Beast has arrived - some observations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 08:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Beast has arrived - some observations

Well I finally got my new E55 last week after a 5 month wait that seemed like 5 years. It replaced my 02 M3 w/SMG.

I was lucky in that I had been loaned an E55 by MB for a few days before I placed my order so I had an idea what to expect. Clever move by MB, because I was almost committed to an RS6 when I got the E55 loaner. The difference in refinement was pretty big, and the clincher was that the Mrs hated the RS6 and loved the E55.

Spec: Silver/Anthracite, COMAND, parktronic, distronic, HK, phone kit.

Things I like:

Quality of interior and general ride comfort. It is a very relaxing place to be - reminds me in some ways of a Jaguar XJR I used to have, but better. The RS6 has better traction and grip though.

HK Sound system upgrade - very high quality and much, much better than the equally priced HK upgrade in my M3. It is great to have COMAND with a built-in MP3 player. I have my whole CD collection in the car on 5 DVDs now!

Spare wheel - very glad I got the later model with this as standard.

Parktronic - Having the LEDs as well as a beeper is much better than the usual basic beeper.

Distronic - I would never have considered speccing this, but it came on my loaner and I was amazed at just how much better it is than basic cruise control. On a long journey and especially on our crowded UK roads it is awesome.

Brakes - the SBCH feature is great in stop/start traffic.

The Power - No comment needed.

Things I don't like:

Interior - seat side bolsters don't go wide enough for some larger passengers.

Parktronic - on a car costing this much, it should be standard kit, not an option.

Steering wheel - on a car costing this much, the steering wheel should be part wood. The standard item looks and feels like cheap plastic. Also, I would rather have gearshift paddles than plastic buttons.

Sound system - MP3 tracks won't play in the track order defined in the ID3 tag, and playlists aren't supported.

My MB dealer - absolutely no clue about the cars they sell. At every stage of the purchase I have known more about every aspect of the car than them.

The Power - the first 1000 miles is a b!tch.

Overall the car is so massively different to the M3 that it really defies any direct comparison. They both excel at what they're designed for. I have no complaints about the brakes or the steering - like anything, once you get used to the way it works it all feels quite normal. So far I am totally happy with my purchase - just got to add four hundred miles on before I can unlock the cage....
Old 06-07-2004, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Congratulations on your new purchase!

Glad you like it! Well, most of it.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:10 AM

one of seven
you vill like it and drive not zo fast. ja?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:40 PM

MB E55 2004
Congrats!!!
I had an M3 before, so the difference is huge.

Regards,
E55 POWER
Old 06-07-2004, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Talking

Congrats!!

After driving awhile - you will come to truly admire the shear power of the E-55. I had a GS 400 Twin Turbo (1 of 3 in U.S.) that was not nearly as civilized as the Beast!! The only nicer thing about the GS was the interior fit and finish was more "Posh". Everything else about the E-55(Brakes, Electronics, HK, etc...) is so much nicer and yet you have 500HP at your right foot!! Congrats again! BTW - It also has a Warranty whereas my GS400 had a "Tail Light" warranty.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Fourbore, my cab driver (driving a new E320) out of Gatwick yesterday mnetioned that MB had taken over all of the UK dealerships and made them corporate stores. He offered that service was now bottom of the barrel and that the locations were less than desireable because some of the dealers did not go willingly.

Are the UK dealers now all corporate and is this the standard in Europe?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

congrats on your new ride
Old 06-10-2004, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Congrats on the new ride! You have a mean beast on your hands!