Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e55 amg
Does this seem right

one would think that start enable on ME should be either yes or no and not n/a
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM

2004 e55 amg
Were is the 17v coming from

It fluctuates between 17 and 12 v. Notice that the shifter position goes to --- from P.

​​​​​​

Old 11-07-2019, 04:50 PM

2004 e55 amg
Summary of this issue- no start crank for .1s

Purchased MBII scanner and now have the following codes left:
9040- Component n1/01 kO (FAN relay module) is defective or not installed
- when I clear, it stays off till I cycle the key off then on, then the code is back
930-E Syncronization with DTC memory cannot be ensured
-this code I can't clear

The main concern is that the ESM voltage is fluctuating between 12-17v. If the ECU is looking at the ESM Shifter position and sees the --- instead of P I can see how the start attempt is canceled.

Any ideas what caused the ESM voltage to spike to 17v. This is the only module with voltage reading that voltage fluctuates. rest of modules have constant voltage.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:56 PM

2004 e55 amg
I disconnected the transmission cable tonight and the car starts normal. I pulled back the passenger side carpet removed the TCM and car starts normal now. Plug in the TCM and no start. There was some sticky oily stuff on the cables, connector and the TCM. I took it out of the plastic housing and clean it up. It still does not start while connected. Is this mean that this is a bad TCM or could it still be in the trans. When I check the TCM values the "Select Lever to Position P" is NO.

Prior to no start i did transmission tuneup, by changing the Conductor plate with After market one, this was done about 6 month ago and 1000 miles ago. I used new filter and Petosin oil as recommended. The no start got worse and worse till nothing. The no start existed when I purchased the car, just very rare.

How to Troubleshoot the issue between the TCM and Trans. My gut feeling is that the TCU not giving the Select lever to P YES, it is giving NO. Not sure if this is in the transmission or TCU itself! The oil substance on the TCU and wire connector and wireing in confusing the matter. It is possible that the capacitor on the TCU circuit board leaked out and hence the oil glue like substance on the connecter and wire. But there was alot oil oil, what is wierd that is is not on the floor board only on the TCM, connector and wire loom.

The TCM controls the transmission just fine while driving and such. All functionality is there to manual shift on both the paddle shifts and stick shift. Trans runs great, just that the P signal is not existent causing the ECU to cancel start once initiated.

Can anyone please help?

Last edited by pasta; 11-08-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:17 PM

2004 e55 amg
Originally Posted by duccen
Thats a known issue with gearboxoil pushing up from the connector on the trans to the tcu,through the wiring loom.replace the connector on the trans.
have you cleaned the tcu inside from oil?
Could also be the gearshift assembly,does the instrument cluster read N when in neutral?
The connector was replaced at same time as the plate. Less than 1k miles ago. I cleaned the TCU, no change. I took the gear shifter apart last night, the shifter indicates the correct lights and indicators on both the dash and shifter. The MBIi detects the right shifts also!
Old 11-12-2019, 11:49 PM

2004 e55 amg
The TCM was replaced today and the same issue exists, will not crank while TCM is connected. When the multiple wire connector is disconnected the car starts right up. There are no DCM code on the TCM. The only thing seems weird is Select lever to P NO. This must be coming from the transmission. Does anyone know what wire is this signal on? Is there a place in the trans that when in Park this gets set? The connector plate was changed about 1000 miles ago, the issue existed before that change.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:03 PM

W203 C180, W204 C200
Hi Pasta, I'm wondering if you ever got this resolved? I have virtually the same symptoms and the problem has been there since I bought the car a few years back. Was just an occasional occurrence but more likely to happen when hot. Mine is also a 2004 E55. I've changed out the starter and when working it seems to crank faster than it ever has before. I am looking strongly at the "Starter Lockout Contact" which is part of the conductor plate. I do have record that it has been replaced in the past with the previous owner, but maybe it's a non-genuine aftermarket like the one you installed also which is creating problems somehow.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:06 PM

W203 C180, W204 C200
Here is a good description of what is is and how it works...

https://workshop-manuals.com/mercede...ift/page_6988/