Sponsored by:

Going to mod the E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
Thumbs up Going to mod the E55 AMG

I will start the modding process after I take care of some other business and can free up some time. Also have to get a Pantera up and running as well as the RX-7, that's another story. The car is an 06.

I plan on the following:

* Bigger HE
* Split cooling
* 010 Bosch pump
* SS LT Headers and complete exhaust, want hi-flow cats.
* 550 or 630 lb injectors, both are the same price.
* Loop rail
* 76 mm Pulley
* TCU tune,?
* ECU tune
* 82 mm Throttle body
* One step cooler plugs

Not going for big power and this is an adult driven street car.

Missing anything? Please feel free to add and educate me if you so please...

Thanks, Chris

Last edited by Fountain35; 10-21-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by Fountain35
I will start the modding process after I take care of some other business and can free up some time. Also have to get a Pantera up and running as well as the RX-7, that's another story. The car is an 06.

I plan on the following:

* Bigger HE
* Split cooling
* 010 Bosch pump
* SS LT Headers and complete exhaust, want h-flow cats.
* 550 or 630 lb injectors, both are the same price.
* Loop rail
* 74 mm Pulley
* TCU tune, maybe get an 03 E55 TCU, less" nanny control" I hear?
* ECU tune
* One step cooler plugs

Not going for big power and this is an adult driven street car.

Missing anything? Please feel free to add and educate me if you so please...

Thanks, Chris
I would join fb groups and look into race iq performance tuning and talk there top sales rep Lukas edge he knows this platforum very well ..
Old 10-20-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Let the fun begin! You're going to love it.

My thoughts:
74mm is way too agressive for a heat exchanger and bosch 010, you will need much more cooling or bigger pulley. A small pulley with the headers will be heavily choked of the potential power if you stay with the OEM throttle body. Split cooling via small crap reservoir is a waste of money and effort. There are no additional "nanny control" on the late model TCUs. They actually have manual gear hold built in already, and the early models dont. The burn out issue and having to put the car in dyno mode instead of ABS off to do a good long standing burn out with the late models is actual related to the ABS control module, changing the TCU will not get rid of it and changing out the ABS module requires it to be re-VIN coded which I'm not familiar with doing and have found mixed results about dealers being able to do it. I looked into this substantially as I have a late model that I would like to be able to burn the slicks at the track in with just a flick of the traction control button.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:43 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Looks good. I don't believe the looped rail offers much. Others might disagree but I believe most lean issues can be avoided simply by having fresh fuel pumps and a clean filter. There have been engine failures with looped rails.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:44 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by drothgeb
Let the fun begin! You're going to love it.

My thoughts:
74mm is way too agressive for a heat exchanger and bosch 010, you will need much more cooling or bigger pulley. A small pulley with the headers will be heavily choked of the potential power if you stay with the OEM throttle body. Split cooling via small crap reservoir is a waste of money and effort. There are no additional "nanny control" on the late model TCUs. They actually have manual gear hold built in already, and the early models dont. The burn out issue and having to put the car in dyno mode instead of ABS off to do a good long standing burn out with the late models is actual related to the ABS control module, changing the TCU will not get rid of it and changing out the ABS module requires it to be re-VIN coded which I'm not familiar with doing and have found mixed results about dealers being able to do it. I looked into this substantially as I have a late model that I would like to be able to burn the slicks at the track in with just a flick of the traction control button.
I meant a 76 mm Pulley, not 74mm my mistake. Forgot the throttle body, 82 mm I believe is about what I need. So I guess there is nothing to do with the TCU? (update)

Great info thanks for the reply.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
82 mm I believe is about what I need.
Throttle body upgrade is an excellent mod. Just a warning, have a search on the forums as not everyone has been able to get it working correctly and some have spent considerable time and money with unsatisfactory results. On the other hand many people just chuck it on and it's perfect.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:51 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by tw2
Looks good. I don't believe the looped rail offers much. Others might disagree but I believe most lean issues can be avoided simply by having fresh fuel pumps and a clean filter. There have been engine failures with looped rails.
My car has had the Mercedes fuel kit update.I also read the new fuel pumps are actually weaker than the originals... Something else I am not sure is true. I figure the looped rail can't hurt.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:54 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by tw2
Throttle body upgrade is an excellent mod. Just a warning, have a search on the forums as not everyone has been able to get it working correctly and some have spent considerable time and money with unsatisfactory results. On the other hand many people just chuck it on and it's perfect.
I have read that, little apprehensive but I think it needs to be changed.

Last edited by Fountain35; 10-21-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:10 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
My car has had the Mercedes fuel kit update.I also read the new fuel pumps are actually weaker than the originals... Something else I am not sure is true. I figure the looped rail can't hurt.
Looped rail certainly won't hurt. I know a lot of people ended up with one of their pumps wired up backwards (MB changed the pins) which decreased fuel pressure as you can imagine. Once everyone worked out what adapter harness to use... as far as I am aware they are exactly the same.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:14 PM

2005 E55
So I guess there is nothing to do with the TCU? (update)
I think there can still be benefit in a TCU tune, just no need to switch out to an earlier model TCU.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:44 AM

N/A
Is there a benefit from using a 90 mm throttle body versus an 82 mm throttle body?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:37 AM

2005 E55
Is there a benefit from using a 90 mm throttle body versus an 82 mm throttle body?
Other than more HP, no.