Sponsored by:

Wavetrac LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:54 AM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Wavetrac LSD

So, finally got my Wavetrac in today. Immediate notes (it was fair weather then raining today so I got a bit of both)
  1. Traction in a straight line - No wallowing side to side as the car puts power to one wheel then the next. This includes when traction is lost and when traction is maintained. In the wet the car seems a lot less prone to step sideways, but will do a burnout in a straight line,.
  2. Around corners at low speed - So when turning at an intersection, I get a slight tug on the inside wheel when turning at low speeds. Nothing alarming just a feeling that you note but it doesn't affect the cars cornering.
  3. Car Sound - Car actually sounds different because it maintains load a lot better, the car isn't losing traction as easily and freely torquing as much.
  4. Traction control on vs off - I can accelerate like 80% harder with the ESP on now without traction control kicking in. Traction control still kicks in (ESP ON) when I pull out of a driveway and try to power off, but to a far lesser degree.
  5. Over bumps - I noticed that if Im accelerating over bumps in the wet with ESP on the car car step out quite aggressively, traction control obviously sorts it but I haven't had a chance to test the limits in such situations or when intentionally power sliding/drifting.
  6. Gear shifting - Now, one of my main hopes with the LSD was that it would eliminate the issue I had from tuned stock which got REALLY bad when I had my 77 put in. In the top of 1st gear, when the car switches into 2nd I would have a hesitation, of varying degrees, that would feel like I was almost headbutting the steering wheel from the sudden loss of power. The car would change gear and sometimes it would come on quick, sometimes a little longer, but the power would just come back on strong! Now, initially I thought I was bouncing the rev limiter, Jerry gave me a tune with a higher rev limiter. I tried switching tuned vs untuned TCU, none of this worked. I thought I might be hitting the rev limiter because it'd happen more often with loss of traction. But what I did notice was that the car would shift quick and hard if I preemptively managed the *** pulling out to the side by counter steering a little in a straight line. This led me to believe it was traction control related, and that the car disliked performing a hard gear change with the rear wheels spinning at different speeds outside a certain tolerance. Well, turns out I was RIGHT and now I get hard, powerful shifts 1st-2nd every time!
Anyway, I'm off to the race track tomorrow for some casual circuit lapping, when I was there last apart from boiling my fluid I was getting a lot of understeer that I couldn't correct by giving the car more power, it'd just sled more, not oversteer? I thought wtf, isn't this a rear wheel drive car? Anyway with the LSD I hope to be able to force oversteer from mid corner. I'll let you know how it goes!

Last edited by PieRat; 08-17-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:08 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Sounds awesome, like the car should have come! Glad it improved everything.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
2006 E55, Various other German and ‘Murican
They have been out of stock for a while but waiting to get mine in.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
glad it worked out sounds like fun...
Old 08-18-2018, 12:16 AM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Melted my EBC yellowstuff and one of the pads fell off the front. They were barely worn but i guess the heat 2as too much..looks like im going to be buying big brake kit. Car was much improved from lsd in all areas.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:30 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Had my first shakedown today with the same unit. I was surprised how eager the car was to step sideways (this is a very good thing for me), even coming from a welded diff. I'm excited to test it at an event.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
2006 E55, Various other German and ‘Murican
Well, it should be improving the traction. I would hope with good rubber it would hook BETTER.,