Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping my car currently

 
Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E55 amg
Wrapping my car currently

Anyone tried wrapping their own car? ****s hard!
I can do the laying down smoothly but itís the edges and folding that kill me. Doing matte white/gloss black/ dark blue calipers to match interior.
ExclusiveAMG is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 02:59 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,925
Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Good luck with that. Personally, I take it to a professional.
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 03:08 PM
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
Good luck with that. Personally, I take it to a professional.
Iím expanding my business so Iím going to learn it one way or the other
ExclusiveAMG is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:56 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 2,937
Thanked 179 Times in 170 Posts
2007 E63, 2001 E320 wagon
There's a reason a good wrap job costs thousands of dollars. It takes a lot of practice to get good at it.
Strigoi is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:59 PM
  #5  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by Strigoi View Post
There's a reason a good wrap job costs thousands of dollars. It takes a lot of practice to get good at it.
absolutely... Iím currently just trying it out and need to fix all the edges at the end but itís going all good right now.
ExclusiveAMG is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 AM
  #6  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,749
Thanked 135 Times in 118 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Just like window tints, anyone can do it but to do it really well is a skill.

Please post back with pictures and advice on your learning curve, would be good to see, all the best.
tw2 is online now  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:09 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
F355, E55, 9-3, Defender 90
I've been learning tint and wrap on my own, but exclusively for my own cars and friends and family.
Its tricky, and there is a lot of waste, especially initially. Nothing more frustrating then spending an hour shrinking a back window only to get a piece of dirt under it.
I have not wrapped a entire car yet, but have done large area clear bras, roofs and lots of tricky small parts.

Depending of the areas you are struggling with, sometimes those areas either require you to tack, heat and stretch Or even pre-stretch and shrink to cover the area. Using a good brand of wrap is critical, and consider the edge tape/glues
kenneyd is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 AM
  #8  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by kenneyd View Post
I've been learning tint and wrap on my own, but exclusively for my own cars and friends and family.
Its tricky, and there is a lot of waste, especially initially. Nothing more frustrating then spending an hour shrinking a back window only to get a piece of dirt under it.
I have not wrapped a entire car yet, but have done large area clear bras, roofs and lots of tricky small parts.

Depending of the areas you are struggling with, sometimes those areas either require you to tack, heat and stretch Or even pre-stretch and shrink to cover the area. Using a good brand of wrap is critical, and consider the edge tape/glues
Regardless of areas you must stretch it to a mirror like surface... completely flat. And with the vivvid wrap Iím using it is so hard!
ExclusiveAMG is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 05:14 PM
  #9  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E55 amg
Wanted to inform all of you... **** Amazon. They put the wrong label for wrap and I bought matte white thinking it was right. Turns out one is matte white and other is matte diamond white so itís two different panels. So far 2 rolls of wrapped have been delayed in 3 days so I may need to wait till Monday to start working on it again
ExclusiveAMG is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 06:12 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,543
Thanked 127 Times in 108 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG Pano, 2002 Audi A4 1.8t
you'll need quality vinyl first of all....then YouTube is your friend for anything general and DIY. Wrapping a W211 would be a bit daunting due to the amount of panels/parts you'll need to separate to result a quality job. Good luck.

to answer the initial question...i believe you'll need a heat gun and some thin plastic tools as well as thick fabric gloves.
hachiroku is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 06:14 PM
  #11  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by hachiroku View Post
you'll need quality vinyl first of all....then YouTube is your friend for anything general and DIY. Wrapping a W211 would be a bit daunting due to the amount of panels/parts you'll need to separate to result a quality job. Good luck.

to answer the initial question...i believe you'll need a heat gun and some thin plastic tools as well as thick fabric gloves.
I got all those tools... itís going well. Had to redo the door but if anyone does this and buys knifeless tape. Use the freaking thing unlike me who needed to redo it because I didnt
ExclusiveAMG is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:56 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: FRISCO TEXAS
Posts: 333
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2006 E55
youtube is your friend and there are TONS of helpful videos to assist you. post pics and let us see.
actech is offline  
Old 02-19-2019, 04:21 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 192
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2004 E55/2010 GL450/2013 Raptor/2004 TL
Would love to see some pictures as I am also thinking about wrapping my E55.
Benztech858 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wrapping my car currently


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: