction on the M112k. The M113 doesn't have that issue and intake modifications are generally unrewarding or can in rare cases make things worse. I found the y pipe upgrade on the c32 made a noticeable difference while changing the rest of the intake did not. I would save the the money and just buy new oem Mann filters and be done with it.