W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a modded e55?

Old 08-24-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Dakota, Saturn sl1
Would you buy a modded e55?

Been looking at a few 55's around me. Most have crossed the century mark in miles and a few have the Mercedes dealer service history up until about a year ago.

A few have bolt one around me and a tune, eurocharged and race iq. They have gotten up there in miles and the bolt one were added after the service history went cold. I plan on taking them to an mb dealer to do the PPI that consisted of

Star scan
inspection
Brakes
Shocks and suspension (almost all have been switched to coil overs)
look for leaks or rust ubderneunderneathtech said the computer can see a low compression cylinder but a compression check is better but costs a lot more. One of the cars threw a cel but the owner said its due to the catless exhaust.

I've tried to get a hold of raceiq to see if they can tell me anymore info on one of the cars. But cheers though, been looking for a car that fits me and I think I found it.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
i personally would not. Id hold out for a stock one with at least decent maintenance records, clean carfax, and no engine mods
The following users liked this post:
Max.H (08-28-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 09:29 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Stock with good maintenance is better but I would take a modded car with an excellent service history over a stock unknown.

Of course it depends on the mods and how carefully they were thought out and installed. If it had a heat exchanger upgrade I would be checking the bumper sits right, they didn't drill millions of holes in the metal bumper bar or cut the plastic shrouds to oblivion. I would measure the clearance of any supercharger pulleys with a feeler gauge and get a scatter shield immediately. Crank pulley, walk away. Headers, I would check for flexy sections, exhaust leaks and engine mounts. Exhaust (rest of it) mods, I probably wouldn't even consider it. Meth/water injection walk away, trunk mount intercooler tank, underhood tank etc, walk away. Coilovers, again depends on how it was done. It will certainly add to the reliability of the car but you want to avoid crappy coilovers and a rubbish ride, these are never going to be sports cars, if they are slammed there may not be much height adjustment left in them, they don't build them for people wanting a normal ride height. Major stereo mods, walk away.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
C300 sport 2008
Originally Posted by tw2
Stock with good maintenance is better but I would take a modded car with an excellent service history over a stock unknown.

Of course it depends on the mods and how carefully they were thought out and installed. If it had a heat exchanger upgrade I would be checking the bumper sits right, they didn't drill millions of holes in the metal bumper bar or cut the plastic shrouds to oblivion. I would measure the clearance of any supercharger pulleys with a feeler gauge and get a scatter shield immediately. Crank pulley, walk away. Headers, I would check for flexy sections, exhaust leaks and engine mounts. Exhaust (rest of it) mods, I probably wouldn't even consider it. Meth/water injection walk away, trunk mount intercooler tank, underhood tank etc, walk away. Coilovers, again depends on how it was done. It will certainly add to the reliability of the car but you want to avoid crappy coilovers and a rubbish ride, these are never going to be sports cars, if they are slammed there may not be much height adjustment left in them, they don't build them for people wanting a normal ride height. Major stereo mods, walk away.
To shorten this for anyone who is reading, if it has 4 wheels. Doors, and e55/kompressor emblems on it walk away.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:58 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Or just make sure you have a somewhat decent career, savings and have the knowledge/skills or funds to properly maintain and fix the car.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 sport 2008
Originally Posted by tw2
Or just make sure you have a somewhat decent career, savings and have the knowledge/skills or funds to properly maintain and fix the car.
yea that too
Old 08-25-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
There are several well maintained modded E55s for sale right now. I confirm this on a semi weekly basis. Now with that being said I wouldn't buy a modded car from a dealer but would buy one from a private owner. This way you can evaluate the owner as well and gauge how well he maintained the car. E55's are not cheap to buy/mod/maintain. That fact alone assumes a certain level of commitment/maturity from the owner. Not too many college bros can afford a car like this.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 sport 2008
Originally Posted by C3Duece
There are several well maintained modded E55s for sale right now. I confirm this on a semi weekly basis. Now with that being said I wouldn't buy a modded car from a dealer but would buy one from a private owner. This way you can evaluate the owner as well and gauge how well he maintained the car. E55's are not cheap to buy/mod/maintain. That fact alone assumes a certain level of commitment/maturity from the owner. Not too many college bros can afford a car like this.
Regarding the last sentence, I counter that thought! I’ll be the first high schooler thank you
Old 08-25-2018, 05:08 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by w204_racing

Regarding the last sentence, I counter that thought! I’ll be the first high schooler thank you
Umm you bought, sold and done mods, have trouble just keeping up with repairs and by your own admission have neglected maintenance.
C3Duece (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
Mine came with Aba cd inside and maintenance records, i felt safe knowing some oldies had owned it and didnt kniw the intercooler pump was ****ed... hehehe. Id buy my car from myself coz i done lots of preventative maintenance and always look after it probably better than stock owners. Although i thrash the bit ch..... hahaha.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
Originally Posted by tw2
Umm you bought, sold and done mods, have trouble just keeping up with repairs and by your own admission have neglected maintenance.
LOL

He's a perfect example of evaluating the owner as well as the car. His freaking SC pulley bearing was so SHOT it welded itself to the snout and he didn't even notice until it was too late.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 924 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG

To shorten this for anyone who is reading, if it has 4 wheels. Doors, and e55/kompressor emblems on it walk away.

