Broken idler pulley - ways to improve?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
'04 E55 Wagon
Broken idler pulley - ways to improve?

Hi.

Looks like I bought a car with a broken idler pulley. Funny is, that the belt runs fine and if I wasn't in a "start of a relationship meinteneance" routine I wouldn't probably even notice that.

Broken idler pulley - ways to improve?-ihefebr.jpg

As replacement dual pulley set is rather on expensive side for a plastic made ****) I decided to let my machinist friends fabricate the second pulley out of aluminum.
They're freaky guys and usually they do some more engineering to the things that I bring, so they decided to make the new pulley rotate on two bearings and also maybe modify the first (supercharger belt) pulley into dual bearing setup.

I'm totally new to Mercedes but I know that you guys do a lot of stuff to your belts and pulleys and what not
I read some, but I'm not able to read everything about the pulleys in one night. Especially when I'm not interested in power gains (at the moment )

Let's say that my car will not get any changes in size of any pulley due to power needs (at least for now ) is there anything more that can/should be done with those pulleys now, by the way of fabrication?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
You can sort a replacement pretty cheaply. Search $27 bbirdwell pulley and you will see the thread. Otherwise all the vendors will sell individual aluminum pulleys. VRP sell any/all of them.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:59 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Most the OEM idlers fail at some point. Mine went out at 32K. We keep all those kits in stock and designed them for our cars back 10 years ago. We use large slots in them to help with the cooling and heat dissipation.
On sale right now.
http://ultimatepd.com/mercedes-m113-...idler-set.html

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd