W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know the NVH of the W211 chassis?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Anybody know the NVH of the W211 chassis?

Hey guys...just curious as I recently rode in a Tesla Model S this past week.

I did not enjoy the NVH of the Model S. Maybe the W211 has spoiled me but I easily became nauseous because of the NVH. Possibly because the stiffness of the chassis? Anyway, would anybody happen to know the NVH of the W211 chassis? I'll see if I can get a reading on my phone sometime this week. It'll be a while before I sit in another Tesla to gather a baseline on the same device though. To note, my 2003 Audi A4 1.8t Avant Quattro is pretty quiet inside also.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...ise-evaluation
Full Disclosure: I am a long-time automotive noise and vibration engineer and live in the Bay Area working at one of the many EV startups (not Tesla). But I did spend nearly 5 years at Tesla developing the NVH behavior of the Model S (and beginning the Model X), so I know well the noise behaviors of these cars. I am happy to say that I just received my own Model 3 (VIN17xxx) and naturally performed some noise benchmarking tests on it. I have access to a Model S P100D (VIN160XXX) and a Mercedes S-550. Below are results of my road noise testing. I test these cars on a moderately coarse surface at 45 MPH (to minimize wind and engine noise), at both the driver's outboard ear and right rear passenger outboard ear locations.

Driver's Ear:
Model 3 - 67 dBA
Model S - 65 dBA
MB S-550 - 61 dBA

Rear Passenger:
Model 3 - 69 dBA
Model S - 67 dBA
MB S-550 - 62 dBA

As you can see, the Model 3 performs well (in general, anything lower than 70 dBA on this road is good), and while not quite as quiet as the Model S, it nonetheless is very comfortable. Of course, the MB S-550 is the champion here and nothing I have ever tested comes close. You'll also notice that the rear seat is consistently louder than the front, but that the S-550 does a better job of balancing that. The Model 3 rear seat does sound a little "open" due to noise coming from the trunk area, but it is not objectionable.

Kudos to the Tesla NVH Team as this is very good performance for a car in this class. I will also mention that wind noise is actually better in my Model 3 than in the Model S I have access to. The door sealing system (especially near the mirror base) is much improved in the Model 3 and it makes a huge difference. Nice job!

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Tesla have good electric motor technology but everything I see shows they aren't very good at actually making cars. My 91 mr2 has similar dB readings at 108km/he on a chip seal highway. The w211 is way ahead.