Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires and level of traction do you have?

Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 PM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
CLS55
Michelin pilot 4s up front for me. I have the normal pilot 4's on my 18s up front. Rear I have a set of nankang crayons and evo2s from hankook. Before that I had the semi slick rsz3s or whatever from hankook as well both tyre grip well the semi slick seemed to last me a decent time a few track days and drag racing and general street abuse. I have to replace my rears every 6 months at best
Old 04-18-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo9
Originally Posted by tw2 View Post
I ran these on the CLK55, unfortunately still had some traction issues but not as bad as the E55. I am currently running the potenza RE003's on the mr2 but that doesn't have much power, they certainly handle very very well though.

Oh well, sounds like my situation is normal. I might try the cup 2's next time if I can afford them and they come in the correct size, even just on the rear. I think any good quality summer tire on the front will be fine.
Can you get Toyo Proxes R888R? Youtube channel Dragtimes uses these on his Mclaren 720S and rips some good 60ft times. Here in the states the Toyo is cheaper but just as good of a tire. But the R888R will not last as long as Cup 2 and will be louder if that matters. Made in Japan so it should be an option for you.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
CLS55 AMG (Current) C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by lvevo View Post
Can you get Toyo Proxes R888R? Youtube channel Dragtimes uses these on his Mclaren 720S and rips some good 60ft times. Here in the states the Toyo is cheaper but just as good of a tire. But the R888R will not last as long as Cup 2 and will be louder if that matters. Made in Japan so it should be an option for you.
I run the Toyo R888R but the car is not my daily. The grip is the best I have yet to try but the road noise is pretty bad if that concerns you, also they won't be high mileage runners and in the wet won't be near the best, but I love them.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
E55 2006 / E55 2000 / White Odyssey
Originally Posted by tw2 View Post
I ran these on the CLK55, unfortunately still had some traction issues but not as bad as the E55. I am currently running the potenza RE003's on the mr2 but that doesn't have much power, they certainly handle very very well though.

Oh well, sounds like my situation is normal. I might try the cup 2's next time if I can afford them and they come in the correct size, even just on the rear. I think any good quality summer tire on the front will be fine.
What tires size you had for your CLK55 ?
Old 04-21-2019, 02:21 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 128 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by CharlyE500 View Post
What tires size you had for your CLK55 ?
Stock sizes exactly, I know there were some different wheels in different markets but mine were 225/18 and 255/18 from the factory, sorry I don't remember the ratio's, it's been a while since I owned it

Yep we have Toyo's here but I appear to be quite sensitive to road noise. The S007a's are actually fairly good on the road noise. Oh well it will be a while before the rears run down but sounds like there are at least 2-3 others I can try when the time comes.
The following users liked this post:
CharlyE500 (04-22-2019)