Sponsored by:

'04 E55 ECM Failure. Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG 1983 300D Turbodiesel
'04 E55 ECM Failure. Advice?

Looks like this is my first post after years of browsing. I have a 2004 Midnight Blue E55 AMG with approx 168k miles on the clock and the usual bolt-ons (sc pulley, bwk, EC tune) as well as E63 front end, E63 Wheels & lowered via STAR.

I was driving the other night when all of a sudden the car stalled, engine died and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree saying batt and alt malfunction, esp malfunction, etc. Had it towed to my shop where it sits now.

I'm getting the ecm failure signs like engine fan going full speed when key turned to run. Starter not doing anything at all, both batteries are reading 12.4v and around 12.3v on the instrument cluster. I decided to disconnect both batts and pull the ecm and that's when I discovered a good amount of corrosion on sockets 3, 4 and 5. Most notably pin D33 broke off inside the harness plug from the ecm. I have searched for that pin's function and cannot determine what it goes to. Will try to attach pictures below.

Has anyone had any luck sending off their ECM's for repair or should I skip that route and go straight to having mine cloned. Reason I ask is because without knowing what that pin goes to that is broken, I won't know if it will make a difference on a smooth clone. I talked to Anthony at RaceIQ and he said he could do the clone to the new (used with matching part numbers) ecm. Price for "repair" from unknown to me source and RaceIQ cloning are the same. I sourced a used ecm for $275. So around $500 and I hope to be up and running the beast again.

Any thoughts or suggestions to my assessment and ideas?

Old 04-22-2019, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 722 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Source a used Motor Electronics module and have yours cloned into it. RaceIQ will work to maintain their reputation on this board.

I assume you have the hard plastic cover but do you have the secondary rubberized cover on top of it that was added to the E55 as a "belt and suspenders" approach to keeping water out of the electronics module? Looks like long-term corrosion and I'm trying to figure out how water could have consistently gotten onto the connector.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Source a used Motor Electronics module and have yours cloned into it. RaceIQ will work to maintain their reputation on this board.

I assume you have the hard plastic cover but do you have the secondary rubberized cover on top of it that was added to the E55 as a "belt and suspenders" approach to keeping water out of the electronics module? Looks like long-term corrosion and I'm trying to figure out how water could have consistently gotten onto the connector.
I do not have the rubber mat over the enclosure but I did see it mentioned in an ecm thread on here. I will pick one up to protect the new unit. I did manage to find a part with the same numbers as mine and to be honest, these are harder to find than the 05 & 06 ECM's. From what I've read you want the numbers to match for a successful flash. I could not find a solid and straight answer about the W211 v8 ecm (ME 2.0?) working properly unless it's the exact same part number, which makes sense. I live 3hrs from RaceIQ and wouldn't mind taking it to Tony to work his magic.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
E420
Me 2.8.1 all 55k cars have the same one. You can switch your immobilizer EPROMs to a used ecu, 2 total on the other side of the board.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by E42AMG???
Me 2.8.1 all 55k cars have the same one. You can switch your immobilizer EPROMs to a used ecu, 2 total on the other side of the board.
E42AMG???, are you saying I could solder my current EPROMs to the doner and that will validate the VIN "flash"? I don't mind not having the EC tune flashed over yet unless that is included on the same chips. I do have above average soldering skills if you are hinting at me being able to switch the chips myself.

Thank you both for the help so far!
Old 04-27-2019, 02:18 PM

E420
Yeah you can they are held in by some heat transfer glue so they are a little tricky to get out I’ll send some pictures
Old 04-27-2019, 02:30 PM

E420