Quit whining and accept that life is hard. If you are not willing to learn and apply yourself to becoming a subject matter expert you are contributing nothing. What and who do you want to be? When challenged, one should accept the challenge, then improvise, adapt, and overcome. You think I bought my first Mercedes back in January 2014 with any knowledge about them? I didn't know diddley about a Mercedes and it was *painful* both financially and in the amount of my limited time I had to dedicate to fixing the darn car! Frustrating? Yes! A learning experience unparalleled? Yes! I stuck with it and now I understand some of the models pretty darn well. Suck it up, start learning, accept the life knowledge that will carry you through much tougher challenges in the future.

Yes, it should be obvious that 35 years in the military gives me limited patience. If you can't deal with the pressure, buy a freaking Fiat. If you believe you can run with the big dogs, act like one.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 08-25-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Max.H (08-28-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
FWIW, I'll be posting tomorrow or Monday on my preventive/preemptive maintenance on my E55. Just for the heck of it, I tallied up the cost of parts I replaced "just in case" or because the lifetime reached the recommended replacement time.

Cost?

Over $2000 just in parts....

Makes me look longingly at a Miata again but I sure do like the torque of an E55...it's addicting like crack....
Pmarino (09-04-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 11:35 AM

Dodge Dakota, Saturn sl1
Originally Posted by tw2

Originally Posted by tw2
i plan on about $2500/year

Been looking at cts-v's, haven't sat and drove one. Drove a g8 that was REALLY nicely modded with lots of atte attention to detail. I liked the power on it, was supercharged, but the seats felt like a knife in the lumbar region.

The e55 was just about perfect for me.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 sport 2008
Originally Posted by tw2
lol feisty, I’ve been busy with other stuff but got the time now. So this babe is getting a mommy makeover
Old 08-26-2018, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 sport 2008
Originally Posted by bbirdwell

Quit whining and accept that life is hard. If you are not willing to learn and apply yourself to becoming a subject matter expert you are contributing nothing. What and who do you want to be? When challenged, one should accept the challenge, then improvise, adapt, and overcome. You think I bought my first Mercedes back in January 2014 with any knowledge about them? I didn't know diddley about a Mercedes and it was *painful* both financially and in the amount of my limited time I had to dedicate to fixing the darn car! Frustrating? Yes! A learning experience unparalleled? Yes! I stuck with it and now I understand some of the models pretty darn well. Suck it up, start learning, accept the life knowledge that will carry you through much tougher challenges in the future.

Yes, it should be obvious that 35 years in the military gives me limited patience. If you can't deal with the pressure, buy a freaking Fiat. If you believe you can run with the big dogs, act like one.
I’m not whining I’m just making jokes, I’m not really angry lol I beat the **** out of it I 100% accept it 😁
Old 08-26-2018, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG

I’m not whining I’m just making jokes, I’m not really angry lol I beat the **** out of it I 100% accept it 😁
Then that's cool. All is good.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 sport 2008
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Then that's cool. All is good.
I don’t like to complain about life honestly (sometimes) there’s always a plan B, who knows where that takes someone. 🤔
Old 08-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Dodge Dakota, Saturn sl1
Looking through the mb service history they replaced the transfer case oil. Where the heck is the transfer case located? I think transfer case as a 4wd setup.

Also what is the best way to get ahold of john at race iq?

Last edited by stgdz; 08-26-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:21 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
The choice is either rear differential or transmission.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Yes. I would and I did.

It's all about how the car was taken care of and the quality of the modifications. There can never be a definite, general answer of yes or no to a question like this. My car was modified and, I guarantee, was in better condition (mechanically and aesthetically) than any other car on the market during the ~3 or so months I was searching.

Spend the money and do the research before buying a car, any car, not even just a W211 AMG, and you'll always be better off in the long run.

Edit: There is no John @ RaceIQ. Tony does all the tuning. Lukas does sales. You can contact either on them on Facebook.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I did, and it was also a very well looked after car. The last two previous owners of my car were borderline OCD and fixed every problem that came alone. It had simple mods like 83mm pulley, tune, x-pipe and lowering module. The only problem I've had with it was the dreaded fuel tank issue, but that was unavoidable and would've been covered under warranty if I lived in the US.

And likewise, though I've continued to modify the vehicle, I've spent 10 times as much in preventative and regular maintenance, with folders of documentation to prove it.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Look at the seller, if he looks like the kind of dude that doesn't take care of his car and his house/grage is a mess or non existent then don't buy it.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
^^^^ that was solid advise on buying a car. Hahaha
Old 08-31-2018, 11:21 PM

Dodge Dakota, Saturn sl1
Any concerns on a lower pulley breaking and having it replaced. Found this out during conversation with the owner. Front seal could be damaged but that would show up as an oil drip.