W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$11,000 bill from my dealership for repairs on my E63! Need your help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 E63
$11,000 bill from my dealership for repairs on my E63! Need your help!

Hi All!

Well I took my car a 2007 E63 into Fletcher Jones Newport Beach over a year ago due to the loud rattle on start up, they said they couldn't hear or find it.
Some time passed and the noise was getting worse so I took it to an independent shop and they're certain it's the service bulletin concerning the camshaft adjusters.
I took the car back to the dealership and supplied them with the new information I received and after 2 days with their tech, they agree it's the camshaft adjusters that's mentioned in the service bulletin.
The current estimate is $10,046.75 before taxes to remedy the problem.

I've owned the car for 4 years now, I purchased it with about 40k miles on it and it currently has about 70k miles on the odometer. I don't beat on my car at all and I do my best to keep her in tip top shape.

I cannot afford to pay what they're asking, about 6 months ago I paid $4k to have a bunch of work done on her(engine out due to the oil leak at the rear main seal) and recently my front air suspension crapped out too! There went another $1600. When it rains it POURS!

Any suggestions on how I should approach this daunting repair bill with Mercedes? I've attached the quote and invoice below for reference.

Appreciate any advise Y'all can provide.

Thank You

Old 07-23-2018, 10:51 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Find a good independent shop and get a couple more estimates. If you can DIY it isn't straightforward but you can do it with a couple of service tools, WIS and common sense but it definitely isn't for anyone to attempt. Do headbolts too if they are original.

You should be beating on your car more! That's why you have 6.2L.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 E63, 1984 500SEL AMG, 1984 500SEC AMG Widebody
Just replacing tappets for $10.6k? My recently acquired 09 E63 had headbolts, tappets, head and Intake Manifold gaskets done at a dealer and the total bill was around $10k. For that work, the heads had to come off. The heads don't have to come off just to do the tappets. Just pinged my local Atlanta indy shop owner and he says he charges $8k for just tappets (uses Black Series M159 tappets). Lots of labor hours. Sorry you are having these issues.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
when you first complained, was the car under warranty then? If so, the dealer should cover the repair under warranty. If they refuse, contact Benz corporate. If they refuse, file civil suit. If it wasnt under warranty, go with advice above and get estimates from a local independent. If you are really savvy, you'll quietly approach one of the independent shops mechanics, and ask him how much to do it himself on the side...that has worked for me in the past (other cars) and I've ended up saving a ton. Separate note: your issues are why I never go with first model year of a brand new engine design, and why I always go with very last year. (I have a 2006 e55)
Old 07-24-2018, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by lseguy
Separate note: your issues are why I never go with first model year of a brand new engine design, and why I always go with very last year. (I have a 2006 e55)
They didn't sort out some of the issues with the M156 until years after they quit making the W211.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Do an engine flush and add ceratec.

Your car is probably just plugged up because you drive it like a grandpa.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...s-lifters.html

just buy this, run it, drain the oil, fill 5 liters of Liqui Moly 5w40 Molygen, and add the 2 bottles of ceratec, then finish filling up your oil.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/8-c...i-moly-lmk0005

Oil to use:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-liqui_mo...0aAnC8EALw_wcB

Oil change kit if you don't wanna use molygen (i'd use it because it helps quiet things down with the molybdenum)
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...1802609-9l-amg

Oil filters:https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...-mann-hu718-5x

Old 07-25-2018, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Definitely do headbolts while you're in there. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate, and if the pricing isn't realistic, then find another shop. That's an obscene bill! Do you have a relationship with your Service Advisor Tony? Make him go to bat for you!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:50 PM

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
I am got a quote today for the head bolt upgrade work that will run $2,500 estimated; $1,800 without the 32 cam followers (lifters) which are recommended to be replace as part of the operation. I thought that was a high cost. Sorry to hear man
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Rovel
I am got a quote today for the head bolt upgrade work that will run $2,500 estimated; $1,800 without the 32 cam followers (lifters) which are recommended to be replace as part of the operation. I thought that was a high cost. Sorry to hear man
That sounds much more reasonable especially if they take the heads off.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:27 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by tw2
That sounds much more reasonable especially if they take the heads off.
no, they won’t take the head off. One at a time. Hope that is not risky considering the age of the car
Old 07-25-2018, 08:55 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Rovel

no, they won’t take the head off. One at a time. Hope that is not risky considering the age of the car
Should be fine unless there is a lot of corrosion. I would get a quote for plan B as well and by that I mean taking the heads off if there is a broken bolt and plan C which is a broken bolt where the heads can't be removed with the engine in the car due to lack of room.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
I have a 07' E63 that I bought back in Dec. 2017 and it's been in my garage up on stands ever since due to its having an "idle" reving at 1200rpm. I ended up buying a STAR system computer first, as you can't even do suspension work without it. The Intake Manifold was trashed flooded with oil, so I had the reman'd by RMT in Pompano, Fl. By the time I went to retrieve it, I had already discovered that my front AirSpring Struts were mismatched. One was OEM and leaking and the other was an Arnott, so I took the both off and brought them to RMT to get their reman'd Air Struts. Great deal! I installed F1 Fabrication Upper Control Arms to correct for Camber. I dug in further to find that my passenger side camshaft adjusters were installed incorrectly! Unbelievably, someone had taken them apart and removed the center section that rotates back and forth depending on oil pressure and installed it upside down??? This caused the inner race of the adjuster which would normally connect to the end of the camshaft with diamond washer between them tightened by the Cam Bolt to be deeper than it should be. In effect, this caused the Bolt to essentially sandwich the outer ring of the adjuster up against the timing alignment prongs on the camshaft while being "supported" by the Cam Drive Gear below instead of the end of the camshaft being flush with the inner face of the Cam Adjuster!!! After thorough inspection, I discovered that because of this the inner wall of the Cam Adjusters had a ring gouge created from the end of the camshaft due to the cam adjuster spinning/wobbling. Amazingly, there was no evident damage to the teeth of the adjuster nor the Drive gear! That certainly explained why the Cam Timing was way off when I first removed that valve covers! As such, I bit the bullet and went ahead in removing both Heads to be rebuilt by Extreme Heads in Palm City,Fl. They informed me that 8 of 16 Valves were bent!

While they were at it, I proceeded to replace the front torque Arms and installed Racing Brake Rotors/pads. While doing this, I flushed out the brake fluid. Because there appeared to be a leak in the Power Steering High Pressure Hose, I took that out to be be rebuilt and installed a new P/S Pump and Reservior.

When I got the Heads back, I went ahead and installed the newer SLS Valve Tappets. It's all back together again with New Headbolts, so THAT issue hopefully doesn't rear its ugly Head! I also installed new spark plugs, two new igniters, air filters all around. I also had my front Hood and bumper repainted due to a huge smiley face gouge running from mirror to mirror in front of the front emblem. While they were at it I opted to have all 4 wheels refinished. All that's left is to put air via Star back in the front Struts, lower onto ramps and tighten the front suspension. And the have STAR do a Timing Adaptation run and I'll be all smiles!!

Last edited by E63007; 08-14-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Wow, that was an extreme undertaking.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
can't really tell you much other than...
  1. don't do work at the dealer unless you are under warranty or have the money to pay top dollar for repairs
  2. find a TRUSTWORTHY independent shop to do work

a rough estimate for you for parts and labor as work i've completed on my own car. buy the parts yourself online for the best pricing
parts and labor:
  • headstuds, buckets, gaskets, valve covers, oil cooler o-ring, oil cooler hardline o-rings - around $4200-5000
  • transmission conductor plate and fluids - $1200-1500
so total of these on the high end of things if you purchase the parts yourself total to $6500 for parts and labor if you had to do both of these. to access the rear main steal dropping the transmission is much easier than removing the engine in most cases. i haven't done the work myself so i could tell you how much work either is.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-14-2018, 12:23 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by E63007
I have a 07' E63 that I bought back in Dec. 2017 and it's been in my garage up on stands ever since due to its having an "idle" reving at 1200rpm. I ended up buying a STAR system computer first, as you can't even do suspension work without it. The Intake Manifold was trashed flooded with oil, so I had the reman'd by RMT in Pompano, Fl. By the time I went to retrieve it, I had already discovered that my front AirSpring Struts were mismatched. One was OEM and leaking and the other was an Arnott, so I took the both off and brought them to RMT to get their reman'd Air Struts. Great deal! I installed F1 Fabrication Upper Control Arms to correct for Camber. I dug in further to find that my passenger side camshaft adjusters were installed incorrectly! Unbelievably, someone had taken them apart and removed the center section that rotates back and forth depending on oil pressure and installed it upside down??? This caused the inner race of the adjuster which would normally connect to the end of the camshaft with diamond washer between them tightened by the Cam Bolt to be deeper than it should be. In effect, this caused the Bolt to essentially sandwich the outer ring of the adjuster up against the timing alignment prongs on the camshaft while being "supported" by the Cam Drive Gear below instead of the end of the camshaft being flush with the inner face of the Cam Adjuster!!! After thorough inspection, I discovered that because of this the inner wall of the Cam Adjusters had a ring gouge created from the end of the camshaft due to the cam adjuster spinning/wobbling. Amazingly, there was no evident damage to the teeth of the adjuster nor the Drive gear! That certainly explained why the Cam Timing was way off when I first removed that valve covers! As such, I bit the bullet and went ahead in removing both Heads to be rebuilt by Extreme Heads in Palm City,Fl. They informed me that 8 of 16 Valves were bent!

While they were at it, I proceeded to replace the front torque Arms and installed Racing Brake Rotors/pads. While doing this, I flushed out the brake fluid. Because there appeared to be a leak in the Power Steering High Pressure Hose, I took that out to be be rebuilt and installed a new P/S Pump and Reservior.

When I got the Heads back, I went ahead and installed the newer SLS Valve Tappets. It's all back together again with New Headbolts, so THAT issue hopefully doesn't rear its ugly Head! I also installed new spark plugs, two new igniters, air filters all around. I also had my front Hood and bumper repainted due to a huge smiley face gouge running from mirror to mirror in front of the front emblem. While they were at it I opted to have all 4 wheels refinished. All that's left is to put air via Star back in the front Struts, lower onto ramps and tighten the front suspension. And the have STAR do a Timing Adaptation run and I'll be all smiles!!
WOW, a lot of work done, man! I am still on the fence as to whether I should spend $2500 to replace the head bolts or drive and hope for the best. The more I read the more I am leaning towards taking the chance as not that many E63s are affected (theoretically.) Planning on spark plug replacement DIY soon.

Can you elaborate more on the "Upper Control Arms to correct for Camber" statement? Each time I take my car for alignment they say that they can't get the front right into specs. They don't know for sure, but guess that control arm might be bent. They also suggest I don't chase it as it can get expensive. I asked if it was a safety issue or not, they said it wasn't.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
Hello there,

I bought my Upper Control Arms from F1 Fabrication directly, not on eBay where they also have a presence. To do this correctly, you need the STAR/DAS programming to relieve the pressure as well to inflate the Air Struts before removing. You have to remove the front Struts in order access and remove the bolts which secure both arms of each control arm. This means unfastening the valve damping wiring down below as well as the up top and removing the air hose up top as well. I ended up buying the thinnest 10mm wrench I could find and then, fortunate for me, had a stereo installed I know grind a channel wide enough for the hose to fit between. Upon reinstall, a new O-ring is recommended.

Then an you have to unbolt the bottom of the Strut. These are tightened to a jaw dropping 160Nm, so you'll definitely need new bolts as you'll unstrip the threads most likely wrenching the nut off the first few turns. If your just off the floor, like I was, you'll need a beefy 1/2" Wratchet ( I used DeWalt ) but then you need an extension to give you leverage to undo the Bolt. Find some sturdy tube that's about 2 feet long as you'll completely cover the length of the wratchet handle.

As for the upper three nuts securing the top, I believe they're tightened to only 8-10nm (IIRC), so it's time to loosen those, but don't take them off yet as you'll need to free the bottom of the Strut from the air Spring Arm which it straddles. With the Air released from the AirSpring Strut, its possible to get the Strut off the lower control Arm by using a crowbar. By placing it between the bottom of the Strut and the Control Arm and making an effort at prying it in there, your essentially squeezing the air in the Strut enough to clear the Control Arm. Once done, then you hold the Strut with one hand and with other lossen the already loosened nuts up top. You'll want to clear the Strut towards the front in order to clear the brake lines.

Now it's time to remove the Upper Control Arm. First thing you'll do is a breaker to bust apart the ball Joint of the CA from the Steering Swivel. Then you just remove the bolts securing it and swap in the F1 CA and your halfway done! But alas...removing those Upper CA bolts are tricky but even more so after installing the F1 CA's. It's not a one person job here because even though removing them is fairly easy (be sure to use tape or something on the end of your wrench being extra careful to not lose the nut below somewhere) you'll be scratching your head trying to figure out how to install the bolts of each side afterwards! So after you place the F1 Arms in position (be sure to Lube them up properly first!) you'll need someone with small hands (think lady friend or perhaps child here!) because having someone hold the nut in those fender wells is essential as you drive the Bolt through turning it while you do so to engage the stationary Nut being held by your buddy. There's a lot going on in those fender wells, see for yourself. I certainly couldn't fit my hands in there around that nut. Even if I could, I would need somebody to drive the Bolt through, so bear this in mind.

Another note-as much as you think you can calculate beforehand just how many turns you'll need to extend the Adjustable F1 CA's in order to get your perfect Camber Alignment, guess again. Inevitably you'll need to have it done right at a shop, unless your proficient with alignment yourself and willing to jack up the car, remove the wheel in order to access the Upper ball Joint that inevitably will have to be removed more than once in order to dial in just the right Camber measured only when the wheels are weighted on the ground, with an alignment machine and a full lift with the ability to remove the wheel while it's lifted in order to get it dialed in just right. Moreover, they'll be able to do properly torque the suspension down while the car is in the air.

Last edited by E63007; 08-22-2018 at 07:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shadymilkman (10-13-2021)