Sponsored by:

HELP ME UNDERSTAND E55 COOLING!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 e55
HELP ME UNDERSTAND E55 COOLING!

Hey everyone. So this is my 1st supercharged vehicle so i am a complete noob when it comes to the IC and HE cooling.

I am currently running a single superflow pump exiting the ice tank pushing to intercooler. I just recently switched the pump to the superflow. Which brings me to my questions.

#1 - Since I am running trunk tank do I still need to bleed the system? I understand how to bleed it but would i bleed and put it back into the normal coolant tank for the engine? Or since its the tank would i run a bleed line back and have it push into the trunk tank? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

#2 - Should I run 2 pumps? And if so where should i plumb in the other pump to flow to?

#3 - Here is a picture of how my current setup is running for plumbing. Is there anything that I should change???

Last edited by Drew Durham; 12-02-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
CLK56TT (WIP), S65, RR 5.0 S/C
Originally Posted by Drew Durham
#1 - Since I am running trunk tank do I still need to bleed the system? I understand how to bleed it but would i bleed and put it back into the normal coolant tank for the engine? Or since its the tank would i run a bleed line back and have it push into the trunk tank? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)
Yes, you need to bleed the system. Your drawing doesn't indicate the presence of a coolant tank though. Are you running an OE joint or a split setup? Either way you have to have a header tank above everything in the cooling circuit otherwise some air might be trapped in the intercooler and or HE.

#2 - Should I run 2 pumps? And if so where should i plumb in the other pump to flow to?
With the working setup you shoudn't need to.

#3 - Here is a picture of how my current setup is running for plumbing. Is there anything that I should change???
Mine looks very similar except for the ice tank and pump location (I feed it from the HE). I wouldn't change anything but I would monitor and datalog to have an idea how well it all works in real life, not just on paper.
The following users liked this post:
Drew Durham (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 01:05 PM

03 e55
Originally Posted by Alex L
Yes, you need to bleed the system. Your drawing doesn't indicate the presence of a coolant tank though. Are you running an OE joint or a split setup? Either way you have to have a header tank above everything in the cooling circuit otherwise some air might be trapped in the intercooler and or HE.

With the working setup you shoudn't need to.

Mine looks very similar except for the ice tank and pump location (I feed it from the HE). I wouldn't change anything but I would monitor and datalog to have an idea how well it all works in real life, not just on paper.
According to logs it usually will run 17-22* over ambient with the current setup. It does heat up pretty fast though! But recover time is pretty decent.

I have no idea about the split cooling or OE. From what I can see there is only the Coolant tank in the engine bay on the drivers side.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:33 PM

According to logs it usually will run 17-22* over ambient with the current setup. It does heat up pretty fast though! But recover time is pretty decent.

I have no idea about the split cooling or OE. From what I can see there is only the Coolant tank in the engine bay on the drivers side.
OE cooling circuit was designed to use a single coolant header tank for both, the intercooler and engine cooling. Many people separate the two but you would have to have two header tanks in this case. You can trace coolant hoses to see if yours still go into a single T-piece behind the radiator or form a separate circuit as per your picture.
The following users liked this post:
Drew Durham (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:37 PM

03 e55
OE cooling circuit was designed to use a single coolant header tank for both, the intercooler and engine cooling. Many people separate the two but you would have to have two header tanks in this case. You can trace coolant hoses to see if yours still go into a single T-piece behind the radiator or form a separate circuit as per your picture.
I'm fairly certain there is no secondary tank. So if this is the case its going to be a normal bleeding back into the drivers side coolant tank?
Old 12-02-2018, 03:45 PM

I'm fairly certain there is no secondary tank. So if this is the case its going to be a normal bleeding back into the drivers side coolant tank?
It depends. Did you install the ice tank yourself? Some people don’t use a header tank with the ice tank (they fill up via the ice tank and that’s that). You really need to check your plumbing buddy. Like I said have a look at hoses and try to make sense in how they are connected. Or post pictures on here and somebody will help.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
The tank will eventually self-bleed, but at a slower rate.

I don't know that you need to run two pumps, but I do. I run a Bosch 010 up front and a Johnson 2200 bilge in tank. My flow rate is very good with that combo.

Flow diagram looks good. Same basic setup as mine, except there is a second pump after exiting the H/E.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:47 AM

03 e55
Originally Posted by Davednconfused
The tank will eventually self-bleed, but at a slower rate.

I don't know that you need to run two pumps, but I do. I run a Bosch 010 up front and a Johnson 2200 bilge in tank. My flow rate is very good with that combo.

Flow diagram looks good. Same basic setup as mine, except there is a second pump after exiting the H/E.
This is what i was looking to do. I am thinking about adding my superflow pump there up front, and putting the bosch back in the rear location
Old 12-04-2018, 03:27 PM

What is the second pump going to do? Just curious.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 PM

03 e55
produce better flow I assume lol
Old 12-05-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
In my case, with just a Bosch 010 up front, it wasn't producing a flow rate I was happy with. So, the Johnson 2200 which is mounted inside the tank was used to speed it up.