Sponsored by:

Fueling Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
***Update Resolved***Fueling Issue

My car died last week on my way home from work just cruising along. It would restart and run for 5 seconds and die again. I had it towed home and went through some things. There is no CEL to trouble shoot. The car will prime the pumps every time, but once the prime empties from the rail the car dies again. I am able to jump from power to pin 87 on the relay socket and the car will run as normal and stay running. I have tested both relay's (it's an '06 e55) and both relays are good. So it seems to me that once the car is started the computer is not telling the pumps to continue to run. I have replaced the CPS for giggles even though I kind of knew that wasn't it. Is there another sensor that if out of spec will prevent the fuel pumps from turning on? Also, when I hook up my Xentry/DAS I am getting a "communication with control module ME-SFI 2.0 or control module ME-SFI 2.8could not be established" error, and a "no link could be established between the diagnosis gateway and the control unit" I can communicate with all other modules btw. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by 1970gsx; 05-15-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 PM

'06 E55
Not all at once guys, haha.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Is this by any chance after replacing your fuel pumps? This sounds very familiar as I had this after replacing the stock pumps with new and merc decided to swap the positive and negative terminals around on the fuel pump lid so only the pump would prime and after starting the car would run out of fuel.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:47 AM

'06 E55
No the pumps are originals. I am running it with a fused jumper wire between 86 and 87 at the relay for now. I’m leaning towards a ecm problem.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
I'd look at the rear SAM https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...chematics.html

When was your fuel filter replaced?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 AM

'06 E55
***Update Resolved***
So after leaning towards an electrical issue since I would hear the relay click off and the car would stall after 5 seconds and the car ran with a jumper wire albeit without the supercharger functioning, I put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail. (yes I know should have started there probably). Anyhow, the pressure would go to about 30psi on the prime, when started jump to 70psi and slowly fall until the relay would kick off at about 20-30 psi and the car would stall. So since I had a little fuel on top of the sender, I put the jumper wire back on and drove to Mercedes and complained about the fuel smell. They replaced the fuel tank assembly at no charge under the extended warranty. When I left the dealer it still had the jumper wire on it, and it still had no supercharger function. I pulled over and popped in the relay, and prayed it would stay running for more than 5 seconds which it did. Took of and everything was back to normal with supercharger working again So all along it was either the fuel filter was clogged or the pumps were on the way out. But, I would think if you had a small jumper wire in the glove box, and you break down due to a fueling issue, the jumper wire trick will probably get you home without a tow if you put it between the 86 and 87 pin in the relay socket. So I guess the fuel pump relay circuit is tied into the supercharger circuit also, so when things aren't correct it will cut the power down. Hopefully this will help others in the future with the same symptoms I had.
The following users liked this post:
bbirdwell (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:39 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by 1970gsx
***Update Resolved***
So after leaning towards an electrical issue since I would hear the relay click off and the car would stall after 5 seconds and the car ran with a jumper wire albeit without the supercharger functioning, I put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail. (yes I know should have started there probably). Anyhow, the pressure would go to about 30psi on the prime, when started jump to 70psi and slowly fall until the relay would kick off at about 20-30 psi and the car would stall. So since I had a little fuel on top of the sender, I put the jumper wire back on and drove to Mercedes and complained about the fuel smell. They replaced the fuel tank assembly at no charge under the extended warranty. When I left the dealer it still had the jumper wire on it, and it still had no supercharger function. I pulled over and popped in the relay, and prayed it would stay running for more than 5 seconds which it did. Took of and everything was back to normal with supercharger working again So all along it was either the fuel filter was clogged or the pumps were on the way out. But, I would think if you had a small jumper wire in the glove box, and you break down due to a fueling issue, the jumper wire trick will probably get you home without a tow if you put it between the 86 and 87 pin in the relay socket. So I guess the fuel pump relay circuit is tied into the supercharger circuit also, so when things aren't correct it will cut the power down. Hopefully this will help others in the future with the same symptoms I had.
Thanks for updating. Glad you got her sorted
Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM

'06 E55
Originally Posted by C32owner
Thanks for updating. Glad you got her sorted
Thanks! And on a side note, the jumper wire will work as a poor man's Valet mode if needed!