Sponsored by:

Brake fluid change in an '04 E55 AMG...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 BMW M3
Brake fluid change in an '04 E55 AMG...

So, I've finally coninvinced my Dad that he ought to wander out to the track with me and actually do some work on his driving skills. Unfortunately, however, that means that either I need to change, or he needs to get the brake fluid in his car changed, or else he won’t pass tech. There’s no way in hell he’s driving my M3 out on the track, as he hasn't got anything close to the ability to handle my tweaked suspension. Especially if I'm on R-tires. :p Anyhow, I thought I’d ask if there’s any special equipment needed to get the fluid changed? After all, it’s less than ideal to go to the deal for these sorts of things. The e-brake system makes me a little nervous, and I haven’t had a chance to wander on over and take a look under his hood.

Finally, we’re going to the Summit Point Main Circuit—if track pads are an absolute necessity for him (he’ll have ESP on the whole time, and he isn’t too aggressive), there’s still time to get a set. I won’t ever go out on a track again without track pads, but I’m still not sure they’re necessary for him. But I don’t really know if the E55’s brakes are as good as they look, either.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:30 PM
I1 ULOOZ

sounds like fun!
Old 06-12-2004, 02:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles on the car? The fluid should be fine and there is no reason to run alternate pads with his conservative driving style. Let your dad drive your M3 and enjoy the difference and comparison. Suspension upgrades will not get in his way. He may even run a faster time than you!!
Old 06-12-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 BMW M3
a) the car has over 11K on it.
b) the fluid is 9 months old.
c) even if the fluid were able to withstand repeated 140-50MPH stops (entrance speed to the main straight is 70-80MPH, and it's LONG), he CAN'T PASS TECH INPECTION without getting it changed.

So, that still leaves us with the question of: Does anyone know how the fluid is changed, or have a service manual?
Old 06-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
You will need to have Mercedes use the DAS laptop to bleed the brakes correctly from what I am told. This is due to the SBC brake system. Only the DAS laptop will be able to modulate the ABS valves, etc.

From what I was told brake bleeding on the W211 is a totally automatic process once hooked up to DAS and their brake bleeding machine.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
The SBC system has to be deactivated in order to do any brake work on the W211(non E320) or W230 cars. The stock fluid is DOT 4 and even 9 month old fluid should suffice-just lie when in the tech inspection line. Search this forum for past track articles by me or Color Change. Extreme caution must be used when driving this car to the limits due to brake overheating nand lack of tactile feedback before the brakes go out. When the red warning message appears after about 15-20 minutes, do not stay out longer than another 5 minutes or so. Make sure you take an adequate cooling period either on the track or off track and give at least 45 minutes between each session.

I changed my fluid to SRF, added brake ducts, and still almost lost it when I lost 50% of brake power before coming into the pits with my brake pads in flames requiring assistance of the fire rescue in the pits. The car's heavy weight and heavy steel one-piece unilateral rotor design make it not ideal to run hard for more than 25 minutes or so.

Do not take the brake situation lightly.