Sponsored by:

Wheel Speed Sensor Going??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 08:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
01 E55
Wheel Speed Sensor Going??

I had an odd thing happen while driving.

I got an ESP message, visit workshop. well.. bummer.. tried to use cruise control.. again, failure message.. Well damn...

Anyway.. Got to my destination, hung out a bit.. got back in the car.. no messages, and no issues.. cruise control working just fine.. and no stored codes?? Could this be the start of a wheel speed sensor going out? Almost seems I'd have to catch the fault with the car running as it seems to go away if the car is turned off. Kinda weird. Seems odd to trip a fault and then have it clear on its own.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
That is odd to not have something in history...using STAR or MBII scanner? I had a similar thing happen that turned out to be one of the accelerator sensors that mount on top of the front struts, it eventually coded in the suspension computer.

Happened after some work and I'm sure I set a wrench or two on top of it, probably ended its life haha.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
01 E55
Originally Posted by GinDistiller
That is odd to not have something in history...using STAR or MBII scanner? I had a similar thing happen that turned out to be one of the accelerator sensors that mount on top of the front struts, it eventually coded in the suspension computer.

Happened after some work and I'm sure I set a wrench or two on top of it, probably ended its life haha.

I wasn't using either scanner, I have an OBD II scanner, just not one of those. It didn't pick up anything. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a STAR. Could be what I have just doesn't read in the area it needs to?
Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Originally Posted by 90lxracer
I wasn't using either scanner, I have an OBD II scanner, just not one of those. It didn't pick up anything. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a STAR. Could be what I have just doesn't read in the area it needs to?
Bingo. OBD won't pick up codes like that. The MBII is what I bought, it won't program like STAR but it's 1/5 the price and will work for so many diagnostics on these cars.