W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 - obsidian black, all options except pano roof - gone but not forgotten
E55 maintenance

So, brought my 25000 mile 05 E55 up to date with maintenance as it hasn't been driven much by the previous owner:

rear diff service
trans service
coolant flush
valve cover gaskets - small leaks , right more than left, but thought I would get it done.
spark plugs - factory plugs were still in place after 14 years.
V-belts - showing signs of mild dry rot.
main battery - bad
SBC aux battery - weak
front control arm bushings replaced on both sides due to both being cracked.
4 wheel alignment alignment
Service D ( showing that its due on the dash ) - included oil change, brake fluid change, cabin filter, AC service, lube door jams, sunroof rales.
Both air filters.
Ordered extra Key from the factory.
one small right front fender dent repair.
wipers

Should be good for a while now, I hope.

Amount paid: 4900. Priced this out with various Independent reputable shops in the area - some services were less, others more, probably would have saved 300-400 bucks over the dealer. What do you guys think, reasonable or did I get hosed?

Last edited by rusbel; 12-06-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts
222 S-65
OP the time to go shopping to save service $$$ is before you write a check!

Could you have saved some money in the aftermarket compared with the dealer? At $150/hr and the dealer charging 2.5 hours to service the transmission, another 2.5 hours for your 'D' service + upsold items... Sure... But MB uses only MB parts in your E-55 with techs who work on MB all day every day. That is worth something.
edit: How many hours of labor did MB charge to do your engine mounts? Look on the repair order. I want to know.

If you work with a shop in the aftermarket and have good rapport with them you can ask what flavor of parts they use.... Where you are well versed in such things you will know well enough to insist on genuine AMG air struts when those are needed... That ATE dot4 brake fluid is just dandy rather then spending extra for the bottle MB sells.

One needs to be sharp about how the car works to ask the right questions + know about what he is telling you. If you're not that kind of mechanically inclined... That is OK... Take it to the dealer and know that it has the best chances of being treated right there.

Last edited by JohnLane; 12-10-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I think that you might have paid a little more than usual for these services. But these are dealership prices. I prefer to do some of these services myself, and save a few bucks.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 - obsidian black, all options except pano roof - gone but not forgotten
Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP the time to go shopping to save service $$$ is before you write a check!

Could you have saved some money in the aftermarket compared with the dealer? At $150/hr and the dealer charging 2.5 hours to service the transmission, another 2.5 hours for your 'D' service + upsold items... Sure... But MB uses only MB parts in your E-55 with techs who work on MB all day every day. That is worth something.
edit: How many hours of labor did MB charge to do your engine mounts? Look on the repair order. I want to know.

If you work with a shop in the aftermarket and have good rapport with them you can ask what flavor of parts they use.... Where you are well versed in such things you will know well enough to insist on genuine AMG air struts when those are needed... That ATE dot4 brake fluid is just dandy rather then spending extra for the bottle MB sells.

One needs to be sharp about how the car works to ask the right questions + know about what he is telling you. If you're not that kind of mechanically inclined... That is OK... Take it to the dealer and know that it has the best chances of being treated right there.
thanks for the reply. I did check with a few reputable shops around me and their prices were fairly similar. i did not have the engine mounts done so wouldnt know the price.