Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 55 or 63?

 
Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 PM
  #1  
RPB
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 609
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...
The 55 or 63?

Is the overall demand higher for a 55 or 63? I can only assume the 63 is more reliable being naturally aspirated and later production. Something tells me the 55 is more sought after though for tuning purposes.

Iím not sure of the production numbers, but considering all things are equal.

Cheers.
RPB is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 179
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E500 4matic wagon, 2006 AMG E55, 2009 Smart Fortwo
Values for both are dropping. I bought my 2006 E55 because of the low mileage and affordable tuning options. The M113 is a well-designed and proven engine, paired with the slow but robust 722.6 trans. The M156 had initial teething issues but have their own loyal fans. Just my .02 on the matter.
Chest Rockwell is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 AM
  #3  
RPB
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 609
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Values for both are dropping. I bought my 2006 E55 because of the low mileage and affordable tuning options. The M113 is a well-designed and proven engine, paired with the slow but robust 722.6 trans. The M156 had initial teething issues but have their own loyal fans. Just my .02 on the matter.
Interesting, I was not aware the 722.6 carried over.
RPB is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:39 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 674
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RPB View Post
Is the overall demand higher for a 55 or 63? I can only assume the 63 is more reliable being naturally aspirated and later production. Something tells me the 55 is more sought after though for tuning purposes.

Iím not sure of the production numbers, but considering all things are equal.

Cheers.
I think they both have their goods and bads, the E55 has a very strong proven motor and honestly not many have found the limits it may not have forged pistons but look at eurocharged stock motor, stock trans, stock blower and running 9.7 quarter at 140+mph all this on a motor with 160k these engines shine.

The trans may not be fast but its strong and in a world where it may mean the difference of a few tenths of a second to shift faster ill take a trans that can take a severe beating over a fsster shifting trans.

As for tuning ..... E55 all the way it has more options

Looks wise they very similar so i think thats comparable but the E63 is an amazing machine of its own the engine has had a few hiccups but i think people have made it out to be bigger than it really is with the headbolts, cams, and lifters. The trans is a great piece very fast and more gears as well havent heard of many problems with it.

I may be partial but i loooooove my E55 ive driven my buddies E63 an i loved alot about it but theres no getting over that massive torque of the charged 5.5 V8
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 05:23 AM
  #5  
Member
 
equitiesguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 230
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by RPB View Post
Is the overall demand higher for a 55 or 63? I can only assume the 63 is more reliable being naturally aspirated and later production. Something tells me the 55 is more sought after though for tuning purposes.

I’m not sure of the production numbers, but considering all things are equal.

Cheers.
The M113 with the 722.643 is one of the best engine designs since BMW released their M73 V12 design for the E31 (850i/ci) which was the mating of their bulletproof straight six engine into a V12 (running dual everything, including DMEs). I don't know why Chris would refer to the 722.643 as slow. It's a bulletproof transmission Mercedes used across the board on all their high torque applications, including the SL65 (and every other corresponding V12 model). The only drive train I've personally found to replace my CLS55 with in all this time is the F140C which I'm driving now (still have the 55).

The 63 design, on the other hand, is nothing but plagued with problems to the point where owners actually filed a class action lawsuit over it. Whether the legal action went anywhere or not is irrelevant --- it's clear that that entire drive train had problems. Those problems were exacerbated by the 7 speed transmission they paired it to --- which has significant problems of its own. There's plenty of threads on this forum to do a little digging of your own if you want to know the specifics, or just PM me and I'll ruin your morning.

Stay away from the E63/CLS63.

Last edited by equitiesguy; 05-14-2019 at 05:27 AM.
equitiesguy is offline  
The following users liked this post:
JB88 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 06:27 AM
  #6  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,852
Received 145 Likes on 128 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I agree with the 5 speed being a slow transmission with a mind of its own but it is very strong. Newer cars shift a lot faster and seem to have better programming. The M156 cars are awesome, look good, sound fantastic, shift faster but the 55 is a faster car overall and the newer biturbo 63's are also faster and more reliable. From a performance and reliability point of view the N/A 63 is not the best generation. 55's are generally not too bad to fix in terms of cost and difficulty, 63's can be a lot more expensive if you are unlucky enough.
tw2 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 AM
  #7  
Member
 
equitiesguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 230
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by tw2 View Post
I agree with the 5 speed being a slow transmission with a mind of its own but it is very strong. Newer cars shift a lot faster and seem to have better programming. The M156 cars are awesome, look good, sound fantastic, shift faster but the 55 is a faster car overall and the newer biturbo 63's are also faster and more reliable. From a performance and reliability point of view the N/A 63 is not the best generation. 55's are generally not too bad to fix in terms of cost and difficulty, 63's can be a lot more expensive if you are unlucky enough.
If you think the 5 speed is slow and has a programming issue, it's because you failed to properly maintain it.
equitiesguy is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Solo wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dhahran, KSA
Posts: 505
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2007 ML63 AMG
The M156 has its own share of issues ( head bolts, cams, adjusters, tappets....). With that said, I will still take it over the M113k. IMO, the E63 looks better, has the 7-G transmission, and is a lovely car overall. The sound alone is worth it.
Solo wing is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:43 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 4,062
Received 106 Likes on 92 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Originally Posted by RPB View Post
Interesting, I was not aware the 722.6 carried over.
The E63 has the 722.9 (7 speed) transmission, which is different from the E55 which has the 722.6 (5 Speed) transmission.
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 AM
  #10  
Member
 
mondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 W211 E55 AMG
personally, i have no idea as i am not very mechanically minded, but a motor mechanic i met through a mutual friend who was familiar with (and had worked on) both cars advised me to go with the 55 for reliability issues.
mondo is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:14 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 4,062
Received 106 Likes on 92 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I've owned three AMG's with the M156 engine, and I for one love it. The E55 is a beast, and I love that car as well. It's drive train is pretty bulletproof. Both cars have had it's issues, but the M156 has seen more, due to its complexity over the M113K. But the issues with the head bolts isn't universal, not all of the engines suffered from it. None of my cars has had any of these issues. But the choice if yours. If anything goes wrong with either engine it's going to cost you money period. It's an AMG "All Money Gone" But I will say this, I would trade my E63, and I wouldn't trade an E55 if I had one.
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:43 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,621
Received 132 Likes on 113 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG Pano, 2002 Audi A4 1.8t
the E55 is a more reliable car and responds better to modifications due to forced induction. the E63 has a more aggressive look and stock has a better exhaust note. if planning to jump into a E55, plan on a 2005-2006 model, or an earlier one that has been meticulously maintained.
hachiroku is online now  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 130
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
05E55-05CL500-02E430
that mechanic friend gave you good advice, i was in the same dilemma and tons of research and found the 6.3 to be well to put it kindly weak. 55 will beat the 63 in every way you test it. so why pay more for less. the 63 scores on conventional braking system i must say

Last edited by takeiteasy; 05-14-2019 at 12:55 PM.
takeiteasy is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 03:56 PM
  #14  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,852
Received 145 Likes on 128 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by equitiesguy View Post
If you think the 5 speed is slow and has a programming issue, it's because you failed to properly maintain it.
I didn't know you had a copy of my maintenance records. My car just hit 30,000 miles. I did the last fluid, filter, pilot bush change at 22,000 miles, all oem parts. What more do you want me to do to it?

This is my 3rd 722.6 AMG, they are all the same. It is a great transmission and I love the car but I am not blind to it's downsides. I don't seem to be the only one either.
tw2 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
mAMG (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:18 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Pmarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: N.Y. L.I.
Posts: 174
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's), 98 C280 (son's) 04Passat TDI(son's), 06 EB Expedition
I'm a M112 / M113 fanboy Paired with 722.6 and maintained properly is a no brainer. Now the CLK has the 722.9 it has been stout as well (hope I didn't just screw the pooch)
Pmarino is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 05:51 PM
  #16  
Member
 
equitiesguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 230
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by tw2 View Post
I didn't know you had a copy of my maintenance records. My car just hit 30,000 miles. I did the last fluid, filter, pilot bush change at 22,000 miles, all oem parts. What more do you want me to do to it?

This is my 3rd 722.6 AMG, they are all the same. It is a great transmission and I love the car but I am not blind to it's downsides. I don't seem to be the only one either.
I keep forgetting that this is really an E55 forum, and you guys are all stuck with the old transmission programming Lol. I would also wager that was the first fluid/filter change done on the transmission in ... how many years of the cars existence? Based on the way you replaced your intercooler pump in the DIY in your link, you could have any number of issues connected with the way you "changed the fluid and filter" on your transmission and the subsequent way it operates "slowly" when the 722.643 is anything but.

Last edited by equitiesguy; 05-14-2019 at 05:58 PM.
equitiesguy is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:06 PM
  #17  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 674
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by equitiesguy View Post
I keep forgetting that this is really an E55 forum, and you guys are all stuck with the old transmission programming Lol. I would also wager that was the first fluid/filter change done on the transmission in ... how many years of the cars existence? Based on the way you replaced your intercooler pump in the DIY in your link, you could have any number of issues connected with the way you "changed the fluid and filter" on your transmission and the subsequent way it operates "slowly" when the 722.643 is anything but.
Sorry brother if u think the 722.6 is quick shifting then u havent experienced a fast shifting trans. Ive been a ASE certified mechanic for 25+ years an while extremely strong the 722.6 shifts slowly an has a mind of its own. Even when driven aggressively as i drive it still doesnt learn to downshift fast or upshift fast even when using the manual mode. I have a brand new amg mb trans done on extended warranty by mb and its got all new fluids, solenoids, and valvebody and no better than my higher mileage one was. I also have the tcu tuned which doesnt help, i was told getting a new modified valvebody is the way to go. I just took a 09 E63 for a drive few weeks ago an it shifts easily twice as fast has better part throttle downshifting abilities. Then drove a c43 amg as well an it shifts like lightning i wish my E55 shifted even close to these other transmissions but not at the expense of the strength.
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 130
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by equitiesguy View Post
I keep forgetting that this is really an E55 forum, and you guys are all stuck with the old transmission programming Lol. I would also wager that was the first fluid/filter change done on the transmission in ... how many years of the cars existence? Based on the way you replaced your intercooler pump in the DIY in your link, you could have any number of issues connected with the way you "changed the fluid and filter" on your transmission and the subsequent way it operates "slowly" when the 722.643 is anything but.
I don't mean to be a dick but... I know you're not coming in here trying to say the 722.6 is a quick shifting trans . Nobody is disagreeing that it's a good, strong trans. As you stated MB used it in the V12 cars that have enormous amounts of torque and it can take a lot of abuse. But the 722.9 is quicker, then from there you start getting into new ZF boxes and dual clutches... just no. Hop in your CLS, do a WOT run through a few gears, then go on YouTube and find a pdk gt3/rs acceleration video and you'll see a quick transmission.
N_Rob is online now  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:15 PM
  #19  
Member
 
equitiesguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 230
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55amg0220 View Post
Sorry brother if u think the 722.6 is quick shifting then u havent experienced a fast shifting trans. Ive been a ASE certified mechanic for 25+ years an while extremely strong the 722.6 shifts slowly an has a mind of its own. Even when driven aggressively as i drive it still doesnt learn to downshift fast or upshift fast even when using the manual mode. I have a brand new amg mb trans done on extended warranty by mb and its got all new fluids, solenoids, and valvebody and no better than my higher mileage one was. I also have the tcu tuned which doesnt help, i was told getting a new modified valvebody is the way to go. I just took a 09 E63 for a drive few weeks ago an it shifts easily twice as fast has better part throttle downshifting abilities. Then drove a c43 amg as well an it shifts like lightning i wish my E55 shifted even close to these other transmissions but not at the expense of the strength.
Yea what would I know about fast shifting transmissions ... my other car only shifts in 100ms.

Saying youíre an ASE technician is basically laying claim to being a grease monkey. You donít know the first thing about car design.
equitiesguy is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM
  #20  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 674
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by equitiesguy View Post
Yea what would I know about fast shifting transmissions ... my other car only shifts in 100ms.

Saying youíre an ASE technician is basically laying claim to being a grease monkey. You donít know the first thing about car design.
Well and u dont know ur head from your *** claiming the 722.6 is a fast shifting trans so there ya go. As rob says this is a fast shifting trans
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 PM
  #21  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 674
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Compared with this
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:25 PM
  #22  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 674
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Or how bout this e63 hummmmm this grease mknkey sees a HUGE difference
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 PM
  #23  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 674
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Or even the 722.9 much faster
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:29 PM
  #24  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 674
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Another e55
sorry their all the same
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:32 PM
  #25  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 674
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
How bout the 722.6 in the s65 amg v12 .... its got to.be faster cus no lowly grease monkey could be right .... wait nope.its slow too
E55amg0220 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: