Sponsored by:

Supercharger Bearing, is mine shot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2008 BMW M5, 2004 E55 AMG (RIP)
Supercharger Bearing, is mine shot?

Hey guys, the other day I started hearing something that sounded like pulley noise that was rpm dependent. I replaced the idler pulley 3k miles ago so I assumed it wasn't that. I removed the sc belt and hand spun the idler, tensioner, and supercharger pulley. The tensioner and supercharger pullies made some noise but the tensioner was certainly louder. I drove the car around my neighborhood with the sc belt off and still heard the sound, just much fainter this time. To me at least, this points to the sc bearing since it is spinning regardless of whether the belt is on or not and the tensioner doesn't spin while the belt is off, but the tensioner is making an unnerving sound too. I'm going to include a video of me hand spinning the pullies, let me know what you guys think. (Yes I know the sc clutch surface is scratched, it wasn't me I promise haha I've only had the car 7k miles)

Old 11-11-2018, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
C300 sport 2008
Originally Posted by N_Rob
Hey guys, the other day I started hearing something that sounded like pulley noise that was rpm dependent. I replaced the idler pulley 3k miles ago so I assumed it wasn't that. I removed the sc belt and hand spun the idler, tensioner, and supercharger pulley. The tensioner and supercharger pullies made some noise but the tensioner was certainly louder. I drove the car around my neighborhood with the sc belt off and still heard the sound, just much fainter this time. To me at least, this points to the sc bearing since it is spinning regardless of whether the belt is on or not and the tensioner doesn't spin while the belt is off, but the tensioner is making an unnerving sound too. I'm going to include a video of me hand spinning the pullies, let me know what you guys think. (Yes I know the sc clutch surface is scratched, it wasn't me I promise haha I've only had the car 7k miles)

https://youtu.be/0AnWbL_XvoI
new tensioner for sure, supercharger bearing may be the culprit as well. You got the right ideas so just order away.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
How many miles on the car? Info like this helps to make a diagnosis. Possibly bad supercharger rear bearings (lots of work but do-able). Pull both belts and rotate all pulleys by hand and listen for noise and feel for roughness. Need more info to assist you.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2008 BMW M5, 2004 E55 AMG (RIP)
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
How many miles on the car? Info like this helps to make a diagnosis. Possibly bad supercharger rear bearings (lots of work but do-able). Pull both belts and rotate all pulleys by hand and listen for noise and feel for roughness. Need more info to assist you.
Miles are high, 184k. I knew about the rear supercharger bearings so I manually twisted the supercharger pulley while keeping my ear near the throttle body and couldn't hear anything from the back. That probably doesn't mean much I know. I'll pull the serpentine belt off when I can, I'll be a little busy until Thursday or so and that's probably when I'll get to it. I'm not driving the car in the meantime of course, I don't want to take the chance if it's a bad bearing. I've seen the stories on this forum when they fail in motion.