Stock connecting rod bolt swap to ARP's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Stock connecting rod bolt swap to ARP's

Looking for information on swapping out stock connecting rod bolts on the M113 engine to ARP bolt's. I am told that the connecting rod big end will distort and will have to be resized when changing out bolt's.
I am not seeing this possible with a bolt that will only see 30lb's of torque. Anyone do a rebuild and run into this? Trying to avoid any work on the rod's big end and just swap to stronger bolts.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Hi, questions
Inside the car ?? or complete bottom end rebuild ?
If using brand new bolts torque as required, then re-torque numerous times as the stud must be bottomed out in the big end
If this is a rebuild then the big ends must be checked for oblong hole and possibly resized to factory spec- machine shop required
The big end after HP usage, high rpms and just normal usage will stretch the hole and new bearings will not be perfectly in a circle, the engine will run perfect for a short time then bottom end knock will occur as the bearing retains the big end oblong shape.

30 lbs of torques is very small value for the rod bolts ?? Is this factory value??
Did a small block 340 ci Dodge engine years ago and found out i had to re-torque rod bolts many times and this was with the same values, did this over numerous days, BUT the engine has sustained high usage for going on 20 years so the bottom end is very good STILL
New bolts will stretch and need to be fully seated in the big end.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:29 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
if you torque them to factory spec they should retain the same shape generally speaking...if the "stretch" the bolts as all high performance fasteners used for rods generally require then you'll need to resize your big ends.

best to use a bore gauge and measure shape with factory bolts versus ARP bolts to be 100% sure.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 09-25-2018, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
But the big end must be checked for roundness and they do go oblong with usage and will not be good for new bearing inserts.
If you are just changing out rods bolts then from my perspective you are wasting your time, rod size check from machinist and new bearings are a must, do it right the first time.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Originally Posted by Critter
Hi, questions
Inside the car ?? or complete bottom end rebuild ?
If using brand new bolts torque as required, then re-torque numerous times as the stud must be bottomed out in the big end
If this is a rebuild then the big ends must be checked for oblong hole and possibly resized to factory spec- machine shop required
The big end after HP usage, high rpms and just normal usage will stretch the hole and new bearings will not be perfectly in a circle, the engine will run perfect for a short time then bottom end knock will occur as the bearing retains the big end oblong shape.

30 lbs of torques is very small value for the rod bolts ?? Is this factory value??
Did a small block 340 ci Dodge engine years ago and found out i had to re-torque rod bolts many times and this was with the same values, did this over numerous days, BUT the engine has sustained high usage for going on 20 years so the bottom end is very good STILL
New bolts will stretch and need to be fully seated in the big end.
These bolts are not nut and bolt, just a cap screw so NO bottoming out with the bolt itself.
Just found out also that the big end is also a cracked cap setup so you can not resize it.
28lb's is the spec from ARP with a 6.5 to 7 stretch.
After calling around today to Weistec and a Winston Cup engine builder I know of they both said that since it is a 4340? forged rod with such a small, light torque bolt, "28 lb", that there should be no problem. I will buy a spare rod to test on and verify as well.

Critter: yes new bearings going in for the hell of it.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Thank you, I was not thinking of just bolt setup.
But for sure measure big end for roundness.
You sound like you know what you are doing.
Happy wrenching
Old 09-25-2018, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by SICAMG
These bolts are not nut and bolt, just a cap screw so NO bottoming out with the bolt itself.
Just found out also that the big end is also a cracked cap setup so you can not resize it.
28lb's is the spec from ARP with a 6.5 to 7 stretch.
After calling around today to Weistec and a Winston Cup engine builder I know of they both said that since it is a 4340? forged rod with such a small, light torque bolt, "28 lb", that there should be no problem. I will buy a spare rod to test on and verify as well.

Critter: yes new bearings going in for the hell of it.
No need to buy a rod. PM me your address
Old 09-25-2018, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Dang...I new I should have checked with you. Let me see if I can cancel the order I just made and I will let you know. I would need a piston ,pin,rod and rings to weigh them for future custom pistons as well.
Aside from that what are your thoughts on my original question on swapping bolts .
Old 09-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Dang...I new I should have checked with you. Let me see if I can cancel the order I just made and I will let you know. I would need a piston ,pin,rod and rings to weigh them for future custom pistons as well.
Aside from that what are your thoughts on my original question on swapping bolts .
I should have all that. I don't think swapping the bolts should be a big deal
Old 09-28-2018, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Just picked up 8 piston and rod assembly's and will put the ARP bolts in and do some measuring.
I have to say that the piston is very well made with pretty good ring lands and top ring depth.

Last edited by SICAMG; 10-03-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Just did some testing just to see where things will be at. Installed new bolts into 8 rods and found zero change on the big end of the rods so no resize needed. Most bolts where torqued to 30lb's...depending on stretch so looks good for the install in the engine.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New AMG Owner
Hello ! I know its an old thread , but if anyone knows part number of arp rod bolts is much appreciated for m113k !

Thank you
Old 04-29-2019, 07:45 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by KorsMichael
Hello ! I know its an old thread , but if anyone knows part number of arp rod bolts is much appreciated for m113k !

Thank you
I had them make a few hundred for us and just sent in a factory bolt for them to measure.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-15-2022, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32
Blackbenzz are you still on this forum? If so your messaging is full and I need some help please.