W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Changing adaptive ignition settings.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2004 | 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Changing adaptive ignition settings.

Has anyone tried this lately and gotten good results?
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1

"Heres an easy way to get more HP from your MBZ. All MBZ's shipped here are set up at a "baseline" adaptive ign setting. Roll down to your local MBZ dealer (where you have a friend) and ask them to get out the Star Diagnose machine and plug it in to your car. Go through the engine controls, ME2.8 menu and reset the adaptive ingnition setting to 93 octane. Dont worry this is a EURO antiknock index- equates to approx 91 here. It will advance the timing 6 degrees across the board- good for quite a few hp on the 55 engine."
Old 06-30-2004 | 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Originally Posted by ima55r2
Has anyone tried this lately and gotten good results?
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1

"Heres an easy way to get more HP from your MBZ. All MBZ's shipped here are set up at a "baseline" adaptive ign setting. Roll down to your local MBZ dealer (where you have a friend) and ask them to get out the Star Diagnose machine and plug it in to your car. Go through the engine controls, ME2.8 menu and reset the adaptive ingnition setting to 93 octane. Dont worry this is a EURO antiknock index- equates to approx 91 here. It will advance the timing 6 degrees across the board- good for quite a few hp on the 55 engine."
Sorry, you have it back to front. Base equals Euro 95 Octane, 93 is lfor lower quality fuel using ess advance. You are taking power out of the car not adding it by doing this.
Old 06-30-2004 | 12:59 PM

2004 E55
Advancing the timeing helps low end torque, but as the revs climb you have to begin retarding the timing. If you want upper end HP, it means you have to retard, not advance. The best of both worlds is advanced at low revs and retarded at higher revs. That is how they're getting such good #s HP and TRQ in newer engines due to "Variable Valve Timing" along with advanced electronics. If you guys are getting you're 115 trap speed on stock motors, don't mess with the electronics.
Old 06-30-2004 | 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kens-E55
Advancing the timeing helps low end torque, but as the revs climb you have to begin retarding the timing. If you want upper end HP, it means you have to retard, not advance. The best of both worlds is advanced at low revs and retarded at higher revs. That is how they're getting such good #s HP and TRQ in newer engines due to "Variable Valve Timing" along with advanced electronics. If you guys are getting you're 115 trap speed on stock motors, don't mess with the electronics.
From my experinece changing this, we lost 15rwhp every time we reduced the ignition setting.
Old 07-03-2004 | 10:59 AM

FX35 plus
For hi-boost charged engine, advance the timing seems safer.
Retard induced more air & potential leaner.
Old 07-03-2004 | 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Shine_1023
For hi-boost charged engine, advance the timing seems safer.
Retard induced more air & potential leaner.
Shine
I think your english may be confusing people. Yes on high boost motors you can RETARD the ignition through this setting, however it is better to get the chip properly reprogrammed instead.
BASE is the MOST advanced ignition setting. The other settings RETARD the ignition. The settings are there to allow the car to run on poor quality fuels.
Old 07-03-2004 | 10:35 PM

FX35 plus
stephens
Thanks for cover it up.
MKB did very aggressive advance timing on my chip
so I'm confused when ppl talk about retard ? for
better performance.
Maybe factory or aftermarket FI deal in the different way.

Originally Posted by stephens
Shine
I think your english may be confusing people. Yes on high boost motors you can RETARD the ignition through this setting, however it is better to get the chip properly reprogrammed instead.
BASE is the MOST advanced ignition setting. The other settings RETARD the ignition. The settings are there to allow the car to run on poor quality fuels.