W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Cooling The Brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2004 | 12:17 AM

Cooling The Brakes?

I've been having a ball recently tracking my 04' E55 on a big track locally. It's design plays well to the E55, big sweepers, hills, long straightaways and lots of space to put the horsepower down.

I am having the Brake Temp. Warning Lamp Illumnate on occasion - and am wondering if there is a way to drive a bit more fresh air to the binders - mainly up front. Ideas?

BTW - I'm not sure where the 'E55 doesn't handle' crowd live, several pro-drivers have taken my E55 out on the track and they are all astounded by the grip and sure footedness this car has.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2004 | 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
can't help you, but where is this track? IT sounds awesome.
Old 07-10-2004 | 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Since you're on a track, your brakes are bound to heat up due to constant usage. Dr. Chill should be able to provide you with more info. It only takes minutes until your brakes overheat when you're on the track.
Old 07-10-2004 | 08:20 PM

2002 MB E55 AMG
Carbon fiber brake ducts are available.

There are hybrid pads (Porterfield??) between true street and true track pads - maybe consider those. Short of a big brake kit, that is.

TJC
Old 07-11-2004 | 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Nobody makes ducts for this car. I had mine fabricated by Mosler Motorsports, maker of the MT900 Photon.

Porterfield now makes a full race pad for our car. Performance low dust street pads are also available I believe. I have a set of the race (R-4) pads that will be installed sometime in the next 2 weeks. I am in contact with a company that will soon have a 2 piece lightweight rotor for our car that retains the stock caliper. I already have steel brake lines and Castrol SRF. The weight of this car causes a lot of heat buildup which is very dangerous with SBC due to the lack of feedback.

Last track event I almost lost it in a turn when my brakes went out after running 10 minutes with the warning message displayed. When I hit pit road, my brake pads were in flames and had to be extinguished.

So, next time my pads, lines, and fluid will have much better heat tolerance, and the system should not fail. Racing slicks will also really help braking as well.

If you plan on driving very aggressively on the track with a stock setup, BEWARE!

Last edited by Dr Chill; 07-11-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2004 | 10:22 PM

2002 MB E55 AMG
Sorry, Dr. C - I didn't realize yours were custom made

TJC
Old 07-12-2004 | 08:36 AM

Please listen to Chill. I had the same problem (although my pads never lit up, just white chalky powder). If you are going to track the car ... which is great fun, really spend some time on brake cooling. I lost my brakes WITHOUT NOTICE after about 20 minutes. Because of the electronic brakes, you get no feel or warning. This can be very dangerous. I got about 1/2 stopping power and was able to take an exit but if I had no room, it could have been ugly.